• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Bike test

zantola

LAC
Hi all,

Just wondering how the heart rates are calculated for the bike test?

once a person reaches 85% then the test is automatically ended for "safety reasons" which is fair enough... but how does this relate to the persons body mass index?

eg. someone with a bmi of less than 20 vs. the same sex/age with bmi of over 25.... which will have the highest 85% heart rate?

or if any PTI's are viewing,

Male, 27 years old, height 174cm, waist 88cm, weight 76kg (BMI:- 25.1%)

vs.

Male, 27 years old, height 174cm, waist 88cm, weight 85kg (BMI:- 28.1%)

would the person with the lower BMI be expected to have a lower heart rate to pass?

Regards

Z

Sospan

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts
Hi all,

Just wondering how the heart rates are calculated for the bike test?

once a person reaches 85% then the test is automatically ended for "safety reasons" which is fair enough... but how does this relate to the persons body mass index?

eg. someone with a bmi of less than 20 vs. the same sex/age with bmi of over 25.... which will have the highest 85% heart rate?

or if any PTI's are viewing,

Male, 27 years old, height 174cm, waist 88cm, weight 76kg (BMI:- 25.1%)

vs.

Male, 27 years old, height 174cm, waist 88cm, weight 85kg (BMI:- 28.1%)

would the person with the lower BMI be expected to have a lower heart rate to pass?

Regards

Z

I dont know the answer but if it helps the bike test is being replaced with the Rockport walk in 2011.

zantola

LAC
I have heard rumour of this,

Its purely out of curiosity... I like to know how things work...

bleep test i understand, but this one is new to me!

Cheers

Z

Mr Grok

LAC
Normal theoretical calculation of max heart rate is 220 minus age.

Therefore max heart rate for 20 year old is 200 (220-20), max heart rate for 50 year old is 170 (220-50).

Mass, BMI, etc doesn't enter into it!

This is only a generalized figure. The only way to determine someones max heart rate is by actually measuring it! Don't worry, when (if) you get to your max heart rate it doesn't explode, it simple doesn't beat any faster.

So a 50 year old may have a theoretical max heart rate of 170, but it might actually measure as 173, or maybe 168, or.., or.... Hopefully you get the point.

zantola

LAC
Normal theoretical calculation of max heart rate is 220 minus age.

Therefore max heart rate for 20 year old is 200 (220-20), max heart rate for 50 year old is 170 (220-50).

Mass, BMI, etc doesn't enter into it!

This is only a generalized figure. The only way to determine someones max heart rate is by actually measuring it! Don't worry, when (if) you get to your max heart rate it doesn't explode, it simple doesn't beat any faster.

So a 50 year old may have a theoretical max heart rate of 170, but it might actually measure as 173, or maybe 168, or.., or.... Hopefully you get the point.

So in theory... the body mass index has [spanner] all to do with the bike test then?

Mr Grok

LAC
Not a PTI, don't know how the bike test works - but BMI certainly has nothing to do with max heart rate, and therefore nothing to do with 85% of max heart rate!!!!!

OK..Igiveup

Corporal
I think

I think

Again I am no PTI.....as anyone who knows me will back up!!!
But i am sure for the RAF bike test, weight comes into it. I seem to remember the heavier you are the lower your limit.
So if you are a bit tubby the test is already against you compared to a leaner individual.
Just my thoughts...any pti's with any more info? assuming there are no mirrors on the way to the keyboard?? :pDT_Xtremez_42:

N

NotAnIDOYet

Again I am no PTI.....as anyone who knows me will back up!!!
But i am sure for the RAF bike test, weight comes into it. I seem to remember the heavier you are the lower your limit.
So if you are a bit tubby the test is already against you compared to a leaner individual.
Just my thoughts...any pti's with any more info? assuming there are no mirrors on the way to the keyboard?? :pDT_Xtremez_42:

I can concur with this. As a slighlty portly chap who cannot do the bleep test, but keeps himself fit with cycling around 100 miles a week during the summer and hitting the trainer in the garage in this weather, I failed the test. The calculations are flawed and command PEd knew it, hence the Rockport Walk we are getting in January.

For the bike test there is a weight/age chart giving a theoretical max load (kiloponds - whatever they are) that you should be aiming for on the bike. I train above the max HR I was allowed to get to and even my keen cyclist PTI said that the way you have to cycle to pass the test does not favour a cyclist. There was quite a lot of shock around my location when I failed and quite a bit of panic from me!

The charts are also not really set up for a larger chap with a modicum of fitness.

W

What's the bloody point?

I dont know the answer but if it helps the bike test is being replaced with the Rockport walk in 2011.

Sounds sensible and more relevant. Now all my unit (and many others I imagine) have to do is buy a 400m athletics track! Should be money in the coffers for this I am sure.

What's that? War on? No cash? Oh ok!

No track needed. All they will do is mark out a set distance in the gym, identified by cones, and get you walk between them until you have completed 1609m!

Keeps you dry, out of the weather and should be flat.

:pDT_Xtremez_14:

raflad67

Corporal
No track needed. All they will do is mark out a set distance in the gym, identified by cones, and get you walk between them until you have completed 1609m!

Keeps you dry, out of the weather and should be flat.

:pDT_Xtremez_14:

I do hope there will be no twisting involved as my knees, ankles etc cannot cope with such exertions....:pDT_Xtremez_34: