• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Carol Thatcher - PC madness strikes again?

4mastacker

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts
Carol Thatcher may not be everybody's cup-of-tea but hasn't the BBC gone OTT following her alleged remark about a certain tennis player looking like a golliwog? We really are in an Orwellian society if alleged remarks made in private result in someone losing their job. As if Chiles and Brand are paragons of virtue!

230Tiger

Sergeant
My understanding of it was that she didn't actually call him a golliwog but rather commented that he looked a bit like the golliwog that used to be on the jam jars when she was growing up.
Is it really racist to say that someone looks a bit like a cartoon character?

Rocket_Ronster

You ain`t seen me.
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
It all depends on which paper you read. One states that she said the tennis player reminded her of the golliwog from when she was growing up (Metro); another states she said the player looked like a golliwog (Express); and another states that he was a golliwog (Sun).

While the first comment appears entirely innocent, the third comment is blatantly racist. So you pays your money and takes your choice.

What this story does prove is that the media can`t/won`t just report what has happened, but insist on putting their slant on it....presumably for the hard of thinking.

4mastacker

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts
Looks like I was wrong when I said in my OP that her remarks were made in private. According to the weasly-worded response I had from the BBC Complaints Department, "Carol Thatcher's remarks were not made in private but in a BBC Green Room....". So, by default, does that make a Green Room a "Public Place" and does the BBC apply the law in respect of homosexual acts, drug-taking and any other activity that takes place therein?. I wouldn't put money on it! And seeing it's not a private area does that mean anyone one can walk in off the street and rub shoulders with the 'celebrities'?... hmm, thought not!