• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Bahrain GP

MrMasher

Somewhere else now!
Subscriber
Taking a step closer to Europe we next see ourselves at the Bahrain International Circuit.

Situated on the south of the main island, the complex opened in 2004 and features 6 individual tracks including a drag strip and an oval.

Apart from a few exhibition races in Dubai in the 1980's this was the first time the Middle East started hosting F1 races.

Designed by Herman Tilke the track is quite tight and technical rather than fast and flowing. Believe it or not a sprinkler system is in place around the track attempting to keep the sand off the track. 12,000 tonnes of stone were used making this track, one third of it Welsh granite, chosen for its excellent surface adhesive qualities.

The spring weather seems to be pretty good, dry and hot without the opressive humidity we saw at Sepang. Average temperatures for April is around 28 degrees C.
Having said that we saw in pre-season testing that sand storms can ravage the place!
The long range forecast is no rain for Fri, Sat or Sun, with a high of 37 degrees C on Friday dropping to 34 for Sat and Sun. A nice dry race at last!!

The track itself is 3.4 miles long with 12 turns; 7 left handers and 5 right handers. At four points we reach 7th gear, at the other end of the extreme we also have two 1st gear corners. This years race length is 57 laps.
The lap record is currently held by Michael Schumacher with a 1:30.252.

Previous winners, Massa, Massa, Alonso, Alonso and Schumacher. No prizes for working out that neither Massa or Alonso will get the hat trick this year unless several cars go for a spot of destruction derby!

Coming off the back of China it would appear that Red Bull are the ones on form having secured a 1-2. BrawnGP are still no slouches though, McLaren seem to have developed some pace and Renault will have some data now about their diffuser.

The big question will be will anyone else introduce a new diffuser by next weekend and who will run KERS?

In the future it will be worth keeping an eye on Red Bull and Williams.

If Red Bull are this strong without a diffuser it shows than Adrian Newey has indeed worked some magic once again. If he manages to incorporate a double decker diffuser into that Red Bull, Vettel and Webber will more than likely be locking out the top podium steps quite often.

Williams have themselves a flywheel KERS system to introduce at some point. They have been pretty quick with Rosberg in particular impressing in free practice. It will be interesting to see how the flywheel system delivers its power once its fitted and running.

I think that Bahrain will be the maybe the last opportunity for Brawn, Red Bull and Toyota to perhaps maximise points before the European season comes into play and the rest of the teams start to fit their new diffusers and aero modifications.

F1 TIMETABLE. Times shown are our times:

Fri 24 April 2009
Friday Practice 1 08.00 - 09:30
Friday Practice 2 12.00 - 13:30
Sat 25 April 2009
Saturday Practice 09.00 - 10.00
Qualifying12.00
Sun 26 April 2009
Race13.00

Here's an onboard view of the lap from 2004 with Sato. Just listen to that V10 scream!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mpf6LiRK37o

Off season saw the teams test here so they all have plenty of data on the track so set ups should be fairly quick unless Bridgestone throw a spanner in the works and bring the wrong tyres!

The Red Bull has been fantastic in the wet, lets see how they compare to Brawn GP in the dry.

Away from the track we have a few things brewing up:

The spat between Flavio and Ross Brawn linky

McLaren team furious with Hamilton linky

Lastly, I apologise for the images below. I attempted to put them into the article but they ended up below!

Last edited:
G

grumpyoldb

Good intro Mr M.
I think Massa may get his own way next week. He wants KERS back on his car.
Hope we get a weekend like we've just had, with the result at the end of the race, and not a stewards inquiry in sight.

As for Briatore, Brawn said earlier, "He needs to check his medication".

techie_tubby

Warrant Officer
I like Bahrain, plenty of chances to overtake, fast sweeping corners, heavy breaking into the U-Turnof corners 9 and 10. Should be a good race!! Be interesting to see how KERS will affect the race

Killer Queen

Flight Sergeant
Subscriber
Excellent intro Mr M

Fingers crossed for another week with no post race decisions and a spiced up grid.

I Look Like Kevin Costner

Grand Prix fanatic..
The Brawns will be fairly strong all season I feel and will be at the sharp end of Bahrain. I've been dispointed by the Williams drop off in preformance, I thought Rosberg would have been more prominant.

Can Ferrari start their season? Will they refit the KERS? Will BMW turn up??

M

monobrow

Will BMW turn up??
Will there be a BMW / Toyota cross after his Trulli "mount"??

As for the Hamilton story up there, it really doesn't surprise me after seeing his nonchlant tones on screen with regards to his remaining 4 years at McLaren. The team has only guided you from karting to F1 world championship, F*ck em eh?

Plus I would like to add, I'm getting f*cked off with seeing every man and his dog's Dad as part of the race. I'm sure they are all there, and I'm sure their proud as punch, but it's only since "man chewing a wasp" Hamilton Snr turned up that it started.

G

grumpyoldb

Must admit I'd be a tadge pee'd off if I was world champion, and mi dad turned up at every race to hold my hand. He needs a professional manager.
As well as negotiating the contract, they tend to try to give the driver some sound advice. Buttons father was a racing driver, and has some experience, but Hammy senior just seems to want to control the money.

MrMasher

Somewhere else now!
Subscriber
Will there be a BMW / Toyota cross after his Trulli "mount"??

As for the Hamilton story up there, it really doesn't surprise me after seeing his nonchlant tones on screen with regards to his remaining 4 years at McLaren. The team has only guided you from karting to F1 world championship, F*ck em eh?

Plus I would like to add, I'm getting f*cked off with seeing every man and his dog's Dad as part of the race. I'm sure they are all there, and I'm sure their proud as punch, but it's only since "man chewing a wasp" Hamilton Snr turned up that it started.

Don't you remember Buttons dad being on tv a few years back? Fair play though, Buttons dad seems like he is actually there for the sheer fun of it, unlike Hamilton Snr who seems to be delving into the politics of F1.

Anyone remember that car on Top Gear, one half was an Alpha and the other half was a Saab. Thats what will happen with Toyota and BMW!!

M

monobrow

To be fair I'm returning to F1. Got bored of the german in a red car dominating absolutely everything a few years back...

Tin basher

Knackered Old ****
Staff member
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Anyone remember that car on Top Gear, one half was an Alpha and the other half was a Saab.

Off Topic Yes James May had it built can't remember why? Limo challenge maybe? Off Topic

Grand Prix fanatic..
I got a copy of the Autosport pre season special where the cover had all the race winners of last year. Looking at it prior to Sunday, only 2 drivers of the 7 had scored points (and the highest was 4 for Alonso!). Seb Vettal and Heiki made it another 2, however the three drivers that finished 2nd, 3rd & 4th last year have yet to score a point this year! How the form book has been ripped up....

I can see Kubica binning BMW at the end of the year if they continue the way they are going, he could have been WDC last year if BMW hadn't stopped development mid season to develop this years car....

G

grumpyoldb

I got a copy of the Autosport pre season special where the cover had all the race winners of last year. Looking at it prior to Sunday, only 2 drivers of the 7 had scored points (and the highest was 4 for Alonso!). Seb Vettal and Heiki made it another 2, however the three drivers that finished 2nd, 3rd & 4th last year have yet to score a point this year! How the form book has been ripped up....

I can see Kubica binning BMW at the end of the year if they continue the way they are going, he could have been WDC last year if BMW hadn't stopped development mid season to develop this years car....

..............and it doesn't seem to have done them much good at that!

Grand Prix fanatic..
G

grumpyoldb

Jarno Trulli and Timo Glock claimed Toyota's first ever Formula 1 front row sweep as the Japanese manufacturer dominated Bahrain Grand Prix qualifying.
The result was Toyota's first pole since the 2005 Japanese GP, and came after increasingly impressive progress from the team in the opening rounds of the season.

Pos Driver Team Q1 Q2 Q3
1. Trulli Toyota (B) 1:32.779 1:32.671 1:33.431
2. Glock Toyota (B) 1:33.165 1:32.613 1:33.712
3. Vettel Red Bull-Renault (B) 1:32.680 1:32.474 1:34.015
4. Button Brawn-Mercedes (B) 1:32.978 1:32.842 1:34.044
5. Hamilton McLaren-Mercedes (B) 1:32.851 1:32.877 1:34.196
6. Barrichello Brawn-Mercedes (B) 1:33.116 1:32.842 1:34.239
7. Alonso Renault (B) 1:33.627 1:32.860 1:34.578
8. Massa Ferrari (B) 1:33.297 1:33.014 1:34.818
9. Rosberg Williams-Toyota (B) 1:33.672 1:33.166 1:35.134
10. Raikkonen Ferrari (B) 1:33.117 1:32.827 1:35.380
11. Kovalainen McLaren-Mercedes (B) 1:33.479 1:33.242
12. Nakajima Williams-Toyota (B) 1:33.221 1:33.348
13. Kubica BMW-Sauber (B) 1:33.495 1:33.487
14. Heidfeld BMW-Sauber (B) 1:33.377 1:33.562
15. Piquet Renault (B) 1:33.608 1:33.941
16. Sutil Force India-Mercedes (B) 1:33.722
17. Buemi Toro Rosso-Ferrari (B) 1:33.753
18. Fisichella Force India-Mercedes (B) 1:33.910
19. Webber Red Bull-Renault (B) 1:34.038
20. Bourdais Toro Rosso-Ferrari (B) 1:34.159

techie_tubby

Warrant Officer
Where did the Toyota's come from? Blistering pace from both of them, looking forward to tomorrows race and NOT A DROP OF RAIN IN SIGHT!!!!