• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

BRTC

bkray

LAC
Got my dates for BRTC at Halton, its 26 Oct to 10 Nov 2012. (off the top of my head, around them days) anyone else going?

Also, what does the BRTC entail? other than what they say.

Barch

Grim Reaper 2016
1000+ Posts
Got my dates for BRTC at Halton, its 26 Oct to 10 Nov 2012. (off the top of my head, around them days) anyone else going?

Also, what does the BRTC entail? other than what they say.
What have they told you about it?

bkray

LAC
not alot! just GSK, Drill and Basic weapon training (what the letter says). Havnt attended any training weekends yet (i have 3 before i go to Halton) but i would like to get the Gen before.

BRTC has changed recently (and may have changed again even more recently or be about to change again):

Whoever told you there would be drill and GSK is mistaken. You'll have to be competant at drill and able to pass the GSK exam before you go. You WILL NOT be instructed in these at RAF Halton.

It's fifteen days into which they cram the IFPT which regulars get three weeks on. This means long days (expect to see the regular recruits arrive at the hanger in the morning and leave in the evening while you work), and very little time in which to learn things before you get tested on them. CBRN and the rifle are emotional.

There is no mandated PT during the course, but you will be expected to do something in your own time. Block inspections are pretty regular. The better your standards (as a course) the less often you get inspected.

At the end there's a 'final exercise', which seemed to consist of sitting up late with a radio, sleeping in a tent for five minutes and then wandering around the playing fields for a bit in the cold before blatting off a load of blank.

Some people find it easy because they pick up the skills very quickly. The best advice I was given during the course was from a couple of old ex-regulars who said it's best not to be a 'deep thinker'.

Entropy

Sergeant
I did Halton 2 years ago and its basically what TL said. There was a fitness test on Day 1 but that was all the phys in the programme, don't worry everyone was kn4ckered at the end of everyday so you still get a work out. You can arrange for access to the Maitland Gym just speak to the instructors and they will sort out an entry card.

There's lots of marching everywhere especially when the regular recruits are in during the week but everything is a little more relaxed on weekends as they appreciate that you are adults.

Our course was very hot on the state of our rooms so didn't get an inspection once but the rooms were definitely 'looked at' while we were down at the hangar on day 2. If you maintain a high standard of kit prep etc and are on time they will leave you alone and just get on with teaching the syllabus.

All the classroom courses are a little rushed as you have to cram a months worth of tuition into 2 weeks. They mainly concentrated on the practical side of tings so most of the time was spent on CBRN, Weapons handling and First Aid.

To repeat TL, just go with the flow and try not to think too much. You will have a really good laugh despite those moments when you question why you're there. I can only think of about an hour in total when I didn't like the course, the rest of the time I seem to remember crying with laughter.

bkray

LAC
Your making me all excited now! The fitness test on day 1 is just the bleep test, press ups and sit ups right? Cause if thats it, i dont have too worry. :p

Your making me all excited now! The fitness test on day 1 is just the bleep test, press ups and sit ups right? Cause if thats it, i dont have too worry. :p

No longer done. Used to be included because there was no PJFT for auggies (it was only an 'assessment'). Now you just take along something which says: "This man/woman/child/creature has passed the RAFFT. Signed: The Boss"