• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

BFG Instructions.

Talk Wrench

E-Goat addict
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
It's really not that long ago that we had in incredible situation within Europe going on.

RAF Germany, tax free cars, cheap beer, Mally clubs and a thousand other brilliant things that the Cold War gave us.

This may not be relevant to the young war fighters of today, but for others....it may bring back some memories!

Last edited:

GOV1

LAC
Blurred drunken fantastic memories (lucky enough to have dome two tours).

Travel around Europe, Munich Beer Festivals, camping in Koblenz, free Skiing in Garmisch, bottles of Wobbly, street of a thousand bars in MG, the list is endless!

I went on the military train to Berlin for a weekend jolly, armed guards and silver service meals onboard with a splendid “Strictly comes dancing” performance by the Russian guards as we entered East Germany.

Cracking time in East Berlin, I remember it was 5 DM,s to the pound and then 20 East German Marks to the DM.

Felt like royalty in the restaurants and shopping arcades.

Roll around in Mon Charisse in West Berlin (young blonde maidens and mud baths), any body had the pleasure?

stereolab

Station Cashier
Blurred drunken fantastic memories (lucky enough to have dome two tours).

Travel around Europe, Munich Beer Festivals, camping in Koblenz, free Skiing in Garmisch, bottles of Wobbly, street of a thousand bars in MG, the list is endless!

I went on the military train to Berlin for a weekend jolly, armed guards and silver service meals onboard with a splendid “Strictly comes dancing” performance by the Russian guards as we entered East Germany.

Cracking time in East Berlin, I remember it was 5 DM,s to the pound and then 20 East German Marks to the DM.

Felt like royalty in the restaurants and shopping arcades.

Roll around in Mon Charisse in West Berlin (young blonde maidens and mud baths), any body had the pleasure?
I went up to Berlin on the military train whilst based at Ramstein, still have the documents. I was drinking back then and it was a heady weekend, bitterly cold. Rules on board the train very strict, and were closely monitored. Saw all the usual sites, and visited some of the very exotic nightlife.

UlsterExile

Sergeant
My alleged 3 year tour ar Bruggen was 2, OC House completed a 3 year tour!!!!!!. Was great through, Rhine in Flames was one of the best times of the year, each weekend plot your way down the Rhine town to town, food and drink was something else. Xmas markets were Xmas Markets not what councils think it is!!

Great time.

SAXAVORDIAN

Sergeant
Never had the chance even though put in for posting for Germany ended up a Jungle Bunny in Belize. But the guys and girls who went certainly make you yearn of those times. Says much about the Eastern German police not even trusted on both sides of the fence. Was obligatory to have a moustache. :ROFLMAO:

Rigga

Licensed Aircraft Engineer
1000+ Posts
Licensed A/C Eng
...and the worst thing is that I NEVER applied for Germany!....I only ever applied for Hong Kong, Cyprus and Gibraltar.

Talk Wrench

E-Goat addict
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
I've spent a lot of time during recent years researching the Cold War and in particular, the role of British Forces Germany. When I say researching, I mean reading books about it, films about it, YouTube videos and furthermore, when I get the chance to do so, I head off to places that were instrumental in the RAF'S cold war operations. It's just a subject that I find absolutely fascinating yet it rarely gets discussed these days.

Two years ago, I was lucky enough to visit the former RAF Gatow and have a walk around the place. It's incredible that the RAF were still there until 1993 when the "Options for Change" program was busy dealing with the "Peace Dividend" (Peace Dividend my ar*e")

fourteen2two

Corporal
We went on a river trip a few years ago ending up in Berlin, its a great city. Interesting to see the parts of the wall they have kept .
We planned to go to Germany last year visiting old haunts with our touring van, including the Laarbruch museum, but damn covid put the mockers on that! Hopefully next year.

Talk Wrench

E-Goat addict
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
We went on a river trip a few years ago ending up in Berlin, its a great city. Interesting to see the parts of the wall they have kept .
We planned to go to Germany last year visiting old haunts with our touring van, including the Laarbruch museum, but damn covid put the mockers on that! Hopefully next year.
From my last visit to Berlin

Attachments

• 20190221_140819.jpg
    20190221_140819.jpg
    828.8 KB · Views: 7

Are El

LAC
Out of nearly 23 years service, 4 RAFG tours, total 13 years, Laarbruch twice & Bruggen twice, last tour at Bruggen, demob over here in 2000, where we've stayed ever since.
It was a great time, but I've absolutely no desire to go back! I feel a bit sorry for the "youngsters" who'll never get to experience it.