• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best Job Ever

KingGuin

Sergeant
I'm fed up with all the doom and gloom on our forum so let's have some light heartedness. Where was/is your best ever job? I can't decide beween:

1. Being SAC perm staff at Hereford in it's heyday - ahh trainees!

2. Being in Belize, on subby pay teaching young ladies how to swim whilst having a show on BFBS.

3. Getting my tapes and being posted to the home of RAF Nurse training.

Never had a bad tour, just some were more enjoyable than others.

What about you lot?

muttywhitedog

Retired Rock Star 5.5.14
1000+ Posts
No Brainer - 54(F) Sqn at Coltishall 92-96.

Incirlik (x2), Gioia (x4), Vegas, Deci, Edmonton, Sicily, Florrennes, Denmark, Norway and probably other places as well that have become a blur!

Wars on Rates in Hotels, Water Jousting Competitions, Bowl, Bop & then Boswells in Norwich on a Thursday night, Price Wars between the Magdalen St Curry Houses, the TG17 Golf (aka P!ss-up) society.

4 years of a laugh a minute. Absolutely gutted to leave, but thankfully got back again 2003-closure.

Like KG, all of my tours (apart from a 16 month stint with the Moray Air Force) have had highlights, but Colt in the 90s will never be beaten.

Shiny_Rob

Corporal
For the location it's got to be Ramstein 99 - 02, although taking F1771's home at night so I could spend a few hours with the kids and then carry on working was a bit of a downer.

Best job has to be PA to Station Commander at Locking 98-99.

icarus

LAC
Has to be Northolt VASS for me, long before those civvies got hold of yet another of those nice cushy postings with which to spend some time away from continual Ops.

With London and one of its tube station alongside good road links to all compass points on your doorstep then there was always some form of escapism not far away.

For the location it has to be Berlin whilst the wall was coming down. One continuous party. Best job has to be Afghanistan in the early days. Not hindered by H&S and all rules were there to be adapted (broken).

True Blue Jack

Warrant Officer
Hard to choose as I've never really had a bad job, although I have had some 'colleagues' I would happily never see again! However:

Laarbruch PSF will always live fondly in my memory (at least those bits that I remember!).

GD at Bentley Priory was a lot more fun than it first sounds, and having London on our doorstep was amazing.

But the winner (so far) has to be UKSU, SHAPE. 3 years at the crossroads of Europe, worked hard, played harder.

kidcock

SAC
Easy, 4 Months in Riyadh Aug to Nov 1990. Worked in the Embassy, lived in Arabian homes in my own villa. Because I was working with a Gp Capt I was allocated GP Capt's rate 1's for the tour. I came back to UK minted. However, I was then sent to that fcucking bunker at High Wycombe for the duration of Gulf War 1 which was sh1te. So it swings in roundabouts.

tommo9999

Higher Pay Band Shiney
Bruggen 89-92 - What a tour, lived in Holland as a singly, good rugby etc etc
Palermo - Jul - Nov 96 was a great 4 months as was Eskan Jan-May 01. Never had a bad tour really.

Realist78

Master of my destiny
Engine test bed at Lossie. Great bunch of colleagues, only ended when I told the SNCO IC the shop floor that he was building sh1te engines, he gets posted , I get his job (your obviously the man to fix it etc), should've kept my gob shut!:pDT_Xtremez_28:

It would have to be either being the Stattie in Goose Bay 1991-93, (15 weeks in Vegas and 5 weeks in Alaska)or Sek Kong, Kia Tak in 1995 -97. Although being a Sqn Stattie in Bruggen 1999-2001 was good too.:pDT_Xtremez_28:

busby1971

Super Moderator
Staff member
1000+ Posts
Cyprus

Cyprus

Episkopi 1991 - 94, This was Cyprus before they remembered it existed and the Army took over.

Lots of staff, screened tours, early starts and finishes, very cheap lifestyle, what a lifestyle.

Had lots of chats with boss, Snowdrops and RMPs but nothing stuck, afterall it wasn't me.

Recovered self and career, any more than 3 years and I would've been either in Debtors Jail, MCTC or hospital.

Coltishall was good and St Mawgan great (even a couple of years in PSF couldn't spoil that place). Not had a bad posting yet, and it's too late now for a 5hitty stick posting now....

Man in Black

Corporal
As sad as it sounds, teaching Phase 2 at SecTS (Halton & Southwick Park) from Aug 2002-Apr 2006. It is the only job I didn't want to leave.

Also 2 fantastic years in PSF Akrotiri Nov 97 to Dec 99. Great working hours, fantastic social life and so much on offer for the family, that we hardly saw each other.

Last edited:
B

Bucc Boy

Lossie 12 Squadron - Buccaneers! Fcuk me the RAF hasn't been the same since.

Humble Scribe

Sergeant
Innsworth in the early 80's was one of my best tours socially where I met loads of mates who have stayed mates; four months at Hereford on P&A in between was also excellent. Job wise any PSF tour (Stanmore, Benson + current) have been fantastic with some bl00dy good colleagues & some great times in & out of work.

Toss up between what I have now on 22 Sqn SAR, but not the same since I moved from North Devon to Valley or my last OOA in Basra, the job there was awesome. If had not been for the wife I would have extended my time.

fed_up_scribbly

Corporal
I've a few I couldn't choose between as all were fantastic jobs for different reasons; 31 Sqn Bruggen 89-92, AFCO Shrewsbury 98-01, TCW 04-07. On all of these posts I got involved in things that were non TG17 related and I had a ball.

M

MyShineyAr$e

2 years at CJPU Episkopi as unit clerk. Easy job and great hours.

Got trained in quick cuff and baton techniques just incase the unit got tasked to provide a Prisoner Holding Facility during Telic. How fun was that, although the RMP who trained me clearly didn't grasp the fact that we were on the same side. Cuff'ed me then gave the Cuffs a tap with the baton. Oh the Pain!

Winter was great as well, Skiing in the morning, on the beach in the afternoon.

Happy days.