• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cost Of Living (RAF Coningsby)

Tin basher

Knackered Old ****
Staff member
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Even allowing for journalistic licence it does seem like there a grain if truth in the story, but.

"There are individuals who can no longer even afford the price of the subsidised meals at their mess"

This strap line in particluar brought back thoughts of the beginnings of "pay as you dine" and comments mentioned in these hallowed halls at the time, of what was quickly dubbed, "save as you starve". Singlies running out money before they run out of month is long standing tradition

busby1971

Super Moderator
Staff member
1000+ Posts
Some people cant manage their money and others will be at the edge of food bank use on a monthly basis.

Not the best situation, but at least when I spent all my money in the first 2 weeks of the month I still had three meals a day to fall back on.

People need to have some financial education and help setting up a budget, most will find themselves in this situation due to previous poor decisions or a life event so victim blaming doesnt really help anyone

kawoloki

Sergeant
Some people cant manage their money and others will be at the edge of food bank use on a monthly basis.

Not the best situation, but at least when I spent all my money in the first 2 weeks of the month I still had three meals a day to fall back on.

People need to have some financial education and help setting up a budget, most will find themselves in this situation due to previous poor decisions or a life event so victim blaming doesnt really help anyone

Yep we all knew one or two lads who had the latest hot hatch on tic for 3/4 of their wages and had no money for about 26 days every month..

The point about meals in the mess is spot on though, you never went hungry under the old system if you were living in the block...

Junter

LAC
Not just singlies either, I knew some married couples especially out in Germany who had a nice car, latest electronic kit and were frequently out on the p1ss but were usually looking to borrow by the end of the month

Downsizer

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Before I left a few months ago there was a big trawl for info from the highers asking for feedback from any personnel struggling......it was only a matter of time before this got into the press. But at least they were aware and trying to do something....

Lets distill this down to what it really is though, secondary duty w@nker sets up a foodbank for the local community to get promoted and a handful of pikey service families use it......I'm shocked!

Tin basher

Knackered Old ****
Staff member
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Lets distill this down to what it really is though, secondary duty w@nker sets up a foodbank for the local community to get promoted and a handful of pikey service families use it......I'm shocked!
Seems a plausible scenario.