• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Catterick Lamp Swinging

P

phoenix

Come on you water rats out there how many remember the old days at Catterick, the days when it was called the Fire Fighting and Special Safety Squadron (FF&SSS) before the great name change, whence it became Fire and Rescue Training Squadron (FRTS) much to the delight of Dick Hunter the resident AFDFS/DFS Fire Officer who answered the phone to one and all as "Hunter - Farts"

Last edited:
P

phoenix

As I've said on another thread, I was the Sqn Shiney on FARTS Nov 86 - May 88.

I too had to carry out the roll of Sqn shiney for 2 tours at the school, before it was decided that maybe a proper pen pusher should have the job and leave us to get on with training new water babies

C

chas

Catterick was a siht hole.........cold `n wet November`79 and all that frikin running! we must have done 10 miles a day before breakfast (9 weeks, wow!) Wish i was still that fit! The best firemen all came from Catterick, as it was more disciplined because of the Regimental Fireman/Gunner background. but alas, most have gone now? I`m not saying Manston is any worse, but I dont see RAF Fire as a career anymore, just a job. There was, and still are some pratts in the service that seem to want to make your life miserable,(without realising it) and thats not just a personal issue, these people are able to be ****ts no matter what station they serve at. Promotion is oh so slow, although it can be done in 10 Years to the top?( AP well done matey) then there are the wise ones who saw the light in the begining and left early, now station officers (BA? Worm!! lol) and also (I chuckle) AP was a re-course for some reason, but hey who cares with what he has achieved, and BA was the Top Firefighter, and has reached the top outside too. As for the pratts, well no names, but you`ll always be a pratt. lol

I have fond memories of Catterick during the hot summer of 88. In the evenings going for a couple in the 'twig' & ending up getting bladdered, then suffering the next day getting beasted on the drill ground or trying to keep awake in the classroom. Oh happy days...

I trained at catterick in 1984 & remember torching a vulcan they flew in. Obviously they took all the people & valuable stuff off first

We werent very environment friendly in those days. I remember torching a vulcan too, only they had used avpin on it as well as the normal fuel, could we hell put it out; it was mayhem, the instructors were flapping like fook. All that BCF we used to squirt about too, no wonder the planet is in the state it's in.

br9mp81

Corporal
Hi Folks,
I was just wondering if anybody has any pictures of the finest in action at RAF Catterick?

Cheers Smokinbarrels

there is a web site called six wheel appeal(so i was told i'm not that sad i have to say,honest!) full of as many pictues of mk 6,7,8,9 as you could point a paint brush at.
I must say 27 years on only the good bits of catterick remain in my fading memory,i can only say that like others i find it hard to believe i ran all those miles("today we are going to see the racecourse mark time at the double") hobbled around the assault course and carried that stretcher all that wayand just what was the point of the wall and ditch on the fmns fitness test.things have moved on in 20 years,however i like some others feel that from an raf point it would be better for raf fftrs to have a course on their own run by sncos and jncos with out being contamineated by dfrs.
could you image th H&S out cry at the idea of smoke driving burning tyres and fighting real burning A/C fires without BA in this day,no wonder my doc keeps on about chest X rays.
i was very lucky my war was the cold war,i can only say well done to lads and (these days)lasses who have got the ****ty end of the stick on all these ops tours.

stingray888

Sergeant
I did Basic, FT1, Tac course and another one I forget at Catterick. I enjoyed it on the whole, biggest fires I ever saw in my life were there before all this health and safety nonesense! We torched a Victor once, they burn well.
Catterick village was reasonable pub wise, the last time I was there the roicks were barred for destroying one of them.
The instructors there varied from brilliant to "only doing this to stay off the crash line"ie useless.
I did an FP course at Manston later on but it didn't compare with Catterick.
Maybe I,m forgetting the bad bits! I have a couple of photos from the Ft course which I,ll post later on.

Hi Stingray888,
Many thanks for the reply, i'm sorry to say i'm an ex DFS Blackcoat! I was in from the early 90's until the late 90's and Manston trained! I was detached to most of the RAF fire sections during the 90's and i must say they are a far more professional fire service. I'm looking forward to your Catterick pictures, i always like to see the finest in action!

SMOKINBARRELS.:pDT_Xtremez_30:

E Flammis

LAC
Catterick Lamp Swinging

Done my basic training at Catterick and returned as an instructor early eighties. The promise of a RAFG posting being the bait. Great tour, worked on all courses but ended up on FT1’s, SST but mucked in to help other courses when needed. The wee Irishman was a good supervisor, trade standards had some fair & helpful examiners. As said, Health & Safety was honoured more in the breech but we never lost a single student! Some of the things that happened on fireground do not bear thinking about in light of the present H&S regs. However, training was more ‘rounded’ than the modern exam orientated system & we were left to our own interpretation of the syllabus.

Memories of Village: Jumping the burn (stream) after a night on the pop in the village was always a challenge. The annual fair where we looked the part in the tug-of-war but were pulled all over the place by the locals. The wheel barrow race around the village having a drink in each pub. Leaving whatever pub when the Rocks started to outnumber the firemen. Sanctuary of the CIU club to hide from the trainees for a quiet drink.

FF&SSS: The Creeping Black Death sleeping in his chair in his office on ’airfield watch’. Nimrod sniffing my crutch when being given a ’one-to-one’ by the Rgt Sqn Cdr. Again, standing in front of the Rgt Flt Cdr for ’robustly helping’ a basic over the boards during the lunchtime 5-a-side game. Old Bram the chiefy belching smoke from his pipe in his office - BA required. Vehicles; didn’t start, couldn’t produce, no ‘S’ kit in the lockers. Crash kit smelled of AVTUR, foam compound, vehicle tyre smoke, always wet. Sqn Photo; complained to the Sqn Cdr that I did not have a seat, he told me to come to the front & sit beside Nimrod. Rubber D1ck Club; pranks between instructors which could get out of hand - still not got my keys back!

Courses: LRC; partly drowned in the Swale when the stretcher I was strapped in sank mid-stream. Deployment Course; Mk7 turned over on it’s side when deploying on a/c pan - first thing I said was, ’It’s not my course’! LRC; buried under bricks, rescue set, then someone lit a GFI on top on my pile, started shouting but was told, ‘No use shouting, we haven’t called them in yet’! Officers Course; mistimed my escape and was tossed into the EWS tank, wet area, by end of course FFC’s. Demo Fires; On the ‘medal wagon’ came out with no R/H side of crash kit due to direct contact with flames (regular occurrence). FT1’s; a laugh a minute!

Perhaps my one of my favourite memories was a rollicking by a trucker parked in the lay-by on the A1. It was LWTP drills down the wet area, as usual the basics pushed the pumps down to the EWS tank. I ran down with the course but with one man short. I got a phone call to say the basic was in the hanger & they would drive him down. To cut a long story short he was to report sick but hid until we left. I went back up & because I had already ran down I got on the section bike and made him run. As we reached the lay-by a big trucker got out his truck came to the fence and shouted, ’ Cpl Marsh, you barsteward get off your fcuking bike and run with the man, you lazy git‘! Still can’t remember the name of that old TV sitcom about the mob. Old dreams, old aspirations - more beautiful for being old and gone.

firechief

LAC
Hi all, just registered so I thought I'd make a contribution! I did my basic Firefighter course at Catterick 74/75, along with the old Tac-Ops, FT1, Light Rescue and BAI. It always seemed to be winter when I went and it was iether raining or snowing. Still, made a lot of good friends there and bolstered the local economy (Pubs and Chippy!)

Been around the block a few times and I'm still serving; probably one of the few remaining FF&SSS recruits still in. I still think that Catterick turned out better all round new Firefighters; the training fires were something to behold and you always had a great sense of satisfaction when it was finally extinguished. Unlike today where you basically "Turn off the tap" when you think the crew has done enough.

I look forward to reading through the other posts and hopefully making the odd comment or 2.

..................and the sit com was called "Get some in". I know this as a bus load of us went from Brize Norton to see an episode being made at the TV Studios in the 70's! Happy days!

Welcome Chiefy. Nice to have you aboard, I think there are only a handful of F'ftrs on e-goat. Well theres not that many F'ftrs left in the RAF, especially from your era!

Look forward to a few tales from you then!...

firechief

LAC
Welcome Chiefy. Nice to have you aboard, I think there are only a handful of F'ftrs on e-goat. Well theres not that many F'ftrs left in the RAF, especially from your era!

Look forward to a few tales from you then!...

Thanks for the welcome. Sadly, you're correct; our numbers have dwindled over the years along with a good many RAF bases. But on the positive side, I've seen a huge improvement in the professionalism and skill sets of our people.

This has also been recognised at the highest levels. Our guys and girls in Afghanistan provide an excellent service to our front line troops caught in vehicle blasts etc and can deploy to hostile areas in order to provide that support and expertise. Following one particularly busy 48 hour period, the Fire Section as a whole was recently awarded an AOC's Commendation for their professionalism and tenacity in providing assistance to injured troops and ensuring that flying Ops were not compromised.

See, we don't just drink tea and play volleyball! ha ha

br9mp81

Corporal
Thanks for the welcome. Sadly, you're correct; our numbers have dwindled over the years along with a good many RAF bases. But on the positive side, I've seen a huge improvement in the professionalism and skill sets of our people.

This has also been recognised at the highest levels. Our guys and girls in Afghanistan provide an excellent service to our front line troops caught in vehicle blasts etc and can deploy to hostile areas in order to provide that support and expertise. Following one particularly busy 48 hour period, the Fire Section as a whole was recently awarded an AOC's Commendation for their professionalism and tenacity in providing assistance to injured troops and ensuring that flying Ops were not compromised.

See, we don't just drink tea and play volleyball! ha ha

Firechief,
not one of those that had the joy of chasing F4s up and down the runways and ploughed fields of conningsby by chance?