• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Any reccomended reading for applicants?

Bombadil

LAC
Good day, I've been lurking for a bit trying to see if this is already out there and a few google searches led me nowhere. Is there any reccomended reading lists or books for RAF history or about the organisation as a whole? I've been going over the wikipedia articles and whats on the RAF website, but it feels a bit bare bones for when I'd be being interviewed at the AFCO. Thankyou for your time, Bombadil

ninjarabbi

Warrant Officer
Although I can't give you any advice on books to read prior to an interview, if you make it through to initial training; 'Lord of the Flies' by William Golding should give you some tips :pDT_Xtremez_28:

vim_fuego

Hung Like a Baboon.
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
I would say that the level of service knowledge an applicant can have is only to the level of what's available on the RAF webpage. Open source and keep it simple. If you know what trade or branch you are going for then concentrate a bit more on finding out where they are and what they are up to if you can.

Have a reasonable grip of current affairs as well...Nothing to a Paxman level but just know what's roughly going on in the world. If you're going for a commission then go deeper into it.

Witty_Banter

Flight Sergeant
There's no 'reading list' of useful books that will get you into the RAF - it's better to know about our current aircraft, mission types and locations, all of which you will be able to find online / RAF website.

If you really want a 'reading list', CAS (Chief of the Air Staff) produces a reading list every year - his 'recommendations' of what people should be reading. To be honest, most of his recommendations are utter crap. You'd be far better off reading books that give you a background knowledge and understanding of fields within your chosen trade. Start small and work your way up, if need be.

Personally, I'd recommend 'A Brief History of Time' by Steven Hawking. Bloody good book if you can bend your mind around it.

Bombadil

LAC
Much appreciated, ended up bingewatching the RAF Brize Norton series and going over the open data. Working on memorising the names/profiles/purpose of the current air fleet as for ICT as best as I can tell is that it uses ancient Microsoft OS and Cisco routers and.... not much else.