• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Car Insurance

Barch

Grim Reaper 2016
1000+ Posts
Car insurance renewal is due at the end of April.

Hastings Direct ...

"Your price has increased by £1047.54 from last year."

Just got new insurance using Compare The Market for £300 less than last year.

busby1971

Super Moderator
Staff member
1000+ Posts
Went the other way, Direct line tried a 30% increase, on top of a 30% attempt last year, backed down to 15%, and that was with an extra years of no claims.

Hastings direct ended up being cheaper than last years policy, with same excesses and recovery included.

Fu Fu Valve

Sergeant
I've been with Hastings for years - the quote goes up one call and it's back down.
Last year around this time i traded in the old Passat & picked up a much newer Merc C-Class after some initial buffoonery from Hastings at renewal time where my quote went up £450 - for a Passat I hadn't owned for months, the real quote for the Merc was lower than for the VW the previous year.
I get the feeling this year could be interesting.

I've read various things on why the costs are going up from all the Range Rovers in London & the South East being nicked to the repair costs of EVs, either way some of the renewal quotes I've heard have been crazy.
I'm almost convinced they're ex fairy's using the chicken bones and dice!

Cornish_Pikey

Sergeant
My 15 year old Avensis is somehow more expensive to insure than my 6 year old Audi.

Makes no sense to me. Shopped around and all the quotes were more expensive than the renewal being offered.

busby1971

Super Moderator
Staff member
1000+ Posts
Martin Lewis recommends getting a quote 26 days (or thereabouts) before renewal for the best price, I did this, but then forgot about it for a few days (a couple of weeks) and the lowest quote had jumped, but these were from companies I hadn’t heard of so wouldn’t have used anyway.

Rigga

Licensed Aircraft Engineer
1000+ Posts
Licensed A/C Eng
The Wife’s 5 year old Polo insurance went up by £38 to just over £300…

gray

Sergeant
2 car policy with Admiral went up by about £50 in Feb - just waiting to see what the daughters is next month.... 🤞