• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Bruggen Mally

wobbly

E-goat Head *****
Administrator
WTF?

Bistro?

2393010974_92294c3112.jpg

There seems to be a weed problem around the gaf too :)

Shugster

Warrant Officer
This may seem like a daft question, but what is the deal at Brüggen now?

I know that there are no more sqns there, but is it moth-balled? Fully civvy?

Shugster

Warrant Officer
Is the chippy still there? That was a top notch chippy, too good in fact... swelled shugsters waistline a fair bit!
:pDT_Xtremez_30:

SgtScribbly

Corporal
is my memory playing tricks with me?

the building in the picture is the mally, but there was also the malcolm club round the corner, and that was where the chippy was?

J

JetLaverick

Thought it was the Naafi round the corner where the chippy was

spike7451

Flight Sergeant
Mally was opposite the SSVC across from the JR Mess,The Chippy (called the Chicken Inn) ran by some Boxheads was ran from a window at the side of the JR Mess facing the main door to the NAAFI bop,with the vending machines round the side.
The NAAFI forced the Chicken Inn to close.

D

dodgysootie

is my memory playing tricks with me?

the building in the picture is the mally, but there was also the malcolm club round the corner, and that was where the chippy was?

FFS, Mally=short for Malcolm club, "chippy"=Chicken inn.
God i'm bored....

DS

D

DE Scumbag

FFS, Mally=short for Malcolm club, "chippy"=Chicken inn.
God i'm bored....

DS

But when the Chicken Inn closed in about '94, the Naafi opened a chipshop doing propoer fish and chips. Hence "Chippy".

Shugster

Warrant Officer
But when the Chicken Inn closed in about '94, the Naafi opened a chipshop doing propoer fish and chips. Hence "Chippy".

And it was to die for! The only thing NAAFI did that wasn't a complete rip off or completely sh1te!

Last edited:

spike7451

Flight Sergeant
And it was to die for! The only thing NAAFI did that was a complete rip off or completely sh1te!

OOhhh...Bratty mit pommes after a few in the pigs bar!
Agreed the NAZZI,sorry NAAFI screwed over a lotta places when they took over.

D

DeeCee

I was there when the "Chippy" started in the early 70's. Not from a window at the side of the JR Mess but at the rear of the JR Mess, you could go in and sit to eat. Yes it was opposite the NAFFI. Talking of the NAFFI, went back 20 years later and the Spit & Sawdust bar was still the same, had not seen a lick of paint in years, only the faces younger!!!! Started the Kart Club there, Anyone remember??

Last edited:
F

Flt Lt Badminton-Squash

Getting off the ‘Chicken-In’ Vs ‘Chippy’ debate, which incidentally both were fantastic but the chicken curry on top of your chips from the Chicken-in was superb for the walk back to the block (before Mrs BS got out there).
There were quiet a few good memories about the Mally at Bruggen, Saturday and Sunday mornings in there for a full English breakfast and meet up with everyone to talk about the night before...(who did who, ha ha!)! It was always full for breakie the next day…oh the good ol’ days…. Made even better by Mrs BS being a cook and even behind the bar on the odd occasion in there, ha ha!

What about the Mally Van, those sausage butties…

Anyway just a thought…

B

bigfella

When I was a small Scaley Brat I used to put balloons over the taps switch em on and run oot.....

So If you remember p1ss wet through floors in the Mally 1974 - 1976 ish.... twas me!!:pDT_Xtremez_31:

Flybynight

Flight Sergeant
Aha! The Malcolm Club. So that's the name of the place I used to eat hot dogs and drink Tuborg in during the early 60s, I'd been racking my poor brainz. I lost DM5 in there backing Henry Cooper to beat Cassius Clay. Definitely a cut above the NAAFI and the Airmen's Mess (egg'n'chips swimming with grease, soggy white bread with margarine and stewed tea for night flying supper, ugh!). There was a proposal to convert the (unused except for exams) back half of the Airmen's Mess into a bowling alley. Did it happen? The van was run by the NAAFI in those days, driven by a German. Very civilised way of breakfasting. Over the road opposite the main gate and picqet post was a German cafe and bar into which Germans rarely went (was the owner called Heinz?), generally next port of call after a film at the Astra cinema. House specialities: ham and eggs on rye bread, oxtail soup with rye bread (which we called "Ox und Zwanzig"). And there were always the Frites & Mayonnaise to be had from vans in the main sqare at Roermond late nite in the days when BAOR had to be in by midnight because they used to get into fights, poor dears, but RAFG didn't.:pDT_Xtremez_30:.

The last time I checked the former RAF Bruggen was completely infested by pongos of the RSigs variety.

techie_tubby

Warrant Officer
Now called Javelin Barracks and is home to 1st Signal Brigade ARRC. Some info here:http://forcesjavelin.2day.ws/?localBoard=1282
Info is a bit out of date. 1 Brigade moved to Imjin Barracks ( formally Innsworth) in 2010 along with the rest of ARRC. 7 Sigs and 16 Sigs along with 921 EOT Tp now habit Elmpt but 7 Sigs are due to be disbanded and have already lost 2 Sqns with the rest due to be disbanded when they return from Herrick. Elmpt is due to be handed over to the Germans in mid-late 2013 with what ever pers are left either going to be based at Rheindahlen until shipped home or sent to Herford to be posted back to the UK. However like all plans the MOD make that will probably change 20 times between now and February before going back to the original plan just named differently.