• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Chucking a few quid to the Juniors

Chucking a few quid to the Juniors

• Yes we do this and I think it's a good idea.

Votes: 9 39.1%
  • No we don't do this but I think its a good idea.

Votes: 9 39.1%
  • Yes we do this but I don't see why I should.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No we dont do this and I don't see why I should.

Votes: 5 21.7%

• Total voters

Sniffer

Super Moderator
As Xmas approaches I'm just wondering do any of the SNCOs chuck a few quid in a pot for the Juniors to add to their drinks kitty for the Section Xmas doo?

I personally have never seen it done at any of the Sections Ive worked in before but we've just has a new FS posted in who has raised the question. I think it is a good idea and have no qualms about chucking a tenner in.

What are fellow goaters thoughts?

Last edited:
Presents

Presents

As Xmas approaches I'm just wondering do any of the SNCOs chuck a few quid in a pot for the Juniors to add to their drinks kitty for the Section Xmas doo?

I personally have never seen it done at any of the Sections Ive worked in before but we've just has a new FS posted in who has raised the question. I think it is a good idea and have no qualms about chucking a tenner in.

In a Section I was in Cyprus, there was 3 of us SNCO's and we used to pitch in and pay for the food and a few quid behind the bar for our 'Secret Santa' type do. Basically started off all nice with presents for the peoples kids, desended into a drunken mess by the end.

Never got any money of the Officers in charge mind you.........

FOMz

Warrant Officer

I did when I was in..

saying that though... I always showed my face at it.. in the hope of getting a gratis beer ( some of my cash back ;) )

muttywhitedog

Retired Rock Star 5.5.14
1000+ Posts
If you are talking about donations from the Mess for a JR Xmas do, then the Sgts Mess at Colt did this every year. However they did it as a % of what the JRM Committees raised themselves - ie, if the JRs sat around and waited for donations they got a token £50, but if they got off their backsides and did fundraising events, the donation increased.

If you are talking about a section do, then I would ask why the seniors are not being invited.

rest have risen above me

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
Have always been mugged for extra cash at xmas for the juniors. I did have one guy try to avoid being top of the s**t list after enjoying himself too much at one do. His excuse was "You lot paid for the beer so its your fault". Didn't get very far needless to say. The ungrateful wretch....

Sniffer

Super Moderator
If you are talking about donations from the Mess for a JR Xmas do, then the Sgts Mess at Colt did this every year. However they did it as a % of what the JRM Committees raised themselves - ie, if the JRs sat around and waited for donations they got a token £50, but if they got off their backsides and did fundraising events, the donation increased.

If you are talking about a section do, then I would ask why the seniors are not being invited.

It is a Section doo and everyone is invited but its at a hotel and very expensive. I just think its a nice thing to do for the guys and girls who have worked hard all year round. Us SNCOs have chipped in and now we are just waiting for the Officers to dig deep (and there are more of them than us). I dont think a tenner is too much to ask to be honest.

muttywhitedog

Retired Rock Star 5.5.14
1000+ Posts
I see. Bear in mind that young SAC X or Cpl Y may well have more disposable income than Sgt Z who is married with a couple of kids and a mortgage. Particularly if they are childless, have partners who are either in the RAF, or with other well-paid jobs.

I always remember as a young SAC, married to a wife with a better paid job than me and with no kids at the time, being asked by a FS with 4 kids who lived in a MQ, if we could afford to go to a Christmas do. He obviously didn't see my wife's salary and "assumed" that as an SAC, I would be skint.

propersplitbrainme

Warrant Officer
Does anywhere still do the living-in juniors xmas dinner where the SNCOs serve the lads and lasses? It died a death here at Cosford some years back, I remember doing one then it seemed to stop.

In fact, I also remember that my son and I managed to do the sitcom comedy bag switch in the front hall before we left for work/school. It got to lunchtime and I opened 'my' bag only to find my lads PE kit inside; apparently the PE teacher laughed his ass off when my lad opened his bag and pulled out my big hat and shiny shoes :pDT_Xtremez_42:

Last edited:

needsabiggerfuse

Flight Sergeant
Have always been mugged for extra cash at xmas for the juniors. I did have one guy try to avoid being top of the s**t list after enjoying himself too much at one do. His excuse was "You lot paid for the beer so its your fault". Didn't get very far needless to say. The ungrateful wretch....

I presume he was following the 'Rules for Squadron Do's (singlies)'

1. Get drunk ... quickly.
2. Embarrass the scaleys.
3. Dance with their wives.

rest have risen above me

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
I presume he was following the 'Rules for Squadron Do's (singlies)'

1. Get drunk ... quickly.
2. Embarrass the scaleys.
3. Dance with their wives.

Just like the scaleys would

1.Get drunk quickly
2.Embarrass the wife
3.Thank the singlies for dancing with your wife whilst having an enjoyable pint at the bar chatting up the WAAFs.

Witty_Banter

Flight Sergeant
I would question why an expensive hotel was chosen for section doo in the first place? As a Jnr I would not expect the Snrs or the Officers to pay for my night out, even if it is Xmas. If it was put to a vote etc across the section, and the majority of the section agreed, then it's fund your own tab time.

On a more personal note, I would buy those that work directly beneath me / directly for me a drink, as a thankyou and in recognistion of hard work, and would hope for / expect the same from above. But I feel that chucking wedges of cash behind the bar for the Jnrs just encourages those with poor phys / drinking problems / low morals / below average common sense to get themselves on the sh!tlist.

Sniffer

Super Moderator
But I feel that chucking wedges of cash behind the bar for the Jnrs just encourages those with poor phys / drinking problems / low morals / below average common sense to get themselves on the sh!tlist.

Jeez Louise I bet you're a right bundle of laughs. Ive just been to a Mess doo that cost me a £10 and incorporated a 3 course meal and an open bar. Guess what.... I managed to stay off the ****list and I credit our Juniors to be able to do the same. Newflash no matter where you go at Xmas a tenner wont go very far behind the bar. At best you are looking a three drinks.

I just wish I'd not made the poll anonymous as it would have been interesting to see who the grumpy old buggers are who wouldnt spare a tenner at Xmas for their Juniors For me it is this attitute that is hammering the final nails in the Armed Forces.

Last edited:

Kryten

Warrant Officer
I would question why an expensive hotel was chosen for section doo in the first place? As a Jnr I would not expect the Snrs or the Officers to pay for my night out, even if it is Xmas. If it was put to a vote etc across the section, and the majority of the section agreed, then it's fund your own tab time.

On a more personal note, I would buy those that work directly beneath me / directly for me a drink, as a thankyou and in recognistion of hard work, and would hope for / expect the same from above. But I feel that chucking wedges of cash behind the bar for the Jnrs just encourages those with poor phys / drinking problems / low morals / below average common sense to get themselves on the sh!tlist.

Sigh...how times change...in the 90s poor phys/drinking problems/low morals/below average common sense were the hallmarks of a good airman on 8s and a Spec rec.....:pDT_Xtremez_31:

Gonterseed

Flight Sergeant
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Sigh...how times change...in the 90s poor phys/drinking problems/low morals/below average common sense were the hallmarks of a good airman on 8s and a Spec rec.....:pDT_Xtremez_31:

Yes, how times change. In the 70's and 80's they were the hallmarks of a top class SNCO earmarked for WO or commission from the ranks...

Kryten

Warrant Officer
Yes, how times change. In the 70's and 80's they were the hallmarks of a top class SNCO earmarked for WO or commission from the ranks...

Do you remember the days when you used to get briefed that getting a charge would actually do your career good?

Gonterseed

Flight Sergeant
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Do you remember the days when you used to get briefed that getting a charge would actually do your career good?

I don't recall that particular one but there were some other briefings that made the same kind of sense... But non of them during a section do... (just trying to keep on topic)

justintime129

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
What's this sh*t list. Surely what happens in Vegas stays in Vegas or are you now constantly having to look over your shoulder to see who's going to shaft you.

Witty_Banter

Flight Sergeant
Ok, probably badly worded. There's nothing wrong with you lot giving us money to get p!ssed, far from it. It's the method of just putting £££ behind the bar and when it's gone, it's gone... what tends to happen is that most people will get a drink or two, maybe three, but there will be that one guy (or lass) who might have something on their mind or a personal problem or an attitude problem, who ends up drinking a lot more free beer than everyone else, which can lead to real problems. More than happy to be labelled as a party pooper if it means I'm looking after my guys!

On the flip side, I've seen it work really well, when the organisers dish out beer chits which have to be exchanged for drinks at the bar - everyone gets the same amount.

And you can't really compare the debacles of the Jnr Ranks to the SNECs Mess - we all know that 'What happens in the Mess stays in the Mess'...