• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

BMW Rookie to ride course

Witty_Banter

Flight Sergeant
So what it's basically saying is that if you buy a brand new bike, they'll teach you how to ride it and give you £1k worth of riding kit.

Probably not a bad deal if you're in the market for a brand new bike, but it's not a route I would go down personally - I'd much rather have an older, cheaper bike for my first few years, just in case I had a wobble / dropped it etc.

Kryten

Warrant Officer
I'd echo WB post - I bought a brand new CB600 as soon as I passed my test - and it had more teething troubles than you could shake a stick at. Plus the fact (as WB also says) there is every chance you may ground it as you get to grips with the bike - at least if its 2nd hand you wont mind the odd dent in it....

Witty_Banter

Flight Sergeant
there is every chance you may ground it as you get to grips with the bike - at least if its 2nd hand you wont mind the odd dent in it....

..like forgetting to put your feet down after an emergency stop...

That cost me a new clutch lever, mirror, fairing repair and a paint job on my old ZXR400...

Kryten

Warrant Officer
..like forgetting to put your feet down after an emergency stop...

That cost me a new clutch lever, mirror, fairing repair and a paint job on my old ZXR400...

Ouch!

I bought an old YBR125 when I was learning. Took it out on a day not unlike yesterday, except that the roads were frozen. Went round a bend and ended up on the road with the bike on top of me - one bent clutch lever, borken mirror, cracked fairing and dented exhaust....

Witty_Banter

Flight Sergeant
Ouch!

I bought an old YBR125 when I was learning. Took it out on a day not unlike yesterday, except that the roads were frozen. Went round a bend and ended up on the road with the bike on top of me - one bent clutch lever, borken mirror, cracked fairing and dented exhaust....

Nice.. the ZXR400 was my first 'big bike' after passing the full test. I've had numerous 'miscalculations' on my very first bike (a bright yellow TS 50 X that I ran on an L plate for about 12 months when I was 16) - the most painful of which was coming off on a slow left hander, thanks to an almost square rear tyre (I'd had the bike less than a week). Manage to land awkwardly enough that the gear shifter punched a hole in my leg, just above my ankle. Suffice to say I've been very keen on good motorcycle maintenence ever since!

Kryten

Warrant Officer
Nice.. the ZXR400 was my first 'big bike' after passing the full test. I've had numerous 'miscalculations' on my very first bike (a bright yellow TS 50 X that I ran on an L plate for about 12 months when I was 16) - the most painful of which was coming off on a slow left hander, thanks to an almost square rear tyre (I'd had the bike less than a week). Manage to land awkwardly enough that the gear shifter punched a hole in my leg, just above my ankle. Suffice to say I've been very keen on good motorcycle maintenence ever since!

Ouch!

Since the YBR I have had

• a CB600 (brand new, battery went flat for no good reason and failed to start on numerous mornings when it was warm and dry)
  • a 2nd hand CB1300FSA (clutch lever started sticking which made for some very interesting pulling away manoeuvres, but aside from that best bike I have ever owned in terms of serviceability)
  • a 2nd hand ZZR1400 - front brake pads burnt through after about 6 months worth of riding - not picked up by garage during servicing. Ignition coil went, chain had to be replaced, and acquired a nice thick screw in the back tyre)
  • a 2nd hand GSX1300R - so far the gear positioner switch has had to be replaced, the Oxford heated grips have ad to be replaced, acquired a screw/bolt in the front tyre which ruined a weekend ride out, and the Scot Oiler that came fitted leaks so that its spraying lubricant into the bike causing it to drip out after a ride out.

Oh, and I passed my test in 2012....

It's expensive, biking.....but offset against the thrill of riding....it's worth every penny!

Witty_Banter

Flight Sergeant
Ouch!

It's expensive, biking.....but offset against the thrill of riding....it's worth every penny!

Yeah, I went a few years between my first bike at 16 and actually doing my test - I did my driving test at 17, and found that cars were far more practical for Welsh weather... didn't get round to doing my full bike test until about 2003.

I sold the ZXR when I went to Cyprus on a 3 year tour, didn't get another bike until about 5 years later (tbh, the bike scared me anyway, found myself doing 130mph on a 400cc pocket rocket waaaay too often). I picked up an '09 plate Midnight Star in 2011, and I've had it ever since. Even took it back to Cyprus with me for a second tour - cruiser + Troodos mountains + Cyprus weather = very happy camper!