• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cheap Sunglasses Website?

Have seen some adverts for this site: http://www.sunglassray.com/

Has anyone used them? Is there a catch?

Looking at their site info they only registered on 17th April, registered under SHANGHAI YOVOLE NETWORKS...
Same guy also runs http://sunglass-us.com/ which has loads of bad reviews for selling fakes as well as, although having a registered address in the US actually has its servers based in China...

I'd stick with the old motto 'things too good to be true, usually are'....

Ex-Bay

SNAFU master
Subscriber
Have seen some adverts for this site: http://www.sunglassray.com/

Has anyone used them? Is there a catch?

Who cares? Does it really matter much, provided they do the job ?.
What's the difference, once you get them on your face ?
Or is the average wearer likely to be so vain that they MUST HAVE the genuine article ?

I buy my jeans, for example, at a local market at a good cheap price. Provided I remember to keep them in good order, I cannot imagine my friends berating me ("Ooh look, he's wearing fakes. . .").

Sunglasses - would you really want to wear a pair a shades that doesn't filter out the bad stuff?

Jock Daniels booze, OOOG boots and Leveye 501 jeans is 1 thing but I'd rather not wear a pair of Raybuns...

SirSaltyHelmet

Thoroughly Nice Chap
Or is the average wearer likely to be so vain that they MUST HAVE the genuine article ?

I buy my jeans, for example, at a local market at a good cheap price. Provided I remember to keep them in good order, I cannot imagine my friends berating me ("Ooh look, he's wearing fakes. . .").

Glasses are different, you need to protect the eyes. Good quality counts.

I would rather pay an extra £100 for a decent set of Oakleys

vim_fuego

Hung Like a Baboon.
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts

Are you mental? If you've ever bought a pair of 'Ockleys' from one of those vendors near the beach for a tenner in Tenerife et al and wondered why you feel queezy you wouldn't be saying 'who cares'

As has been said...don't mess around with sunglasses especially if you're deploying and going to be wearing them for a length of time...anything less tha £50 is probably sh1te.

mad_collie

The Other Mods Made Me Do It
Looking at their site info they only registered on 17th April, registered under SHANGHAI YOVOLE NETWORKS...
Same guy also runs http://sunglass-us.com/ which has loads of bad reviews for selling fakes as well as, although having a registered address in the US actually has its servers based in China...

I'd stick with the old motto 'things too good to be true, usually are'....

Cheers - I thought it was strange that the ads has just suddenly appeared.

See the other comments ref dodgy lenses - hence why I asked the question.

P

pie sandwich

Two places that I know are spot on are Fashion Eyewear and the other is eyewear outlet.

The first one also does cheap oakley spectacles, Ive bought two pairs from there and the cost of both was cheaper than my last pair of Oakleys.

They do also have two shops, I picked my last pair up from their shop.

The other eyewear outlet, I've not used but WGAF has bought shades from them in the past.

Tashy_Man

Tashied Goatee
Had my £200 Oakleys for a couple of years now....fantastic although last week noticed a slight blurring on the left hand lense....so just ordered replacement lenses at £95....more than most would pay but I think they are worth it.

Crack on.............:pDT_Xtremez_09:

Ex-Bay

SNAFU master
Subscriber
Sunglasses - would you really want to wear a pair a shades that doesn't filter out the bad stuff?

Glasses are different, you need to protect the eyes. Good quality counts.
I would rather pay an extra £100 for a decent set of Oakleys

Are you mental? If you've ever bought a pair of 'Ockleys' from one of those vendors near the beach for a tenner in Tenerife et al and wondered why you feel queezy you wouldn't be saying 'who cares'

As has been said...don't mess around with sunglasses especially if you're deploying and going to be wearing them for a length of time...anything less tha £50 is probably sh1te.

Cheers - I thought it was strange that the ads has just suddenly appeared.
See the other comments ref dodgy lenses - hence why I asked the question.

I think I understand it better now thanks guys.

As I wear prescription lenses most of the time, I had not thought about it, and I've been a fan of Polaroid for the last couple of decades. I find polarised lenses the only thing that helps me to see unless I'm wearing my prescription glasses.

But I'm still not convinced that £100 is the guarantee of the quality that the price would indicate. I understand that the "UV" rating is important in the Arctic or the Snows of the Alps, and suitable lenses for those 'extremes' may be important or even vital.
I get the impression that 'style' and 'label' is more important with all too often. It might be "Oakley" now, but at one time it was all "Polaroid".

Oberon305

Chairborne
Isn't there a government/military site for buying Oakleys at a decent price? Don't know it myself, but i've seen it advertised around.

MrMasher

Somewhere else now!
Subscriber
I buy Bloc's from Millets.
£30-40 means I don't care when they get scratched, dropped or sat on.

The vision is good too.

I'd love some Oakleys but I refuse to pay that much money for them!!

G

gemarriott

Drifting slightly off topic, which prescription sunglasses do you guys reccomend. For years when visiting the optician I haver relied on the free pair but the last couple of years the tints are much darker and even in bright sunshine everything is dim.

Last edited:

Sniffer

Super Moderator
Might be worth noting that if there is any injury to the eyes whilst on Ops that the wearing of the ESS glasses could have prevented, and it is discovered that you were wearing joakleys or nothing then Pax insurance will not pay out.

busby1971

Super Moderator
Staff member
1000+ Posts
Pop over to florida and enjoy the £ to $ prices for oakleys, did it last year and already saving for this years holiday, must remember to only take half a suitcase this time.

You only get one set of eyes, only ever bought ray bans or oakleys rarely paid UK prices.

mad_collie

The Other Mods Made Me Do It
Pop over to florida and enjoy the £ to $ prices for oakleys, did it last year and already saving for this years holiday, must remember to only take half a suitcase this time.

You only get one set of eyes, only ever bought ray bans or oakleys rarely paid UK prices.

Unfortunately the air fare may outweigh the savings for some decent sunglasses. :pDT_Xtremez_26: