• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best Skive?

vim_fuego

Hung Like a Baboon.
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Even the most Saintly amongst swung the lead whilst in...whether because you could or to buy time to recover from a heavy night.

What was your best skive?

For me at STM it was climbing into an empty Spey 250 transit bag that was slung over the transit trolley...it made a hammock of sorts that you could wrap the excess over yourself to get really snugly...you were still at work in theory but out of sight and sleepy bo-bo's.

As aircrew you had a number of arrows in your quiver if you really needed to not do something unpleasant but you had to play them occasionally as the sense of humour about such things was less apparent...the old not able to clear your ears, timing your dentistry work for the rules to ground you (anaesthetic restrictions) and there was a number of things you could do on board the aircraft or in the sim to make sure you weren't going to achieve your aims.

Anyone else got some moves?

Warwick Hunt

Persona Non-Grata
1000+ Posts
The WW2 tunnels underneath certain buildings at (formerly) HQSTC that were used as file archives/somewhere to stash the burning bags.

GOV1

LAC
A few days in MPA, waltzing around the various Forward Supply Sqn Stores with a voucher checking things and stuff.

Another good one, that could last a week at least was checking the POL Cabinets on all the sections around the camp. Scoring all the T bars for quality, biscuits etc etc

Spearmint

Ex-Harrier Mafia Member
1000+ Posts
Some of us used to find an old Canopy Cover (Harrier) which had a sheepskin lining and use that to fall asleep in to recover from the Thursday Bop / RAF RAF Stamford / Breakfast Club shenanigans. To avoid getting caught it was up on top of a container used as the Riggers workshop (Grinding wheel etc).

One of our lot disappeared at about 10am as we had word that the Floppy Sausage knew he was too pissed still to work on aircraft so he was safe out of harms way.

At around 1830hrs, one by one our phones were getting missed calls from the lad as we had all fucked off home around 1500 and secured the Hangar! 😂

Oldstacker

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
Back in the 70's, long, long before mobile phones were invented, Forward Delivery in Supply Sqdn's offered opportunities to go 'off the radar' for an hour or more - especially if you were at a certain Lincolnshire fast jet station where the burning area for the disposal of scrap tyres was on the far side of the airfield, down in a dip out of sight of even ATC. One of my colleagues was known to regularly go and have a crafty kip over there...

Tin basher

Knackered Old ****
Staff member
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Best skive 1990 to 1994 at AMS (Aircraft maintenance Section) on the airfield at Halton. Max reheat myself and some other fortunate souls had a wonderful life there. Anyone who left work with a dab on was doing it wrong.

Rigga

Licensed Aircraft Engineer
1000+ Posts
Licensed A/C Eng
With a couple of Crew seat cushions, the tail boom of a whirlwind was a sanctuary on some hangover days (or nights!) However you couldn’t afford even to purr in that megaphone shape.

Last edited:

Late & Tired

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts
Climbing on top of the forward tank bay in a Victor in the hangar offered enough headroom and lighting for a card school of 4...

vim_fuego

Hung Like a Baboon.
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Good Skive on 1435Flt down South was offering to do the mail run...you actually did the mail run but also went to the NAAFI, got a hair cut, booked a sun bed for later and went for tea and stickies in the charity cafe place (name escapes me). On the way back you could call via the chopper or Herc guys and score some tickets for their bar as well.

Last edited:

dctyke

Corporal
In those days long gone I always used to knock on the WOs door to volunteer to be on Sqn Colour party for the annual AOCs parade, mates thought I was mad! Little did they know. We did our little unfurling the colour parade out of the way prior to the parade, the WO would uncase the colour, pass the case to me and I would smartly march off with it......... to the crew room . And stay there whilst the rest spent a hour or two on the square. To top it off the WO even uped my annual report for my dedication.......... lovely!

Cornish_Pikey

Sergeant
Camera magazine "loading" on a recce squadron. Red light on the darkroom meant no one could enter. Pitch black, air conditioned bliss on detachments like Belize, perfect hangover recovery skive.

Cornish_Pikey

Sergeant
In those days long gone I always used to knock on the WOs door to volunteer to be on Sqn Colour party for the annual AOCs parade, mates thought I was mad! Little did they know. We did our little unfurling the colour parade out of the way prior to the parade, the WO would uncase the colour, pass the case to me and I would smartly march off with it......... to the crew room . And stay there whilst the rest spent a hour or two on the square. To top it off the WO even uped my annual report for my dedication.......... lovely!
I was Standard Orderly for a few years, I can second that being the best place on a parade. 32 paces of actual marching per parade then off to the pub for the duration of the parade with the WO. Technically on ceremonial flight therefore exempt from guard duties.

PraiseBacon

Sergeant
Bird control at Valley – I slept off many a hangover behind the bushes at the top of TACAN hill. As long a you drove past the tower a couple of times a shift, no-one really bothered you..

Vushtrri

Sergeant
Best skive 1990 to 1994 at AMS (Aircraft maintenance Section) on the airfield at Halton. Max reheat myself and some other fortunate souls had a wonderful life there. Anyone who left work with a dab on was doing it wrong.
You had the airfield...lucky you! I finished my leckies FT course in 1981 hoping to get RTU back to Lyneham.......some twat posted me into Stn Workshops at Halton instead as apparently they needed one to calibrate oxygen trolley gauges....!!