• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Can anyone help...? Little A do-dah"s.....

418/1000

LAC
Hey there,
A dining out night looms and the nice tailor chap at Halton informs me that he can't get hold of the little A badges that go on my nice new No1 jacket.....
Does anyone have any going begging so I can put them on myself....

Happy to remunerate with either coin of the realm or beer.....

Having moved heaven and earth to score a blessed uniform the last thing I need is some sploob picking me up for being improperly dressed.....

Hope you guys can help a chap out, all the best.

418/1000

Pikeman

Cider one of the five
1000+ Posts
I gotta be honest, what little A are you refering to? and why did you need to score a number one uniform? they tend to come issued.

Downsizer

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
I gotta be honest, what little A are you refering to? and why did you need to score a number one uniform? they tend to come issued.
Check out the forum it's posted in....

418/1000

LAC
Hi guys, thanks for the replies....
It's been a bit of a race against time to get hold of a No1 in time for the Dining Out night and some hurdles have needed to be jumped....
I now have a nice, tailored uniform but the nice Tailor chap informs me that he doesn't hold the small 'A' patches that reside just under the eagles. They are small blue patches that denote the Auxiliary status of the wearer. It's no biggie in the grand scheme of things but I wondered if anyone on here either had some they could donate or at least a lead as to where to get some...

All the best, 418/1000

YO8102

LAC
The station tailor at Waddington supplied mine. More recently I've been told, however, that they're being phased-out. When I eventually get around to handing my jacket in for tailoring for the QDJM, I'm half expecting it to come back without them.

The station tailor at Waddington supplied mine. More recently I've been told, however, that they're being phased-out. When I eventually get around to handing my jacket in for tailoring for the QDJM, I'm half expecting it to come back without them.

Nooooooooooooooooooooooo! :raf:

I'm not usually one for sentimentality etc: but why? Why are they so keen for us all to be "RAF Reserves" and get rid of our 'little A do-dahs'?

Some of us are quite proud of the whole 'Auxiliary' bit and everything that goes with it.

YO8102

LAC
Being a VR Sqn, we're not so keen on the Auxiliary branding.

For me, 'Auxiliary' has implications beyond 'Reserve'. For example, auxiliary nurses weren't really nurses at all and the RFA are civil servants at sea rather than naval types. The final straw for me was watching the film Battle of Britain, in which plenty of 'proper' officers are portrayed wearing VR collar dogs: but the only A's shown are on the WAAFs.

Being a VR Sqn, we're not so keen on the Auxiliary branding.

For me, 'Auxiliary' has implications beyond 'Reserve'. For example, auxiliary nurses weren't really nurses at all and the RFA are civil servants at sea rather than naval types. The final straw for me was watching the film Battle of Britain, in which plenty of 'proper' officers are portrayed wearing VR collar dogs: but the only A's shown are on the WAAFs.

That's 'cause by the time of the height of the BoB all the heroic, do-dah wearing pre-war auggie aircrew types had died heroically and been replaced by the (greater numbers of) VRs. I believe that if you joined up as aircrew during the war then you actually joined the RAFVR rather than the regular RAF too, which is why they ended up baning the wearing of VR collar dogs (in 1941?).

In fact, I may have answered my own question. Not long ago, didn't the Navy ditch the 'R's from RNR uniforms because they were embarassed by the number of reservists cutting about the place doing 'proper navy' jobs? History repeating?

busby1971

Super Moderator
Staff member
1000+ Posts
For airmen/women they are no longer required, IIRC this came in when I worked on a Auggie Sqn, mid 00's, I think Orrifercers still needed them, but this is only based on the fact that a certain Sqn Ldr was asked, not in a curious way more in a SWO to airman with sideburns way, where his were during a do.

Entropy

Sergeant
For airmen/women they are no longer required, IIRC this came in when I worked on a Auggie Sqn, mid 00's, I think Orrifercers still needed them, but this is only based on the fact that a certain Sqn Ldr was asked, not in a curious way more in a SWO to airman with sideburns way, where his were during a do.

I just received my first No1's last month and had to wait while they went to the station tailors to have the A's added. To be honest I would feel a little miffed if they were removed as it tells everyone that we give up our free time to serve.

YO8102

LAC
I just received my first No1's last month and had to wait while they went to the station tailors to have the A's added. To be honest I would feel a little miffed if they were removed as it tells everyone that we give up our free time to serve.
Good point. I don't want anyone thinking I want to walt around masquerading as a regular airman: I'd just rather have metal VR badges on my lapels instead of cloth A's over my rank (I don't like the implication that being an auggie has anything to do with my rank).

I think we should all wear hats with a mahoosive neon sign on top that lights up and flashes: I'M BETTER THAN YOU!

:pDT_Xtremez_42: