• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Any photog experts please

Ex-Bay

SNAFU master
Subscriber
I have, at last, risen to the dizzy heights of managing to own a Canon EOS40D camera. It's big and quite heavy, but works very well.
There's a socket on the side for a flash thingy, called the 'PC terminal'.
What are the limitations for this thing?
I've read of contacts being burned out due to the voltage on the flash gun being several hundred volts and I'd rather not crisp it trying to drive my 1980s flash guns.

Can anyone give me a clue please ?

PS. No, ~I cannot afford an expensive 'Speedlight' or whatever.

TACAN

Corporal
Hi.

I wouldn't class myself an expert but have been snapping semi professionally for over 30 years.

The 40D is a very capable camera but the built in flash is a little limited - about 15 feet (@ISO 100) range.

Most serious owners use an off-the-camera flash using the PC (Prontor/Compur) coax connector
which you have already discovered.

PLEASE don't even be tempted to try using your older flashguns. The EOS flash trigger voltage
is much, much lower than the old Vivitars et al and you will almost certainly fry a good number of components
- which would be a great pity as this old warhorse is a very capable performer.

So, either checkout eBay or whatever and if you find the on-camera flash is not up to it, consider
purchasing one of the newer, cheaper non-Canon alternatives. There are plenty around.

Hope that helps...... TAC

TACAN

Corporal
Sorry, was meant to attach this..... I use Vivitar 283's with my film cameras - but I'm sure this is applicable to all
'older' flashguns.......

The Vivitar 283 electronic flash is the workhorse of people who don't use TTL or automatic lighting.

This old model has one disadvantage: a high trigger voltage, more than 260 volts, some samples over 280. Such a high voltage is deadly for digital cameras that conform to ISO 10330 standard and withstand 24V. Let alone Canon cameras that ignore standards and don't accept more than 6V!

Ex-Bay

SNAFU master
Subscriber
Thank you.
I measured the voltages on a couple of my flash guns (I went mad on e-bay at one time).
The Jessops thing (mimicing the Canon Speedlight), was about 3 or 4 volts.
The old "Starblitz 2000" featured a terminal voltage of about 280v.

Is there some form of interface available ?

TACAN

Corporal
Is there some form of interface available ?

If you are handy with a soldering iron, there are loads of DIY voltage transformers
with circuit diags on the hobbyist type websites. A bit clunky and will need some sort
of box to house the circuit board etc.... but really quite cheap.

OR

There is a gizmo called a Wein Safe Sync - which is basically an off the shelf version
of the above. Simple to use, but I don't have availability or price to hand.

OR

You could consider using a Wireless Flash Slave unit ? You plug your main flash into the
slave which then uses the flash on the camera to trigger it.. As you are now using a digital
camera you can play around with flash positions/strengths until you get the desired result ?
Not ideal, but a possible workaround if you really want to use the Starblitz....

Just a few thoughts, but FWIW I would still save up and look on somewhere like eBay and get
something of a quality that befits your camera.

I still have my aged Vivitar 283's which are wonderful units, but only use them on film cameras as
I won't risk damaging the Digi bodies..

Good Luck !

TAC

Ex-Bay

SNAFU master
Subscriber
Many thanks for the suggestions. :pDT_Xtremez_28:

I think Ill opt for the "wireless" gizmo thingy.
Look Out, E-Bay, here we come. . . .

:cheerful: