• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricket World Cup

• Thread starter Homer's Right Hand Man
  • Start date

Cricket World Cup

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
H

Homer's Right Hand Man

Next week, on Tuesday 13th, the Cricket World Cup 'kicks off'. Who do you think is in with a chance? Have the Aussies still got it, have England peaked at the right time, are Scotland and Ireland just there to make up the numbers? Personnally, although an England fan, I just have this hunch that the West Indies will go all the way this year. England will do well and may perhaps reach the semis.

What does everyone else think?

vim_fuego

Hung Like a Baboon.
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
South Africa appear to be the team on consistant form so I'd put a tenner on to win for them with a fiver each way on England due to patriotism and blind optimism...

I'm slightly biased towards S. Africa as Jacques Kallis was our club pro when I was a junior so I got the benefit of having him take nets and impart his knowledge...:pDT_Xtremez_30:

H

Homer's Right Hand Man

South Africa appear to be the team on consistant form so I'd put a tenner on to win for them with a fiver each way on England due to patriotism and blind optimism...

I'm slightly biased towards S. Africa as Jacques Kallis was our club pro when I was a junior so I got the benefit of having him take nets and impart his knowledge...:pDT_Xtremez_30:

South Africa, even though it's a friendly, are putting up a poor show against Ireland at the moment. Like to see Graeme Smith do well though as he was the last man to bring a trophy to the County Ground.:pDT_Xtremez_14:

Humble Scribe

Sergeant
Going to be an interesting one especially as the Aussies have had their ar$es spanked recently; unfortunately though I can't see them losing it (but I hope I'm wrong!). India look a good bet too and as for England....... quarters then pack your bags lads, sorry to say.

Sospan

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts
I was pretty confident about England's chances after the last few ODI in OZ, however seeing them wobble at the crease today against a 20 stone Bermuda policeman Dwayne Leverock was rather disturbing albeit strangely amusing.

TrickyTree

Sergeant
Ha ha, you just knew England would struggle against Bermuda, that was always going to happen.

Despite five straight defeats in ODI's and injuries notwithstanding I still find it hard to see past Australia. Although if they meet South Africa there's the small matter of a certain game at Edgbaston, whose ghosts the Proteas will be keen to lay to rest.

I think India will prove a tough nut to crack as well, as will Sri Lanka, and because of the three home wins against the Aussies (and not because their captain is also captain of Nottinghamshire :pDT_Xtremez_15: ) I reckon the Kiwis could be dark horses this year.

Not too sure about West Indies though and Pakistan are just a bunch of cheating b******s.

In sum, Australia to win, losing semi-finalists to be India, New Zealand and South Africa. But I'll vote for England because, well, you have to, don't you?

Scaley brat

Trekkie Nerd
1000+ Posts
I think Australia are going to pull the metaphorical rabbit out of the hat to win this. England can never be ruled out, they have talented players and more jam than any other country in this competition.

At least Shane Warne will only be spectating this year, so everyone else should have an equal chance :pDT_Xtremez_14:

If the final is England vs Australia, I will go for England. Not patriotism, just the Ashes revenge factor.

Tin basher

Knackered Old ****
Staff member
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
My heart says England :pDT_Xtremez_30: and I do hope we win it but common sense means selecting another team.
The Aussies have problems at the moment Brett Lee out of the tournament, Andrew Symonds struggling with injury, not sure if their back up guys can step up to the mark. Semi finals at best ::p:
S. Africa the nearly men this time round just think they won't get it together in the windies. :pDT_Xtremez_34:
My view this years winners will be India. Ganguly, Tendulkar etc with the bat and Harbijan Singh and Anil Kumble two quality spinners and the ball will turn out there and it is unlikely to swing much.

:pDT_Xtremez_30: Saying all that COME ON ENGLAND:pDT_Xtremez_28:

I am an England fan, and hope they can at least earn some respect, now that the world has seen how poor England can be when a tour is not properly organised!
My worry is that Englands bowling may not be economic enough, while the big name batsmen are far from consistent.

Oz are always going to be up there, but I think their top order will always be vunerable to being over macho and getting themselves out.......that just leaves you with getting Hussey back to the showers! may be easier now he won't have Brett Lee to back him up in the final overs!

SA - questionable mental strength, overrated bowling

Srilanka , PAK and IND world beaters on their day

WI - would be great for the game, but I can't see it - stand by for one last Lara moment though!

my money is on NZ. Batting right down the order, easily capable of 300+ and Bond is awesome new baller. Team ethic is great too.

H

Homer's Right Hand Man

I am an England fan, and hope they can at least earn some respect, now that the world has seen how poor England can be when a tour is not properly organised!
My worry is that Englands bowling may not be economic enough, while the big name batsmen are far from consistent.

Oz are always going to be up there, but I think their top order will always be vunerable to being over macho and getting themselves out.......that just leaves you with getting Hussey back to the showers! may be easier now he won't have Brett Lee to back him up in the final overs!

SA - questionable mental strength, overrated bowling

Srilanka , PAK and IND world beaters on their day

WI - would be great for the game, but I can't see it - stand by for one last Lara moment though!

my money is on NZ. Batting right down the order, easily capable of 300+ and Bond is awesome new baller. Team ethic is great too.[/QUOTE]

Good win against Sri Lanka yesterday but beaten by Bangladesh on Tuesday, ouch! I don't think these warm up games though will give too much indication as to who will do well though. Still going to stick with WI to win, England to make the semis. :pDT_Xtremez_42:

H

Homer's Right Hand Man

Best game so far, glad I listened to it. Ireland 221/9, Zimbabwe 221/ao. Game tied. Zimbabwe were 203/5, what a finish by the Irish. :pDT_Xtremez_28:

Tin basher

Knackered Old ****
Staff member
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Best game so far, glad I listened to it. Ireland 221/9, Zimbabwe 221/ao. Game tied. Zimbabwe were 203/5, what a finish by the Irish. :pDT_Xtremez_28:

Yes I agree best game so far hope Englands games are as interesting whilst we win to rousing cheers obviously. Ireland played really well never giving up even when it looked a lost cause at times. If only they could catch they would have been home and dry with overs to spare. Well played indeed. Don't give them much chance with the other group matches sadly as it would be nice to see at least one emerging nation in the last 8.

Last edited:

Humble Scribe

Sergeant
As I write, England have just scrapped past 200 (well played Plunkett/Nixon) V NZ. Shouldn't be enough but I've got this funny feelin' it might just be. We'll see!!

H

Homer's Right Hand Man

Hopefully I haven't jinxed them (touch wood!!!!) but Ireland might have something to cheer about after the rugby. They bowled out Pakistan for 132 and are 47/2 after 17 overs. Come on Ireland. :pDT_Xtremez_30:

Looking good for Bangladesh against India too.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.