• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Det lengths

M

Melchett01

Hearing rumours from the Lincolnshire Ivory Towers that not only are dets going to move to 6 months to pacify the army (old news), but that a number of dets will now be 12 months.

Can any one comment, either on the likely truth of the rumour or the likely impact on PVR rates.

C

Crabbity Ann

I've heard the 6 month rumour before but not the 12 month one. That would seriously suck ass! Would definately make me consider leaving since Mr CA is same trade,...could potentially go 2 years without seeing each other :pDT_Xtremez_42:

Tbh, can't see it happenin (12 months) unless it really is only a handful of dets.

Last edited:
M

Melchett01

From what I have heard, this concerns a handful of herrick dets. Could just be the tip of the iceberg though. Can't see the deskies complaining about it - rather than having to find several people per year to fill a slot, you just have to find one. More time for brown nosing and golf!

Time to dust of the CV?

C

Crabbity Ann

Just noticed this is in Spooks (eyes are weapons and all that, hehe), u talkin specifically about IA dets?

Robby

Corporal
Somebody must be suffering from heat stroke or something. - Flt Cdrs- sorry SNCOS are already going to get hit with the annual leave changes next year and as many of us 'support trades' are already miles away from FOB's can you imagine the grief from fitness test,dental, jab 'failures' and other statistic hits! Plus when individuals return they will have to take the mandated leave (the new DIN identifies 28 days entitled!!!) from last year + PODL + this years leave that really screws career profiles and currency, in light of all this its a non starter, on past performance, when will their Air Ships say yes! :pDT_Xtremez_09:

I

ICATQ

Alot more are becoming 6, not heard a whiff of 12 apart from some sad johnnys down the FI.

:pDT_Xtremez_14:

I

Inch High PI

I attended the AMP briefing a few weeks ago and I believe 6 monthers are being considered for some trades, Int An being one of them. I think 12 monthers may well be for senior officers Wg Cdrs and above etc.

6 monthers aren't that bad, and hopefully it will sort out the harmony times for some trades that are getting hammered with dets right now.

I

ICATQ

I attended the AMP briefing a few weeks ago and I believe 6 monthers are being considered for some trades, Int An being one of them. I think 12 monthers may well be for senior officers Wg Cdrs and above etc.

6 monthers aren't that bad, and hopefully it will sort out the harmony times for some trades that are getting hammered with dets right now.

Personally I dont have an issue with 6 months. Suits me to do 6 away and then 24 back, plus £2300 smackers :)

The word on the street here at Task Force Helmand HQ is that many of the NFU posts are going to change to 6 months and be harmonised with brigade RIPS. It will start with the commissioned posts then SNCO and finally Cpl and below.

I

ICATQ

The word on the street here at Task Force Helmand HQ is that many of the NFU posts are going to change to 6 months and be harmonised with brigade RIPS. It will start with the commissioned posts then SNCO and finally Cpl and below.

Yep - that has been promulagated in the UK for some of our NFU posts, all the FU ones are at 6 months anyway.

M

Melchett01

The rumour doing the rounds at my end of the trench is that the dets being considered for 12 months at the RC(S) HQ dets. With the Spams coming in, they are concerned about our 'playing at ops' with short dets and would like us to move to 12 monthers in key posts.

L

Lincolnshire Central

All RC(S) HQ posts for Sgt and above will be 6 months from Sep. Army wanted 12 months, RAF maintaining 6 months max for SO2 and below. All other posts remaining 4 months TFN.

L

Lincolnshire Central

The Int Policy Office now has the full list of det and lengths, if you have any questions about specific det lengths please call.

R

Ricit XIII

Some of us unfortunate enough to be with Army units at present did a 9 1/2 month formed unit to the Stan..DOH! :pDT_Xtremez_09:

L

LOZ

The last I heard was that the Army were whinging about our det lengths, mainly that we were getting 4 months and a day so that we got a week's R&R. The talk was that we would either extend to 6 months, in line with most other deployments, or drop a day and not get R&R. To be honest, if they're going to drop the det time I'd rather do 3 months with no R&R because this would be easier on dependants and workload on everyone else back at parent unit. I know this would mean I'd probably have to go back on det more often, but until we have enough manpower to cope with the workload we've already got back home, I think it would make sense to keep time away from actual work (whether for det or PODL) to a minimum - and reducing the det would make this work.

L

LOZ

Plus, reducing the time in theatre should (in theory) reduce the odds of getting blown to smithereens...

:pDT_Xtremez_09:

Realist78

Master of my destiny
The last I heard was that the Army were whinging about our det lengths, mainly that we were getting 4 months and a day so that we got a week's R&R. The talk was that we would either extend to 6 months, in line with most other deployments, or drop a day and not get R&R. To be honest, if they're going to drop the det time I'd rather do 3 months with no R&R because this would be easier on dependants and workload on everyone else back at parent unit. I know this would mean I'd probably have to go back on det more often, but until we have enough manpower to cope with the workload we've already got back home, I think it would make sense to keep time away from actual work (whether for det or PODL) to a minimum - and reducing the det would make this work.

AT are having a headache as it is without increasing the frequency of det turnarounds.

L

LOZ

AT are having a headache as it is without increasing the frequency of det turnarounds.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that reducing the amount of time on det is the best option, that would just be my preferred choice (and probably my family's). I just think it's a catch 22 situation - if det times are extended then it will probably have an impact on PVRs (because most things do these days), and the additional PODL & time in theatre will no doubt have repercussions on those left manning the fort back in the UK. Either way, there will always be someone who isn't happy!