• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

At It Again

KingGuin

Sergeant
Word reaches me in the frozen North that our beloved trade is about to be rebranded. Apparently "Personnel Administrator" is not quite sexy enough for your average joe/joanne public. So soon I will be (allegedly) a Human Resources Advisor or Manager: so overcome with joy, I fear I may have to lie down. In my short and far from illustrious Service I have been:

An Admin Clerk
Personnel and Administrative Clerk
Personnel Administrator

Any thoughts on the name change or does anyone give a t*ss?

Humble Scribe

Sergeant
Word reaches me in the frozen North that our beloved trade is about to be rebranded. Apparently "Personnel Administrator" is not quite sexy enough for your average joe/joanne public. So soon I will be (allegedly) a Human Resources Advisor or Manager: so overcome with joy, I fear I may have to lie down. In my short and far from illustrious Service I have been:

An Admin Clerk
Personnel and Administrative Clerk
Personnel Administrator

Any thoughts on the name change or does anyone give a t*ss?

Don't give a fook whatwere called KG as long as the name change comes with an increase in pay bands!!

...................Personnel Administrator it is then!

tommo9999

Higher Pay Band Shiney
Change for changes sake if you ask me. Never mind someone will get their MBE or such like no doubt.

mild mannered janitor

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts
Don't give a fook whatwere called KG as long as the name change comes with an increase in pay bands!!

...................Personnel Administrator it is then!
maybe they could stop calling me aircratft tech mechanical and just call me a sootie (same job) would that be worth a pay rise ??

Warwick Hunt

Persona Non-Grata
1000+ Posts
I remember hearing this 2-3 years ago. The word on the street was airmen who be HR Administrators, and Cpl's and above would be HR Managers. Whether this is gospel or not, I couldn't say.

fed_up_scribbly

Corporal
They were talking about this 6 years ago when I was a recruiter - nothing came of it then and nothing will come of it now. Lets face it, whether it's HR, Pers Admin or any other name you can come up with the job will never be "glamourous". People do not choose a job because it has a nice name, they choose it because of the pay, job satisfaction and future prospects; unfortunately TG17 is sorely lacking on at least 2 of these things at this moment in time.

JPABitch

LAC
At It Again

Nothing in the offing at this end. A trade name change will take at least 9 to 12 months to get through the system!! Not going to make a lot of difference to the clerk on the ground; it sounds like even more of a civilianisation of the trade. Word from my green colleagues isthat they will be changing as well. Perhaps tri-service harmonisation is nigh.:pDT_Xtremez_28:

Humble Scribe

Sergeant
Nothing in the offing at this end. A trade name change will take at least 9 to 12 months to get through the system!! Not going to make a lot of difference to the clerk on the ground; it sounds like even more of a civilianisation of the trade. Word from my green colleagues isthat they will be changing as well. Perhaps tri-service harmonisation is nigh.:pDT_Xtremez_28:

I think your user name is as good a trade name as any and how very appropriate!!:pDT_Xtremez_28:

busby1971

Super Moderator
Staff member
1000+ Posts
What's relevant today?

What's relevant today?

A names a name at the end of the day, but we aren't getting people to join our beloved and much maligned trade at the mo so expect to see some panicky measure soon.

They'll probably pick something that sounds relevant to kids today, however, once they're posted to their first PSF they'll realise life might be different.

The trade needs to take a hard look at retention and recruiting measure otherwise they'll be nobody left, but the less able.

As an aside I noticed on the Chf Clks Bulletin that Sgts are being held at 90% (might have been 95%), anybody know the reason?

tommo9999

Higher Pay Band Shiney
As an aside I noticed on the Chf Clks Bulletin that Sgts are being held at 90% (might have been 95%), anybody know the reason?

They think that by having an FMDL at Sgt rank, it might help ease the burden on the lower ranks; never heard something so stupid in all my life. FMDL is designed to be at base rank (for us SAC). If they want to keep more SACs then hold a FMDL at the next rank, don't jump a rank ffs. I've tried, and failed, to see how they arrived at this ridiculous decision.

S

Shiney Pencil

it is not just TG17 that is changing there are a lot trades gonna be re-named.

Triple SA

Thread Killer
Change of Title

Change of Title

Word from my green colleagues isthat they will be changing as well. Perhaps tri-service harmonisation is nigh.:pDT_Xtremez_28:

So what's it going to be? Clerks (Staff Personnel Support), Writers (or is it Logs Pers now) or Pers Admin? When anyone asks what I do (or temporarily at least, did) I always reply/ied that I was a clerk, despite the change in title in the early 90s.
And besides I personally don't think that the Human Resources tag adequately sums up the spread of what we do.

I'm currently on a career break, and when listing my former jobs (i.e. postings) on my CV, I change them accordingly. So:

PD Clerk - HR Assistant
JNCO PDs - HR Supervisor
PA - Executive Assistant
SNCO Admin - Coordinator / Office Manager (depends on the job applied for)

Civvy recruiters do not understand our titles, so you write in the language that they understand.

The phrase 'fiddling whilst Rome burns' springs to mind.

ReluctantClerk

One Woman Mafiosa
Subscriber
Aw Tommo you ruined it for me. There was I under the impression the 90% was due to the screw up by C** P**s' area that released far too many Sgts on redundancy! Which couldn't possibly happen, could it!!!? :pDT_Xtremez_06:

tommo9999

Higher Pay Band Shiney
Aw Tommo you ruined it for me. There was I under the impression the 90% was due to the screw up by C** P**s' area that released far too many Sgts on redundancy! Which couldn't possibly happen, could it!!!? :pDT_Xtremez_06:

No it wasn't a redundancy balls-up. It is just a different way of doing business, so different none of us can understand the bloody thing!!