• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

DE Sgt Controllers.

R_Squared

Flight Sergeant
Right I give up, For the last time,

I support Direct Entrants.

I have never said I didn't, never had a pop at them, and reviewing my entries I can't see why the last few contributors seem to think I don't.

I made the mistake of disagreeing on a couple of points with SSH, and I've spent the last few posts trying to defend my position.

This was not meant to be a bl@@dy fight, just a discussion FFS.

SirSaltyHelmet

Thoroughly Nice Chap
**** me readers, you can disagree with anything I say all you want! There is no mistake in disagreeing.

All I was saying is look at it from an unblinkered view.

I

insideinfoman

Look at the RN, they do not join up as assistants, they join as every trade under the sun. They then apply to become an HC. Works for them.

Actually they do now take them straight off the streets. Before they started to do their own course down at Yeovilton we had a few come through the school.

Just a small point, nothing more :pDT_Xtremez_28:

Chaka

Sergeant
Ed set. Trust me, a single instructor doesn't have the ability to get someone 'chopped'.

Hmmmm (for once) is correct.

To my amusement both R0jaws and Ed set took the bait, suckers! :pDT_Xtremez_14: :pDT_Xtremez_28:

Banter over then, are we all agreed the DE's are a good idea then?

Oh yes, welcome back to Insideouttrouserlegman,where have you been?:pDT_Xtremez_19:

I

insideinfoman

Off Topic :pDT_Xtremez_34:

You know Chaka, here and there and nowhere in particular these days. Having a laugh over this thread, both should know better really!

Hey Ho, back to the RIE event Yawn Yawn.
:pDT_Xtremez_28:

Chaka

Sergeant
Off Topic :pDT_Xtremez_34:

You know Chaka, here and there and nowhere in particular these days. Having a laugh over this thread, both should know better really!

Hey Ho, back to the RIE event Yawn Yawn.
:pDT_Xtremez_28:

Insidelegman- Welcome back to Banter City!

Not much input from the 'Window-lickers' at CATCS about this Sgt DE malarky, shame really thought they would have some input. :pDT_Xtremez_26:

Maybe they are still getting over the shock over merging with the Scope Dopes at Boulmer?:pDT_Xtremez_42:

N

Never Alert

An interesting thread with plenty of good points.

As a SNCO FC, I'm actually relieved that we will NOT be recruiting DE SNCO FCs. The airships have stated that despite the shortfall of controllers, TG12 continues to offer an acceptable pool fom which SNCO FCs are selected. Tis could get interesting if we do amalgamate.

I think getting somebody to do the airmen aircrew course prior to JATCC is a loser. IAATC is designed to get civvies into aircrew mode, with a hint of SNCO stuff thrown in. It won't work in an environment where the newbie Sgts will come into constant contact with JRs.

Ab initio airmen aircrew get the rank due to the responsibilities of the job, not a bad thing I should add, and during their first few tours, they have very little impact on JRs careers.

Y

You Can Call Me Al

DE Controllers

DE Controllers

'Tis a good thing to be sure. As with all untried schemes it will have teething problems initially, which all of us have a responsibility to iron-out.

Never Alert raises an interesting point about the suitability of IAATC as a training vehicle for our DEs - if it really is not that effective, the problems that Chaka alludes to (CATCS having to instil/train SNCO 'qualities') will not only still be present, but may well be magnified.

Let's wait and see...

M

Mozilla_man

Whats the difference between a 21 year old Plt Off controller and a 21 Year old Sgt controller - nothing.....................................

Hmm let me think guard commander duties, orderly sgt duties all **** jobs lower priority on the training list and even less of a clue whenm it comes to them being 1st RO at least theres no chance of the P/O being a 1st RO. AT least fast trackers had done the job for three years.......

M

Mozilla_man

Insidelegman- Welcome back to Banter City!

Not much input from the 'Window-lickers' at CATCS about this Sgt DE malarky, shame really thought they would have some input. :pDT_Xtremez_26:

Maybe they are still getting over the shock over merging with the Scope Dopes at Boulmer?:pDT_Xtremez_42:

maybe it the proposed joint training centre at scampton thats kept them quiet...

Hmmmm

SAC
Hmm let me think guard commander duties, orderly sgt duties all **** jobs lower priority on the training list and even less of a clue whenm it comes to them being 1st RO at least theres no chance of the P/O being a 1st RO. AT least fast trackers had done the job for three years.......

mozzie, wake up and smell the coffee. At a certain West London area radar unit the 1st tourist officers act as 1st ROs. As for fast trackers, they go wibble just as much as the rest, despite 3 years of 'experience'. Cut along a put the kettle on, will you.

N

Never Alert

maybe it the proposed joint training centre at scampton thats kept them quiet...

If it comes to Scampton, I will laugh my socks off as you've no idea how much that will p@ss Boulmer off!

It should come down to who has the best infrastructure & as it stands, I don't think Boulmer has the room for a large influx of people although it does have the infrastructure. Not a fan of the school though, it was built on the cheap and you can tell.

Scampton needs ALOT of work however, there is plenty of room and the infrastructure is more or less there.

Let's not get away from the idea of any merged school being at an ATC unit, our kit is PC based & could be moved without too much pain however, I'm not sure about the ATC kit as I've never seen it.

I'm down at LATCC this Fri - Mon & it will be interesting to catch a few mins with the ATC guys and find out if there is any decent info floating around.

Last edited:

Hmmmm

SAC
NA, look forward to seeing you guys. Just a suggestion (and not meant in a derogatory or patronising fashion), why don't you guys hang around for a while after you have done the usual stuff and see some of the issues from our end? Its not as if you can shoot off to the bar for a few bevvies and, after all, we all wear the same uniform.

PS. I've just noticed someone on the forum has given me a "Queenie" medal. I'll wear that one with pride!!

B

BuckyOHare

Just had a thought,
I think we should have some sort of badge so that others can see that we are 'plastic' snecs now like the aircrew.
Maybe ATC in silver letters to be affixed to our rank tabs, sweet.
:pDT_Xtremez_15:

You want to look like Air Training Corps Adult Sergeants?

N

Never Alert

NA, look forward to seeing you guys. Just a suggestion (and not meant in a derogatory or patronising fashion), why don't you guys hang around for a while after you have done the usual stuff and see some of the issues from our end? Its not as if you can shoot off to the bar for a few bevvies and, after all, we all wear the same uniform.

PS. I've just noticed someone on the forum has given me a "Queenie" medal. I'll wear that one with pride!!

I'll certainly hang around for a while, looking forward to it.

Do you have a Starbucks?!!

Hmmmm

SAC
Do we have a Starbucks? You've been living in the dark ages for too long. Proper canteen with proper food (including Starbucks at 80p/shot). Civvis wouldn't accept anything less.