• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Custom fitted Ear Defenders

StickyFingers

Sergeant
So

I got the tinnitus, so my right ear is having a hard time passing the hearing test.

I'm looking at getting myself some custom fitted ear defenders.

Will the RAF help pay for them or will I get "No we provide the Yellow in ear ones and Peltor over ears ones,use them"

Thought I'd ask before I drop £150 on 2 bits of silicone.

Barch

Grim Reaper 2016
1000+ Posts
Whatever you do, DO NOT use any type of ear protection that is not authorised by the RAF otherwise any future claim you may have will be voided.

StickyFingers

Sergeant
Good gen.

What about outside work, gigs and that?

Look amazing if I rocked up to see Take That with olive green cans on

ninjarabbi

Warrant Officer
Good gen.

What about outside work, gigs and that?

Look amazing if I rocked up to see Take That with olive green cans on

Just go and see Iron Maiden, I guarantee your tinnitus will be cured (or your hearing so damaged you'll never notice).

Rigga

Licensed Aircraft Engineer
1000+ Posts
Licensed A/C Eng
I have a hearing aid and tinnitus. Before my need for an Aid my tinnitus was so loud I couldnt make out speech in a noisy room.
My advice is to speak with your MO and GET custom Ear Defenders - this should NOT affect your hearing claim (unless MOD change there rules) the fact that you need custom defenders now means that the RAF acknowledge your hearing loss and are helping to reduce the severity for your future.
If there is a refusal, this should open your claim to wilful hearing damage by your employer at a later time...remind them of that fact.
In ALL cases get customised ear plugs and make sure they fit in your Defs...your hearing is worth much, much more than any money.

SAXAVORDIAN

Sergeant
You could check with the NHS in relation to hearing issues. While visiting North Manchester General Hospital I noticed a poster asking for volunteers to a Manchester research department in town for Tinnitus conditions. So I guess there must be similar setups around England. I have a very mild form that occasionally flares up but sometimes a free tone test on the internet can help narrow down the particular pitch. I still recall when finishing the career in the RAF the medical centre did a hearing tone test to ensure I was fit enough for discharge.

StickyFingers

Sergeant
Went for a hearing test a few weeks ago and she asked if I was wearing ear plugs, told her yea, she looked in my ear and said I couldn't do the test because I'd compacted wax in there pushing the plugs in (Least I wasn't lying)

Gotta get them syringed, I'll ask about the custom defs then (Plus you can't get moulds done with wax in your ear holes anyway)