• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Bike trackers or anti theft devices.

Talk Wrench

E-Goat addict
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
For the second time in two years, my Mrs has had her bike nicked.

The first one was a decent 500 quid MTB and was locked with a high security lock.

The second, which was half inched on Friday just gone was a basic 200 quid jobber from Decathlon, although again, it was "protected" by a high security lock.

So, I am looking at buying a new bike for the Mrs but this time, no matter how much or how little the bike costs, I want to invest a little cash in either a bike tracker or an anti theft bike alarm.

There are quite a few products out there but the reviews are varied and range from convincing to not convincing.

Does anyone have any personal recommendations or experiences of bike trackers? Are they worth the investment or a waste of money?

Thanks in advance,

TW

On a slightly different subject I offer the following nor consideration.

If a mobile with tracking is stolen and an address is indicated as to its location police will not knock the door for you and arrest the offender. If they are outside and the phone is discovered on a stop and search it will be recovered.

How accurate will your tracker be?

Mag2grid

Corporal
On a slightly different subject I offer the following nor consideration.

If a mobile with tracking is stolen and an address is indicated as to its location police will not knock the door for you and arrest the offender. If they are outside and the phone is discovered on a stop and search it will be recovered.

How accurate will your tracker be?

Well not so sure about that one. I've rattled a few doors following robberies where we've tracked a phone to an address, stood at the front door and when someone's come to the door we've rung the phone and it's gone off, stone bonker arrest for sus of robbery or handling stolen goods.

Like most thefts proving the chain of evidence is difficult after a certain period of time, there was something on Watchdog the other night where two bikes got trackers fitted and left in certain bike theft hot spots, within 2 hours of being stolen a bike had been broken down and parts sold in Ebay the other had been sold in a pub for £50. They tracked the bike to student digs.

In relation to finding the phone as a result of stop and search,(s1 PACE) the phone becomes evidence and you won't see it for a while! In most instances it will get held for around about 4 to 7 days, I have no idea why CID seem to do something with them.

Witty_Banter

Flight Sergeant
You can buy motorcycle chain and lock combos where the locking unit houses a built-in alarm (with a motion sensor). Perhaps a bit excessive size / weight wise, but may do the job.

Failing that, store your bike next to a large Rottweiler.

G

Gord

You can buy motorcycle chain and lock combos where the locking unit houses a built-in alarm (with a motion sensor). Perhaps a bit excessive size / weight wise, but may do the job.

Failing that, store your bike next to a large Rottweiler.

I saw a program on TV where people were losing bikes despite having high security locks on them and it turned out the thieves were using liquid nitrogen to freeze the locks then whakin' them with a lump hammer breaking the locking pins inside the lock. Even your best lock didn't stand a chance.

Of course I don't know how true the story was or how easy it would be to obtain liquid nitrogen for your average punter though we had it at work to freeze heat treated rivets but I guess if it does work and it is a determined theft ring operating, they would find a way to get hold of it.

Witty_Banter

Flight Sergeant
Your average f*ckwit would probably cause more harm to themselves with liquid nitrogen, though I'm not doubting that there's people out there with access to it and enough common sense to use it safely.

I'd be more tempted to find a vindictive solution - perhaps a tear-gas release system connected to a mercury switch, that sort of thing...

PC Wan**rs

PC Wan**rs

Your average f*ckwit would probably cause more harm to themselves with liquid nitrogen, though I'm not doubting that there's people out there with access to it and enough common sense to use it safely.

I'd be more tempted to find a vindictive solution - perhaps a tear-gas release system connected to a mercury switch, that sort of thing...

You would get the PC brigade up in arms. I remember in the 80/90's when a VW owner rigged up his VW badge to an electric source so when a young hooligan (wow that sounds old!) tried to nick it he got a pretty severe electric shock.

The bloke was arrested and charged - my point would have been - he wouldn't have been electrocuted if he hadn't been trying to nick it?

Witty_Banter

Flight Sergeant
Pretty sure if he'd put warning signs up, he'd have gotten away with it. Seems that putting a warning label on things is an exercise in guaranteeing to not be sued these days...

Talk Wrench

E-Goat addict
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Thanks for the replies. :encouragement:

M2G,

Judging by your experience, would it be safe to say that a tracker would provide no extra benefit?

I think it might be a case of suck it up, buy another cheapish bike and another lock and hope for the best.

Incidentally, the powers that be at the place where my Mrs works have just upped the security because her bike wasn't the only one to go walkies during the last few weeks. Perhaps if the others who had their bikes stolen had the common sense to have reported these thefts to security, I might not have had to have asked the question about trackers :hopelessness:

Mag2grid

Corporal
If you can afford one that is concealed in the frame I'd say it's worth while, ones concealed in seats make for an uncomfortable ride or they are no good if the bike gets broken down for parts. As the frame / suspension of the bike are the most expensive parts (unless you get Gucci racing carbon fibre wheels!)

Whilst not a big deterant I recent did a "Smar****er" marking event at a local school for kids bikes which were getting nicked, we marked up all the major parts which might be of value. The local oiks, who are known for bike theft wondered past a couple of times, we seen a drop in reported thefts from the school.

In the case you describe it sounds like the above might help, bit of publicity that bikes are now "Smar****er" matched might help.

Not it sure where you are but the local Safer Neighbourhood Team might be able to sort this for you if approached by the firm.

propersplitbrainme

Warrant Officer
Whilst not a big deterant I recent did a "Smar****er" marking event at a local school for kids bikes which were getting nicked, we marked up all the major parts which might be of value. The local oiks, who are known for bike theft wondered past a couple of times, we seen a drop in reported thefts from the school.

Swear filters eh?