• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

ANZAC Day.

Weebl

Flight Sergeant
Has my first ANZAC day in NZ today.

Dawn parade, so had to be up early, and it all kicked off at 0630. For that kind of time in the morning, the turnout was immense, it seemed like most of the town were there. Even more amazing when you realise that ANZAC day is a public holiday and so the huge majority of the people attending were having a day off and had foregone a free lie in to get up, get ready, and attend (lots of families complete with little kids too)

Loads of uniforms in attendance too, again, free day off but the expectation is that those in Uniform will attend one service or another and Parade, and it looks like most do.

Very good service, timings were impeccable (Last Post was finished just as the clock tower struck 7), and the turn out would put a lot of big towns in the UK on Remembrance Sunday to shame. Binyon's 'For The Fallen' was read out with a rather odd cadence (but that may just have been the bloke reading it at the service I attended) and the Huey Flypast was not at Dawn, but that was because there are no longer enough Hueys to do a Dawn flypast at every service that requests one so some have to lump a flypast in the middle.

All in all, a very good service. I did look a bit of a tw@t in a suit though, casual Kiwi dress rules extend everywhere and Jandals and shorts seemed to be the dress of the day :)

Digzster

Sergeant
Just received an email with pics from my b-i-l in Oz. He and his family were also up at the crack of sparrows in Queensland along with a big percentage of his town for their parade.

Nice to see that the fallen are still honoured by the younger generation.

Entropy

Sergeant
I was in Perth a couple of years ago when it was Anzac Day. They lay on early trains and busses to get everyone to the ceremonies plus offering free public transport all day to any with a veterans ID card or in uniform.
As I said at the time you wouldn't get that type of support from the govt. in this country.

All the documentaries about the Anzacs point out that the sacrifice given in the wars generated the feeling of Oz as a separate nation, so you can see why its well supported.

Gonterseed

Flight Sergeant
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Quite agree. Remembering them all is the very least we can do. I was proud to take part in remembrance day parades resplendent in my No 1's and now as a CI with the local Air Cadets, I take a pride in turning out with them.

I am currently on Longlook in Brisbane, attending ANZAC day in uniform as part of the parade. As one who always attended Remembrance Sunday, the difference in support from the public is phenomenal. All brought about the attitude of the government I can only assume. A fantastic experience, and one I am certainly glad a did. Bloody long day though.

Digzster

Sergeant
I am currently on Longlook in Brisbane, attending ANZAC day in uniform as part of the parade. As one who always attended Remembrance Sunday, the difference in support from the public is phenomenal. All brought about the attitude of the government I can only assume. A fantastic experience, and one I am certainly glad a did. Bloody long day though.

Hope that you had a few XXXX from Castlemaine Brewery afterwards. I know that I did at Amberly.