• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Considering rejoining!

Dan_Brown

Sergeant
The commutation lump sum is like a loan. You undertook to repay the loan between your date of discharge and age 55. If your pension is in payment, the repayments come from your pension before tax. If your pension is not in payment, the repayments come from your pay after tax.

So, if you are repaying from your pension before tax, it is going to be an advantage to the tune of the tax you are not paying on the amount you are repaying.

Wut?!

busby1971

Super Moderator
Staff member
1000+ Posts
It costs more to pay it back if you rejoin, because it comes out of nett income, whereas if you don’t rejoin it comes out of gross income, probably wasn’t worth commutating in the first place.

Update..... commutation reduced my annual award (pension) by £2.5K. Having been back in service since late Mar 20 I now pay just under £200 /month from my pay (after tax) ‘for the privilege’ of being back in the RAF. Maybe I am mad but I am content with that as I have had the money which was used to reduce my mortgage. I’d be cheesed off it it had gone on a car or some other depreciating asset!

vim_fuego

Hung Like a Baboon.
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Update..... commutation reduced my annual award (pension) by £2.5K. Having been back in service since late Mar 20 I now pay just under £200 /month from my pay (after tax) ‘for the privilege’ of being back in the RAF. Maybe I am mad but I am content with that as I have had the money which was used to reduce my mortgage. I’d be cheesed off it it had gone on a car or some other depreciating asset!

is it everything you hoped it would be? Any reductions in the T’s & C’s that have fecked you off? How’s morale? Better or worse than when you left the first time around?

Well its early days but I have bagged a free 4 month holiday! I’m off to Bagram early next year.

I would say things seem more or less the same so far. I’m happy with my decision.