• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Beercalls are good - it's 'official' !

gray

Sergeant
Bring Back the ‘Drink & Think’! Unleashing the Power of Professional Development

It's where most of the inter-section work got done on a Wednesday/Friday afternoon :)

https://fromthegreennotebook.com/20...ashing-the-power-of-professional-development/

"The stimulating exchange among fellow leaders in an informal setting has played a key role in shaping the intellects of many of our most prominent leaders in the past, and it should be playing such a role today. Unfortunately, Drink & Think seems to have become a distressingly uncommon practice among our junior officers. Many incorrectly perceive professional development as being almost the exclusive purview of one’s superiors or of the Army’s schoolhouses. Nothing could be further from the truth. Today’s young leaders must bring Drink & Think back to life."

Witty_Banter

Flight Sergeant
When there was a stronger 'beer culture' in the military, things got done swiftly. Issues were sorted out, one way or another. These days, everyone's a wannabe Olympic athlete, too caught up in their phys and running marathons. Such a shame....

vim_fuego

Hung Like a Baboon.
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
I work for a company that is still old fashioned enough that we go to the pub at lunch time on occasion...helps to break down barriers that desk dividers put up.

busby1971

Super Moderator
Staff member
1000+ Posts
Nearest I get these days is golf weekends, second days game is always so much worse than the first.

Not quite so sure we get things fixed but we do have a better work bond.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Rigga

Licensed Aircraft Engineer
1000+ Posts
Licensed A/C Eng
When I left he mob I joined a company that wouldn't support a regular social event of its employees to discuss present issues (a drinking session).
So I instigated and eventually enlarged a weekly Carb Binge leading the event to a local greasy Joe's Caff to a gathering of 10-15 staff on a Friday Lunchtime, all chatting about stuff screwing up the workflow...worked a treat!

Gonterseed

Flight Sergeant
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
When there was a stronger 'beer culture' in the military, things got done swiftly. Issues were sorted out, one way or another.....

My thoughts exactly. A few sherbets go a long way to digging out barriers that are introduced by the departmental empire builders, office politicians and the thick-as-sh!t pond-life who manage to create and then hide behind a mass of useless processes.

vim_fuego

Hung Like a Baboon.
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Do the bars still exist within the mob to have beercalls? Most of my squadron bars got enough use to warrant barrels and taps. I know if its a once in a blue moon thing then that would mean waste so its bottles only. Any serving out there to confirm?

Witty_Banter

Flight Sergeant
Do the bars still exist within the mob to have beercalls? Most of my squadron bars got enough use to warrant barrels and taps. I know if its a once in a blue moon thing then that would mean waste so its bottles only. Any serving out there to confirm?

From what I've seen, the only bars that have beer on tap are SNEC / Rupert's Messes, and ISS-run facilities. Sqn bars, which are few and far between (even the sports and social bars) tend to be bottle / can jobs.

Highflyer

LAC
I think everyone would rather go to town or a nice local pub. The prices seem to be rising in the families bar and the atmosphere dropping.

I'm can't speak for all workplaces but our management tell us to put leave in if we are going to get drunk! It's changed a bit in the past ten years that i have seen.