• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Charlies new hat

Oldstacker

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
The best part of the Armed Forces for me was the bit on the palace lawn.

The GSM London must be the proudest man in the world right now.
I think it is one of the good things about the running of ceremonials in this country that so many of the key roles are carried out by 'ordinary' people in the forces, particularly the Guards, - whether it be the Guardsmen who were the late Queen's pall bearers or the GSM who had so much responsibility for the organisation & running of such events. These are not the Eton/Oxford educated 'elite' but anyone from anywhere who can make the grade through their training and dedicated service.

4mastacker

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts
I thought the light blue contingent were very smart, Mrs 4ma also thought so. At least they didn't leave their Colours on a train - unlike a certain Army regiment.

Rocket_Ronster

You ain`t seen me.
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Agreed well done to all the military personnel who took part. (y)
Is there anything more embarrassing than going there on a commuter train, though ???

What happened to calling 61016 and "seeing it, saying it, sorting it" when 300 blokes get on with SA-80s ?

Vushtrri

Sergeant
Not sure what point you are making there, anybody in this country can be Catholic (and some elements of the CofE are also very close to Roman Catholicism); the only people who cannot be Roman Catholic is the monarch or their spouse and that is because the monarch is, by definition, the head of the CofE. Roman Catholics, also by definition, submit to the authority of the Pope and it is arguable whether the Head of State of a protestant but religiously liberal & tolerant country should themselves submit to the authority of another religious organisation. We have had that debate in this country before, and several hundred people of both sides burned at the stake before the current status quo was arrived at.
..and there was also a time when narrow mindedness and KR’s decreed that Gays were not permitted to serve in the Forces and anyone found to be gay would suffer the consequences. Common sense prevailed and it was realised that being gay doesn’t affect your ability to service aircraft or scramble eggs….Times, attitudes and laws change..and rightly so.
We now have a British born Hindu Prime Minister who apparently read from the Bible during the coronation. Anything wrong with that? Not in my books.
Less than 5% of the population regularly attend Sunday worship..and that includes Catholics, Baptists etc as well as CofE so in reality Charles is head of a very small church that represents a minuscule part of the UK population. The notion that a monarch ( if we have to have one) must be a Protestant, is an antiquated tradition stemming from times when the country was a very different place….how many of those supporting the Bill of Rights and Act of Settlement are actually practicing church going Protestants? Very few I should imagine. It isn’t religion that’s the problem it’s the way people use it as a tool.
The Perth Agreement ended the age old ridiculous law that males take precedence over females when it came to succession and changed the law so that only the closest six people to the monarch required hus or her permission to marry…Are you seriously trying to tell me that even after being amended ! That is a law that makes sense in todays day and age?
Ah yes…at least it allowed in theory the spouse of a monarch to be a Catholic….though if your next in line to be monarch wanted to marry a Catholic you could still forbid them from marrying.
The ability to change is there.

Barch

Grim Reaper 2016
1000+ Posts
Listening to the radio today and the antimonarchists/republicans whining about being arrested for peaceful protest.

They should thank themselves lucky that the police intervened when they did because they would have been lucky to survive with all four limbs intact if they had spoiled the spectacle for the tens if not hundreds of thousands enjoying the day.

Vushtrri

Sergeant
Listening to the radio today and the antimonarchists/republicans whining about being arrested for peaceful protest.

They should thank themselves lucky that the police intervened when they did because they would have been lucky to survive with all four limbs intact if they had spoiled the spectacle for the tens if not hundreds of thousands enjoying the day.

..and if the Police hadn‘t intervened and the monarchists had waded in and ripped all four limbs off the anti monarchists resulting in their being arrested , would they have ended up whining?..Works both ways.. I don’t think for one minute that ALL the protestors were actually Republicans, as with any protest march there will be elements that are there purely to stir the sh#t and were not remotely interested in the Republican cause.

Last edited:

busby1971

Super Moderator
Staff member
1000+ Posts
To be honest the response is reasonably fair taking everything into account, policing protests does seem to have been too ‘soft’ and a rebalancing is probably due.

vim_fuego

Hung Like a Baboon.
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Largely I noticed a general air of indifference in those below 50 to the whole thing and a stronger show of support from the older types. There was virtually nothing going on in my home town aside from a cream tea in the local library and only a few houses in the biggest town in Cornwall with any bunting on. Whilst its maybe always been a bit of a rebellious area I do also think many people are just suffering from fatigue of the past few years and plain couldn't be arsed...

- Brexit and the resultant divisions in society
- Covid
-Bo-Jo
- Queen curling her toes
- War in Ukraine and press getting all nuclear over it
- Cost of living 'crises'
- Truss
What did I miss?

Then add in the behaviour of certain Royals to the mix and it further switches people off:
- The elephant in the coronation room - Charles dumping his first wife to shoe horn in one far less popular and once named 'the UK's laziest woman' by the press, then insisting she gets the full works as a queen which hasn't sat right with many.
- Andrew paying off a girl with millions of dollars of mummy's money to keep her mouth shut (which ironically probably wasn't happening the first time they met), then getting the royal sack to still keep turning up like a bad penny to be booed and harangued.
- Hazzer being a cheeky monkey and selling his ass to the highest bidding TV shows and publishers to slag off the institution.

Taking all the above into consideration I think many in the country would like to go back to a time when it we had John Major levels of boredom in No.10, there was an apparent steady state in the royal household and most major leaders weren't pointlessly invading other countries for no other reason than they are a barmpot.

Cat Techie

Sergeant
Licensed A/C Eng
Missed the Coronation service completely. Because I was sitting as a veteran in the Queen Victoria Memorial Grandstand from 0730 until kick out time. Got drawn out of the hat and was not going to turn down the opportunity to see everything at Buck House live. Mate of mine is Red 4 now and was also brilliant to have the opportunity to see his first public flypast. Brilliant memories and the RAF contingent nailed it.

Oldstacker

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
Missed the Coronation service completely. Because I was sitting as a veteran in the Queen Victoria Memorial Grandstand from 0730 until kick out time. Got drawn out of the hat and was not going to turn down the opportunity to see everything at Buck House live. Mate of mine is Red 4 now and was also brilliant to have the opportunity to see his first public flypast. Brilliant memories and the RAF contingent nailed it.
I applied through the CS ballot but wasn't lucky. I have previously been lucky for both a BP garden party (and was introduced to HM herself, top conversation) and for the Colonel's review rehearsal for trooping the colour so mustn't grumble.

bigjd

LAC
I have always been a royalist so was gutted not to be there as I was on a chit for a minor injury. Still glad to have worked the funeral though. Each to their own of course!

bigjd

LAC
Oh definitely an 8, always been a royalist. Missed out on being involved due to a busted foot, was however privileged to be involved with the queen's funeral, even though being stood still for that long was horrendous!

Warwick Hunt

Persona Non-Grata
1000+ Posts
Oh definitely an 8, always been a royalist. Missed out on being involved due to a busted foot, was however privileged to be involved with the queen's funeral, even though being stood still for that long was horrendous!
Yes, I know what you mean - I was one of the Whitehall route liners at the 2011 Royal Wedding. A truly great occasion and very proud to have been a part of it all. Worth all of the hours pounding the parade square at Halton all hours of the day and night as well as the 0400 practice on Whitehall.

bigjd

LAC
Yes, I know what you mean - I was one of the Whitehall route liners at the 2011 Royal Wedding. A truly great occasion and very proud to have been a part of it all. Worth all of the hours pounding the parade square at Halton all hours of the day and night as well as the 0400 practice on Whitehall.
Yeah the night rehearsal was exhausting. Plus leaving early hours of the morning for the event itself. I remember holding the present arms position for about 15 minutes as the procession passed. Longest 15 minutes of my life! 🤣