• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

BAe having second thoughs on LEAN?

I Look Like Kevin Costner

Grand Prix fanatic..
Talking to a mate at Marham today, subject got onto BAE at Marham as he is moving over to them from the last blue suit p* team. Rumour has it that BAe are failing to get their kites out of the door on time (like hardly any!). Rumour also has it they have asked the blue suit why they can get P* jets out consistanty out on time, working to the outmoded and totally rejected by our higher management, system of team maintance we used for years before Gp Capt LEAN AIRSKATE and his consultant buddies turned up and showed our masters that we were completly wrong? Another rumour I heard was that as some aircraft are priority to do "On Time", they may employ the old style team system to do those majors?

Is Lean going to die at Marham>>>:pDT_Xtremez_19:

if so please can it happen before I hopefully get there, Seen Lean on the Heaps, Been there, Done that!!!:pDT_Xtremez_17:

Last edited:

Realist78

Master of my destiny
Talking to a mate at Marham today, subject got onto BAE at Marham as he is moving over to them from the last blue suit p* team. Rumour has it that BAe are failing to get their kites out of the door on time (like hardly any!). Rumour also has it they have asked the blue suit why they can get P* jets out consistanty out on time, working to the outmoded and totally rejected by our higher management system of team maintance we used for years before Gp Capt LEAN AIRSKATE and his consultant buddies turned up and showed our masters that we were completly wrong? Another rumour I heard was that as some aircraft are priority to do "On Time", they may employ the old style team system to do those majors?

Is Lean going to die at Marham>>>:pDT_Xtremez_19:

if so please can it happen before I hopefully get there, Seen Lean on the Heaps, Been there, Done that!!!:pDT_Xtremez_17:

I fcuking hope so! I'd love to see Jeremy Simpler choke on his own patronising sh1t!:pDT_Xtremez_25:

3wheeledtechie

Sergeant
'Fraid it ain't going to go away with the introduction of the heavy line. Unfortunately neither are BAE management of the place. How many layers of fcuking middle management do they need in that place?

3wheeledtechie

Sergeant
Errrrrr wrong. BAE management structures have got nowt to do with Lean. In fact their own bloke they employed to implement it in there quit cos he doubted the company truly believe in it.

skevans

Flight Sergeant
I fecking hope so. if it fails at Marham, then you boys may just claim some posts back. Here's hoping you do.

Realist78

Master of my destiny
Errrrrr wrong. BAE management structures have got nowt to do with Lean. In fact their own bloke they employed to implement it in there quit cos he doubted the company truly believe in it.

So Lean had nothing to with creating this 'all our eggs in one basket' at Marham then? Try telling that to the guys who are posted there this summer from Lossie. Oh, and not forgetting the guys who were posted there when the TPFs shut down, as a result of LEAN!

wolfy

Warrant Officer
The problem with lean is that whilst you maybe able to push an engine or pod ete through quicker the amount of support logistically to make it happen is now more than it was before thus wiping out any savings produce by the lean line in the first place.

Grand Prix fanatic..
The problem with lean is that whilst you maybe able to push an engine or pod ete through quicker the amount of support logistically to make it happen is now more than it was before thus wiping out any savings produce by the lean line in the first place.

Spot on. I could never see how moving aeroplanes during a servicing could make it quicker to service them. Does Civvy street do this, I bet not! Maybe Rigga and Dirty Harry may confirm this?

I know that the LEAN team that went to Colt , they were listened to , but as the kites days were numbered Colt were not particulay interested in implementing it (and could see the major pitfalls that other management orgs totally failed to see).

Cottersmore however were caught hook line and sinker (just as Marham seem to be). Work that should was continuatly passed down phases as the aircraft "pulsed!" Bet that hasn't changed!::p:

B

Borat's Brother

So Lean had nothing to with creating this 'all our eggs in one basket' at Marham then? Try telling that to the guys who are posted there this summer from Lossie. Oh, and not forgetting the guys who were posted there when the TPFs shut down, as a result of LEAN!

Er, actually - no, the Forward/Depth thing had NOTHING to do with 'Lean', which came along afterwards. Check your facts! If the guys at Lossie are blaming Lean, then they're as mistaken as you are. If you understood Lean, you'd know it was to do with improving processes, not organisations. You can blame the pulse line concept on Lean, but not Forward/Depth.

M

monobrow

You're both right on that one...

OC Eng (1 wing co) became OC Forward and OC Depth (2 wing co's, same job?!?!?) when LEAN was being used as a buzzword rather than actually coming in.

So it wasn't because of lean, but perhaps a move to prepare for it?!?!?:pDT_Xtremez_35:

Realist78

Master of my destiny
Er, actually - no, the Forward/Depth thing had NOTHING to do with 'Lean', which came along afterwards. Check your facts! If the guys at Lossie are blaming Lean, then they're as mistaken as you are. If you understood Lean, you'd know it was to do with improving processes, not organisations. You can blame the pulse line concept on Lean, but not Forward/Depth.

Firstly, very patronising. Secondly, if processes (generic) have been improved, why isn't everyone singing Lean's praises?:pDT_Xtremez_09:

Grand Prix fanatic..

Turning an 80 day maint into a 100 day one is progress?

Cake or Death

Flight Sergeant
you will love this one then:

picture the scene at some vsa/lean bollox at marham:-

Officers and lean bollox: right its going to be a pulse line end of. dont argue its going to happen.
Gods People:- er how will we move the jets
O: the same way we normally do.
GP: well thats gonna be hard
O: why
GP: well when the seats/radar/canopy are out the tail tresel is in to stop the jet falling on its arse.
O: well we will put ballast in the cockpit
GP:er not really a good idea to time consuming puting it in out to move a few metres!
O: hmm ok well take the engines out from the first aircraftin the pulse line and put them in the jet at the end of the line that needs em.
GP: er dont think the sooties will be happy with that.
O:why?
GP: well they have to be taken out/put in servcieable engines that are matched to that jet electronically plus then they have to go on performances runs........ sootie chief tells people why its just plain stupid.
O: well we have to move the jets so its happening anyway.
GP: ok we will factor in about 100 manhours then to complete this could be more if things at tubes go wrong.
O:well thats not acceptable will have to be a lot less.
GP: well we could bring it down to maybe 20
O:execellant do it.
GP: well that will me throwing the pulse away and leaving the engines in th airframe.

The saga went on and on till finally we had to take the engines out all so the pulse could happen.

At a brief by some wgco: THE PULSE LINE IS A VISUAL AID TO THE MANAGEMENT TO HIGH LIGHT ANY PROBELMS.
A bod at that brief: WELL YOU COULD JUST ASK THE SNCO'S LIKE YOU HAVE FOR THE LAST 80 YEARS, SEEMED TO WORK FINE THEN!!!!

insty66

Corporal
Not sure if BAEs are going of lean etc but.............
I promise you this.. if attac/cmu etc fails to produce the goods, watch the lawyers surf the contract and then prove that it is all the fault of the RAF for:-

Not providing enough manpower (you'll hear this ad nauseum)

RAF blokes not doing enough hours (See above!)

Not enough spares (welcome to our world!!)

You'll hear GFX failure a lot!!!

And any other legalese stuff they can find!

BTW if you think things are bad now the only way they can make money under attac is by cutting costs as it is (currently) a fixed price contract for 10 years and I heard og 5-15% cuts per year:raf: .

You know the drills

B.O.H.I.C.A.

As TM would say

Crack on !!

Cake or Death

Flight Sergeant
no it was form OC depth. OC meeeasss jumped to his rescue and told us to settle down. incidently oc meas was all pro lean and helping bae, he he sold us out took redundancy and went to work for bae. cock end. oh as an after thought i know for a fact that at one point there were at least 6 jets in pulse 7. so much for the pulse stopping to high light problems, this was when bae were in charge as well!!!

Last edited:

Cake or Death

Flight Sergeant
well its all crap im in the engine bay and im trying to get back there. how bad is that. i know a fair few of the BAE lads there ( RAF redundanceies, well played raf) but its the LITS equivalent and the way BAE run it is the problem. BAE are ****e and rely on the government to get them out of the ****e.