• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Bloody Sunday Charges

techie_tubby

Warrant Officer
Bloody Sunday: Soldier F faces murder charges http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-47540271

Well looks like 1 Paratrooper will be brought up on charges with a potential max sentence of life in prison. What are the feelings of the Goaters on this matter?

IMHO if a crime has been committed then yes the person should be tried as per laws of the land but is this a case of the Government saving face with the public? Will this be trial by media? I also fully believe that the IRA bombers shouldn’t be protected by the 2 year max sentence rule if this para is convicted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

justintime129

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
What I don't understand is that the DPS found sufficient evidence to charge one soldier, but according to the saville report

Former soldiers were granted anonymity and assured that their evidence to the Saville Inquiry wouldn't be used in any subsequent criminal proceedings.

So were as the evidence come from to prosecute just one soldier.

I'm a citizen not a subject

Witty_Banter

Flight Sergeant
It'll end in outrage no matter what happens. If he's found guilty, there'll be outrage from the UK and no doubt there'll be a knock-on negative impact to serving soldiers - I'm thinking along the lines of serving members getting concerned that they can be convicted at some point in the distant future for 'doing their job'.

If he's not found guilty, no doubt there'll be outrage on the Irish side, with potential for stirring up the IRA-pot again.

Can't win either way.

justintime129

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
It'll end in outrage no matter what happens. If he's found guilty, there'll be outrage from the UK and no doubt there'll be a knock-on negative impact to serving soldiers - I'm thinking along the lines of serving members getting concerned that they can be convicted at some point in the distant future for 'doing their job'.

If he's not found guilty, no doubt there'll be outrage on the Irish side, with potential for stirring up the IRA-pot again.

Can't win either way.
I agree but the defence secretary as come up with the following

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&sou...aw2WvVn3w98aVxNtM9gOob7-&ust=1552652552470037

So they are looking to reform the law on legacy issues and will pay all costs

Rocket_Ronster

You ain`t seen me.
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Completely self inflicted wound.
"You have the right to remain silent..."
Should have said nowt and make them prove things from 45yrs ago, they might not even be able to prove he was there.
Stupid beyond belief to believe the side that let all the PIRA murderers walk.

penfold93

Rex Craymer Man of Danger
Staff member
Subscriber
Its OK though for all those members of the IRA who we have not prosecuted even though they killed innocent civilians!

Tin basher

Knackered Old ****
Staff member
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Wasn't a law passed for an amnesty for IRA terrorists.

Sort of. Tony Blair had letters written

"Letters of assurance were sent to more than 200 IRA suspects in the years after the Northern Ireland peace agreement telling them they were no longer wanted by the police. Critics said the letters were effectively an amnesty and a “get out of jail free card” while ministers and officials have insisted it was an administrative scheme that only informed recipients of statements of fact."

Telegraph article from 2015

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/11340732/Tony-Blair-and-the-IRA-comfort-letters-the-issues.html

justintime129

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
One thing which get me wound up, is the fact it's always the foot soldiers who get hung out to dry. Where's the LTs Captains Majors Colonels Brigadiers. Why haven't been held to account. The colonel was ordered by the brigadier to only send one company through the barriers but that order was disobeyed.

ninjarabbi

Warrant Officer
Whatever happens to this poor schlub whose been hung out to dry by HMG; it will do absolute wonders for Army recruiting!

justintime129

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
Whatever happens to this poor schlub whose been hung out to dry by HMG; it will do absolute wonders for Army recruiting!
Exactly. Maybe I watch too many CSI or silent witness, but does anybody think that they have forensics linking him to the deaths. Maybe bullets or the rifle. Would they have done anything like that 40 odd years ago

Barch

Grim Reaper 2016
1000+ Posts
Exactly. Maybe I watch too many CSI or silent witness, but does anybody think that they have forensics linking him to the deaths. Maybe bullets or the rifle. Would they have done anything like that 40 odd years ago

When I joined up (43 years ago this coming Saturday) we were informed by the Swinderby Rocks that each SLR had its own 'signature'.

Joe_90

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts
I saw one ex Chief who is a Sikh over on Facebook state he’s going to the temple this week to spread the word young Sikhs shouldn’t consider the forces as a career choice over this.

muttywhitedog

Retired Rock Star 5.5.14
1000+ Posts
That'll cut the number of interested and eligible candidates by double figures perhaps?

Joe_90

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts
That'll cut the number of interested and eligible candidates by double figures perhaps?

I was using him more as an example of one man with authority within his community. As an ex EDA and having spent time in recruiting I saw it as having a potential large impact on BAME recruiting. All 3 Forces spend a significant amount of their recruiting budget trying to convince people of influence within BAME communities. I suppose it’s just part of policy I’m particularly interested in and I know that someone somewhere is probably sighing into their cornflakes over it.

PingDit

Flight Sergeant
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Copied from a former veterans post.
Unless you have been there you will never know how it makes you feel.
A patrol will start with a briefing, you will receive an intelligence update which will include IRA and UVF attacks that have happened that week. You will also get told what the threat is, it maybe a sniper, bomber or civil unrest, that’s ok you have been exercised on all of them in Lydd, Hythe or Sennelager. You then get your patrol orders, this again will highlight the threat, and depending where you are heading to, information on the known players (terrorists) operating in that area.
You leave the camp through various exit points your eyes the size of saucers and you’re absolutely ****ting yourself! You are on the surface calm, professional and proud. But inside you are crapping it. You are scanning every face, every window, every door way, loose brick, pile of rubbish, car, every thing that could be used as a sniper position or a place to hide an IED (bomb). But it is all ok you have been trained to deal with it all; you have had the rules, you have done the exercises and seen the training videos.
Except it is not ok, because you are only 19 and Belfast looks like Chatham and Londonderry looks like Manchester and Fermanagh feels like the Brecon Beacons. The girls look like they do at home, that woman screaming at you looks like your Aunty Mary and the old man who has just called you a prick reminds you of your Grandad. Then it happens... and you react, you just ****ing react!!!
Afterwards you never expect the democratic pillars that you chose to protect as a teenager, to turn on you for your reaction that day many, many years ago; you know who I mean the government, the judiciary and the media, but they all do!!!
But you know deep down inside that unless they have done it, unless they have been there they will never ever know! The very fact that they have questioned your reaction on that day when you were still just a boy, proves that they will never know!
#betrayed #whereisthefairness

SAXAVORDIAN

Sergeant
Since his holiness Anphonius B'Liarus doled out love letters to his new Irish friends. It was only a matter of time the flying DOO DOOs were going to land on the soldiers. Never trusted this holy man for one bit, when he entered office the smell of backstabbing was written all over his face. Not saying Northern Ireland didn't need an enema, but to surrender lock stock and barrel, when Soldiers where there on the say so of governments at the behest of the people to protect from murdering scum on both sides of the divide. And till this day the murdering scum who bombed Enniskillen Omagh Birmingham Manchester London etc etc are laughing in their bars being lauded as heroes. Sorry lads and lasses if this gets me barred for breaching protocol :pDT_Xtremez_06:

UlsterExile

Sergeant
If the Solider being prosecuted is able to remember anything from nearly 50 years ago I would be very surprised. Providing he actually survives to stand trial, we know nothing of his current health or status, this could send his health rapidly down and may not even bit fit to stand trial.

The whole thing is a farce, and it should never reach the court.

Unless every IRA member comes forward with all the crimes and atrocities that has been committed by the so called IRA. Never going to happen as Martin Manginess took information to the grave with himself as he stated on more than one occasion he would never DOB his mates in!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So why are we going to allow the prosecution of a seventy something soldier??????????? Makes my blood boil.

busby1971

Super Moderator
Staff member
1000+ Posts
Probably incriminated himself, should have stuck to no comment or sorry cannot really remember.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

justintime129

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
Probably incriminated himself, should have stuck to no comment or sorry cannot really remember.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
The Saville inquiry said no one would incriminate themselves otherwise no one would have testified.