• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Blatant, unashamed running of red lights

propersplitbrainme

Warrant Officer
What the absolute fcuk is going on out there on the roads today? When did it become the norm to simply run straight through red lights so long as (or even at times if) the traffic from the other direction has started moving? Earlier today I watched as a motorcyclist (yeah yeah, deserved it being a biker, etc etc etc) arrived at the lights just as they turned to green only to have to brake to a halt as first a lorry then a car behind that simply drove straight through the lights that had turned to red while they were way back up the road.
What is it? Impatience? Arrogance? The knowledge that there's little if any chance of being caught unless the lights are covered by cameras?

Kryten

Warrant Officer
A colleague of mine drove home last night and as he approached a mini roundabout he checked to the right and found the road clear - as he pulled onto the roundabout a van driver pulled out in front of him from the next entrance, and had the nerve to give my colleague a mouthful despite being asked if he had ever grasped the concept of "giving way from the right" as per the Highway Code...

Past Engineering

Sergeant
Subscriber
Happens on nearly every set of lights in and around Lincoln on every journey, this includes RAF Waddington, primarily the Transmitter gate lights.

Blue72

SAC
Yes, this does seem to be a worsening problem. As a pedestrian I'm also constantly finding myself in danger of getting mown down by cyclists - whether on the pavement, when they totally ignore a red light, or crossing a one way street with the cyclist approaching from the "wrong" side. It baffles me - motorcyclists generally speaking grasp the concept that they have less protection around them and are therefore more likely to come off worse if tangling with a car - what is it about a cyclist who suddenly decides lycra has all the protective capabilities of kevlar crossed with sheet steel?

justintime129

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
It's not just running red lights it's general road sense and manners. This afternoon myself and another pulled over to let an ambulance past. We then tried to carry on but about 6 cars just dove past us behind the ambulance. It happened to a few other drivers in front of us as well.

Last week where I is a set of traffic lights which allow drivers to go straight on and if you're Turing left there's a separate lane. On the left lane is an island which allows pedestrians to cross. So when the filter lights on green the pedestrian light is on green to cross. I was at the bus stop and a car decides to turn left, but not use the filter lane but the straight ahead lane and turn left. There was a pedestrian crossing and nearly got knocked over, the driver then had the audacity to stop and have ago at the pedestrian. Everybody at the bus stop started on the driver who got in his car effing and jeffing and sped off.

busby1971

Super Moderator
Staff member
1000+ Posts
Cars are cheaper to run and more reliable additionally there's more and more jonny foriegner on the roads.

Sent from my LG-H818 using Tapatalk

Tin basher

Knackered Old ****
Staff member
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Red lights why oh why do cyclists think they do not apply to them in their holier than though lycra. Youv'e seen it before lights on red cyclist wishes to turn left so simply jumps onto a pavement cycles around the red light and rejoins the roadway 25yds further up.
All the lights and dayglo in the world doesn't make you right. :pDT_Xtremez_25:

vim_fuego

Hung Like a Baboon.
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Has anyone noticed the lack of traffic cops these days? I've been travelling between Cornwall and the Lakes a deal recently toting up 4000 miles in a month and a lot of the time at peak periods...the roads are a fecking mess on a Friday afternoon from tip to toe and hardly a rozzer have I seen...and only a few wombles whom I have to say do a sterling job!

muttywhitedog

Retired Rock Star 5.5.14
1000+ Posts
additionally there's more and more jonny foriegner on the roads.

Sent from my LG-H818 using Tapatalk

I'd be interested to know if the plethora of left-hand drive Eastern European cars that frequent the city I work in are registered with DVLA. The way the Poles & Latvians drive them suggests they could park where they like and drive like maniacs without ever being caught on camera.

Spearmint

Ex-Harrier Mafia Member
1000+ Posts
Not that the UK has anywhere near the real estate for such a road network nor have the kind of traffic to warrant it but by **** you don't half have to watch yourself over here Stateside whether on foot crossing or driving. It must be a Californian thing as I've not been here long yet already witnessed 2 RTI's at the lights due to impatience.

MontyPlumbs

Squadron Cock
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Not that the UK has anywhere near the real estate for such a road network nor have the kind of traffic to warrant it but by **** you don't half have to watch yourself over here Stateside whether on foot crossing or driving. It must be a Californian thing as I've not been here long yet already witnessed 2 RTI's at the lights due to impatience.

Are you in the States? You never mentioned it? :raf::raf:

penfold93

Rex Craymer Man of Danger
Staff member
Subscriber
Birmingham City Centre Driving!!!

I've driven in Limassol, Nicosia, State Side, Paris and I have to say that Birmingham comes out top in my crapdriverometer.

The following are just some of my observations, cars that don't look road worthy, windows so blacked out its looks like they have used matt emulsion, drivers that either have the seat nearly horizontal so that their head is level with the bottom of the windows, or they lean over so far that you can just see the tops of their heads over the middle of the dash board. Indicators are an accessory, mobile phones must be used by holding they directly in front of the face whilst driving, red lights are advisory only, in fact all the highway code is. Size of the car is inversely proportional to the size of women drivers oh and there seems to be a much larger proportion of disabled people as the parking bays are always full. These disabled people all seem to like to customise their vehicles (lowering them must mean easier access) and have the loudest stereo, they also all seem to have forgotten, lost or no been issued a blue badge they have all been issued baseball caps as a replacement.

Max Reheat

Resident Drunk
1000+ Posts
I agree with the Johnny Foriegner comment. I sold my old banger to a bunch of Romanians for £200. Within a month I had 2 parking tickets and 3 speeding fines come through the door while DVLA were processing the V5

Ronsuddes

SAC
Has anyone noticed the lack of traffic cops these days? I've been travelling between Cornwall and the Lakes a deal recently toting up 4000 miles in a month and a lot of the time at peak periods...the roads are a fecking mess on a Friday afternoon from tip to toe and hardly a rozzer have I seen...and only a few wombles whom I have to say do a sterling job!

The Ministry of Transport paid for the Police to patrol the Motorways,but decided to reduce this expenditure by employing their own "Traffic Control Officers" who now patrol Motorways, but I'm sure they do not have powers similar to a Police Patrol.

4mastacker

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts
The bus drivers where I live must be colour-blind as it doesn't seem to matter which colour traffic light is showing, they go past it regardless.