• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

AWOL, Off to MCTC

P

paddy_03

I've been AWOL for nearly three months now and am about to go and hand myself in. I'm just wondering if anyone can tell me what to expect, i know im likely to be sent to MCTC but am unsure whether i will be dismissed from the RAF or not. I went AWOL on the day of my promotion from LAC to SAC. Any information or advice would be greatly heplful.

Thanks,

Paddy

TrickyTree

Sergeant
I wouldn't think they'd throw you out. Just go in the chokey, do your time, and put it behind you.

Of course, the question has to be asked, if you went AWOL in the first place, is Service life really for you anyway?

I know a couple of people who have done time in the glasshouse and it hasn't unduly affected their career. One made it all the way to Warrant Officer (his offence was such that he was never able to qualify for the LS&GCM, however).

P

paddy_03

I don't really know if i want to stay in or not but i do know that when i do leave i dont want it to be in a way that is going to impare any efforts to get a job when i do. thanks for your advice,

Paddy

TrickyTree

Sergeant
OK, but I just want to say that I am by no means an authority and am just expressing an opinion. I don't think they'll throw you out. I don't know.

duffman

Flight Sergeant
With people coming in at an all time high, your future doesn't look good. If you were in the the raf's position what would you do? You have someone who doesn't want to be in and plenty to take your place. It's pretty much nailed on like you say your going to MCTC. And I would say there is a high chance of you being DD straight after.

You say your not sure you want to stay in, could I ask why you went AWOL in the first place?

Dragoon

Sergeant
I didnt think MCTC was such a bad place anyway?
A lad in my place spent a few months there, he said it was just lots of drill, and other niff naff like it was in basic training, plus a load of AT and courses to do.

He came out with a sailing instructors Q and we all know the rumour that spending time in the clink makes you more promotable certainly seems true.

Warwick Hunt

Persona Non-Grata
1000+ Posts
I didnt think MCTC was such a bad place anyway?
A lad in my place spent a few months there, he said it was just lots of drill, and other niff naff like it was in basic training, plus a load of AT and courses to do.

He came out with a sailing instructors Q and we all know the rumour that spending time in the clink makes you more promotable certainly seems true.

I wouldn't go as far as to say it makes you promotable. After all, they don't send up and coming young thrusters. It certainly hits the restart button and reinforces basic military standards in dress, deportment and attitude to make the SUS a better serviceman.

Elwood

SAC
I've been AWOL for nearly three months now and am about to go and hand myself in. I'm just wondering if anyone can tell me what to expect, i know im likely to be sent to MCTC but am unsure whether i will be dismissed from the RAF or not. I went AWOL on the day of my promotion from LAC to SAC. Any information or advice would be greatly heplful.

Thanks,

Paddy

You will face a hearing, not sure of at what level, hopefully in front of the Stn Cdr rather than a court martial. He will make a decision as to your future, taking the reason you absconded into account. you may have a valid reason for taking some unofficial leave. If you just fcud off, that won't have helped.

You will need to take advice - which will be given. Take it, the 'airman's friend' (or whatever it's called now) will be on your side.

Hope it all works out!

G

GEM

I don't really know if i want to stay in or not but i do know that when i do leave i dont want it to be in a way that is going to impare any efforts to get a job when i do. thanks for your advice,

Paddy

Perhaps you should have thought about that three months ago!

If it is sympathy you are after it follows sh1t in the dictionary and comes some way before syphillis.

Still at least Colchester isn't too brutal now or so they tell me!

Last edited:

Webbo

Sergeant
I wouldn't think they'd throw you out. Just go in the chokey, do your time, and put it behind you.

Of course, the question has to be asked, if you went AWOL in the first place, is Service life really for you anyway?

I know a couple of people who have done time in the glasshouse and it hasn't unduly affected their career. One made it all the way to Warrant Officer (his offence was such that he was never able to qualify for the LS&GCM, however).

Cheque theft by any chance? :pDT_Xtremez_30:

MrMasher

Somewhere else now!
Subscriber
AWOL for three months.

I hope you have a damned good reason because you deserve to be kicked out for that.

G

grumpyoldb

No-one knows why he did it, so don't play judge and jury here. There may just be compassionate reasons.

I Look Like Kevin Costner

Grand Prix fanatic..
Go back to your station and hand yourself in. The usual Flt/Sqn/Stn Cdr route of disciplinary hearings will take place (and they will be through as you are given all the legal jargon that has been added to the Military disciplinary proceedures). You have broken the law of the land (because the armed forces act is an act of parliement), but court martials and Colchester are not always the result, especially if you had some compassionate reason (although if you had, awol wasn't the way to sort it!) However, if the police come and find you, you will pay for them! The longer you stay away, the more you will suffer in the end!!

GEM, your jurrasic park comments are typical of somebody totally removed from the RAF of today.

G

GEM

GEM, your jurrasic park comments are typical of somebody totally removed from the RAF of today.

Still valid though.

Colchester isn't scary anymore and I have no sympathy for a drop kickj that goies AWOL for 3 months.

A couple of days on the end of a leave p1ssed up and unable to find your way back to camp I can live with. A few days jankers, a round of drinks and kiss and make up with the lads who did the extra work covering for you.

3 months is borderline desertion FFS. He's lucky he isn't getting shot the cnut!

True Blue Jack

Warrant Officer
Fortunately for you, Paddy, you have the right to a fair trial and I can assure you that General Sir Anthony Cecil Hogmanay GEM Melchett will not be presiding.

Whether or not you are retained in the Service and/or sent to MCTC will depend on the balance of mitigating and aggravating factors peculiar to your case. You are the only person on this forum who presently knows what each of those factors are so it is grossly unfair for anyone else to pre-judge.

Whatever happens, I believe giving yourself up is the right next move. Think how many times you've looked fearfully over your shoulder in the past 3 months. I'm sure the prospect of doing that for the rest of your life is unpleasant, to put it mildly.

G

GEM

Fortunately for you, Paddy, you have the right to a fair trial and I can assure you that General Sir Anthony Cecil Hogmanay GEM Melchett will not be presiding.

Whether or not you are retained in the Service and/or sent to MCTC will depend on the balance of mitigating and aggravating factors peculiar to your case. You are the only person on this forum who presently knows what each of those factors are so it is grossly unfair for anyone else to pre-judge.

Whatever happens, I believe giving yourself up is the right next move. Think how many times you've looked fearfully over your shoulder in the past 3 months. I'm sure the prospect of doing that for the rest of your life is unpleasant, to put it mildly.

And serves the guilty bast@rd right!