• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cyprus Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

GunnerP

SAC
Its a long long time since I was posted to Akrotiti. Can anyone tell me if you can cross from south to north in a hire car?

Never did venture over when I was there. Though I remember some of the lads coming back wearing all the hooky gear they had bought on the Turk side so as not to get it impounded.

Can you still do it? Has anything changed in the past 12 years or so?

P

penfold93

Rex Craymer Man of Danger
Staff member
Subscriber
Lledra Palace is still a foot crossing but the car crossing point is not far out of Nicosia rather than Dhekelia way. Well it was 18 months ago. The only thing to check with a hire car is insurance. But did see plenty of 'Z' plates on the north side.

G

gunner j 344

Its a long long time since I was posted to Akrotiti

Its a long long time since I was posted to Akrotiti

Its a long long time since I was posted to Akrotiti .
gunner p there is no more EOKA to fight they had a cease fire in 1959.
go on old timer have some fun in the sun:pDT_Xtremez_28:

Fearless Leader

Corporal
Its a long long time since I was posted to Akrotiti. Can anyone tell me if you can cross from south to north in a hire car?

Yes you can mate, I went there during my holiday earlier this year. There's 5 crossings now, 1 on foot at Ledra as Penfold said and 4 for cars.

Of the 4 for cars, 2 are to the East of Lefkosia (Nicosia) and 2 to the West. The easterly ones are at Pergamos and Ay Nik, but I did hear a rumour that the 4 Mile Inn at Ay Nik has closed so you wouldn't be able to stage out of there if it's true.

When the wife and me crossed we went North via the crossing just to the west of Lefkosia at Agios Dometios. It was very straightforward, we bought insurance for the North - they had packages that covered you for 1, 3 or 7 days or something like that I seem to remember and had our passports checked and we were on our way. Half an hour after that we were in Kyrenia.

We recrossed to the South via the border point at Zodhia, just to the South of Morfou, it was a nice drive and when you re-enter the Republic you can head West towards Pafos, Polis and the Troodos Mountains or you can head East and you end up back near Lefkosia to pick up the motorway again.

I was out there 91 to 94 and the motorway that was being built has now been completed linking Pafos with Lemesos (Limassol) and out to the east and Agia Napa. We had a Lonely Planet and found it very handy for the holiday.

GunnerP

SAC
Thanks for the replys, except gunner j 344, who is obviously still a bit drunk from sniffing the barmaids apron:pDT_Xtremez_09:
Stopping in Paphos in early November, and hiring a car for the week (as gunner j 344 will probably recall, I have an aversion to using Cyp Taxi's - having ended up in the Pokey last time I took one:pDT_Xtremez_17: )

P

Fearless Leader

Corporal
GunnerP, when you go - we stayed in Polis - you can either head up the motorway which is fairly quick but just be careful of speed traps as the Police now seem to be proactive then when I was out there or go over the mountains which is more picturesque.

Have a nice holiday.

G

gunner j 344

taxi for gunner p

taxi for gunner p

but i'm sure he did say jehovah

GunnerP

SAC
GunnerP, when you go - we stayed in Polis - you can either head up the motorway which is fairly quick but just be careful of speed traps as the Police now seem to be proactive then when I was out there or go over the mountains which is more picturesque.

Have a nice holiday.

Thanks for the tip, but I only speed on my motorcycle, honest:pDT_Xtremez_40: :pDT_Xtremez_40:

P

Status
Not open for further replies.