• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Crimpng for idiots

Entropy

Sergeant
I need to repair a wire on my car. I have decided to go down the crimping route and use a butt splice.. I have 2 crimp tools a cheap Draper one with oval closure and a slightly more expensive ratchet crimper with an oval closure on one jaw and a raised square 'tooth' on the other jaw.. My question is which tool should I use for an insulated round butt splice crimp? A clean compression with the cheap tool or a the one leaving an imprint on the crimp?

rocket scientist

Sergeant
Aircraft inline splices are uninsulated and are covered with a heatshrink boot. Go see the fairies, get a selection from them, use the more expensive crimp tool and then use a heat gun to insulate the crimp.

Entropy

Sergeant
I have some self sealing crimps that you crimp and apply heat. The shroud shrinks and releases a glue to seal it. Apparently they are the mutts nutts and super for addressing loss of connection due to vibration.

Late & Tired

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts
I think my old Ford Cortina weighed an extra 2Lb, with all the extra 'Spade Connectors' that I bought and used from Halfords every Sunday morning.
Gosh, anything new, flash looking and electrical got hot wired in; bugger to start sometimes....