• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Battle casualty figures

Vagabond

Sergeant
I was on the phone this morning to a mate of mine who is a Sgt on a Rockape field squadron. Conversation naturally went onto the recent deaths of the lads from 1 sqn in the rocket attack in Basrah.

When I asked if their were many casualties in the attack he informed me that he had heard unofficially that their were numerous casualties some of them very serious. I reiterate this is just a rumour. When I said that surely any other casualties would soon be known in a relatively small regiment in an increasingly small Airforce he replied that the lads on his sqn get told the sum total of fook all.

Taking this into a broader arena. I can't seem to find any reliable information on non-fatal battle casualties in Iraq/Afghanistan. I'm pretty sure the powers that be are at best manipulating the statistics and at worst lying about casualties. Why they are doing this I don't know, the Great British public don't seem to give a toss anyway.

AS the fighting intensifies surely more lads are getting injured. Why don't we hear of them.

What's going on? Are these figures in the public domain?

P

POB

I have done a quick search on BBC and not been able to find numbers, but there was a comment that the MoD do have the figures (for seriously injured), but would not "information capture" for anyone. It has been in the news on and off for a while, and Dr Liam Fox (Tory) gets on his soap box occasionally about it. There was something in the news last week about it...Something like, "% injured is greater than WW2," but again I can't find a link just yet.

B

Bill Bones

When I asked if their were many casualties in the attack he informed me that he had heard unofficially that their were numerous casualties some of them very serious. I reiterate this is just a rumour. When I said that surely any other casualties would soon be known in a relatively small regiment in an increasingly small Airforce he replied that the lads on his sqn get told the sum total of fook all

Heard similar mate!

Downsizer

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
A contact on TMW told me there were other injuries too unfortunately. Interestingly they were on about casevacs on 5 Live this morning too and mentioned figures but I can't remember what they were.

Red-Rock

Sergeant
I was on the phone this morning to a mate of mine who is a Sgt on a Rockape field squadron. Conversation naturally went onto the recent deaths of the lads from 1 sqn in the rocket attack in Basrah.

When I asked if their were many casualties in the attack he informed me that he had heard unofficially that their were numerous casualties some of them very serious. I reiterate this is just a rumour. When I said that surely any other casualties would soon be known in a relatively small regiment in an increasingly small Airforce he replied that the lads on his sqn get told the sum total of fook all.

Taking this into a broader arena. I can't seem to find any reliable information on non-fatal battle casualties in Iraq/Afghanistan. I'm pretty sure the powers that be are at best manipulating the statistics and at worst lying about casualties. Why they are doing this I don't know, the Great British public don't seem to give a toss anyway.

AS the fighting intensifies surely more lads are getting injured. Why don't we hear of them.

What's going on? Are these figures in the public domain?
Just after the attack I got a mail off a mate who is a Rock Sgt out in Iraq and he told me that other than the 3 deaths there were '6 casevaced to UK with 2 of them critical and 4 very serious plus numerous injuries that were less serious'

There was hardly any mention of this in the news and no reports about it after the lads were named. I have heard since from another Rock serving on 1 Sqn that the injured lads are doing pretty well now.

I haven't been able to find any other info on casualties from eithe Afganistan or Iraq. Something ain't right!!

Boarderlyne

Sergeant
The number of Aeromeds is quite worrying as you don't exactly get one for a twisted sock and I would suggest that this is a better indicator than 'Non Battle Injury' is.

C

cockneyrock

Gents,

Just thought I would throw in my two pence worth and say that this thread is IMHO getting close to some very dodgy ground.

Whilst I know that no names have been mentioned, a unit has. I too agree that the MOD response to numbers of casualties is frankly bollox, however, there may be other very good reasons why they are not reported. Lets not forget that this webpage can be looked at by anyone including the press, enemy (one in the same?) and by families and friends. Speculation about numbers etc could only make things worse for those back home.

I have said my piece and will retreat back into the hole I came from. Good day gentlemen.:pDT_Xtremez_31:

P

pueblos

Cockneyrock
Whilst I agree that using Sqn numbers/unit designations is wrong, and the guessing of casualty figures leads to moral loss… The answers as you have said are there on the net for all (enemy/friend/press/government official and US THE MILITARY) to see…

As to what unit is currently deployed in eye-rack, the answer is provided on a lot of… official… government sites plus a lot un-official ones.

The simple fact is the info is there for all to see, the lads and lasses in this discussion are only sharing their thoughts… We are entitled to our opinion as well, after all, we (a good portion of us) have/will serve there!!!

But that’s just my opinion…:pDT_Xtremez_43:

Vagabond

Sergeant
Gents,

Just thought I would throw in my two pence worth and say that this thread is IMHO getting close to some very dodgy ground.

Whilst I know that no names have been mentioned, a unit has. I too agree that the MOD response to numbers of casualties is frankly bollox, however, there may be other very good reasons why they are not reported. Lets not forget that this webpage can be looked at by anyone including the press, enemy (one in the same?) and by families and friends. Speculation about numbers etc could only make things worse for those back home.

I have said my piece and will retreat back into the hole I came from. Good day gentlemen.:pDT_Xtremez_31:

Fair play CR. I didn't want the thread to get into the nitty gritty of specific casualties but to be fair no posts have compromised anyone. Maybe I was wrong to mention the Regt casualties but I do think it is important for people to know what is happening.

I just think it's feckin scandalous that the truth is not only kept from civvies but from those still serving.

If people know the real cost of these ridiculous wars, it might galvanise them to do something about them and it prevents the lads that have been injured being forgotten about.