• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Any idea how long until the RAF Reserves respond to your initial application?

37isntOld

LAC
Just asking as I applied on the 29th April 2013, it's now the 15th May and I've not heard a thing. I rang and they said they're busy at the moment so it is taking longer ... but can anyone tell me if this long a delay is normal or have I been unsuccessful and just waiting for nothing? Any help appreciated ... cheers.

37isntOld

LAC
Squadron 611 (West Lancashire)

Squadron 611 (West Lancashire)

Hoping to join 611 - I misquoted the date to - it's actually been 3 weeks since I applied.

Stevienics

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
You might need to be a little patient as there is a lot of internal work being undertaken in the greater Reserves organisation at present, absorbing a lot of administrative manhours.

37isntOld

LAC

Appreciate the feedback - just chomping at the bit. No doubt like every other applicant has and always will. Cheers :)

37isntOld

LAC
Friend applying for Flt ops assistant applied in JANUARY still not heard anything, gone for T.A now.

Thanks for the comment ... this gave me the incentive to call up and ask to speak to the squadron themselves. They will be conducting interviews etc at the end of July. As mentioned earlier by Stevienics (thanks) they're really busy at the moment so I just need to be patient and wait my turn I guess!

Hope this info is useful to other 'wannabes' like me.

Barch

Grim Reaper 2016
1000+ Posts
Thanks for the comment ... this gave me the incentive to call up and ask to speak to the squadron themselves. They will be conducting interviews etc at the end of July. As mentioned earlier by Stevienics (thanks) they're really busy at the moment so I just need to be patient and wait my turn I guess!

Hope this info is useful to other 'wannabes' like me.

Any organisation that uses 'too busy' to respond to enquiries is not being managed properly.

It only takes a couple of minutes to respond to enquiries even if they only acknowledge the enquiry.

Stevienics

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
I fear you are right in principle but in practice those that are employed to recruit are not doing that task right now because of other pressures, and in addition to that there is no "central clearing house" for applicants, per se. It is undertaken at a local level.

Suffice it to say that the strategy paper that was FR20 and up until very recently was merely conceptual and aspirational, has now been made formal, with little consideration to the impact or resources required - which are seemingly rather a lot.

Entropy

Sergeant
611 Sqn is one of the newly formed Sqns under FR20. So my assumption, from what has been said, is that they are not taking on recruits at the moment but just lining people up ready for the mass recruitment of a whole Sqn of personel in the summer.

Barch

Grim Reaper 2016
1000+ Posts
611 Sqn is one of the newly formed Sqns under FR20. So my assumption, from what has been said, is that they are not taking on recruits at the moment but just lining people up ready for the mass recruitment of a whole Sqn of personel in the summer.

That is not an excuse for not communicating !!

Barch

Grim Reaper 2016
1000+ Posts
Yep, even a holding email costs nothing.

True and an auto response similar to 'Out of Office' messages takes only a couple of minutes to set up and removes all the mandraulic reqirements of someone manning the email account full time.

Mag2grid

Corporal
Won't go through the woeful tale of my friends experience with 600 Sqn, you can read it on the other thread.

as has been said it costs nothing to return a call and say " sorry buddy, I'm up to my neck in other stuff, we'll hopefully be recruiting/info day/ on such and such" or and email.

when I left the mob toyed with the idea of going reseve, approached 4 sqns, 4624 sqn has and outstanding recruitment sgt, he literally moved heaven and earth to try help me. 606 were great as well, despite loosing their recruiting cpl some time ago they are still getting people through. The final two sqns were just pump.

Stevienics

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
4624 sqn has and outstanding recruitment sgt, he literally moved heaven and earth to try help me.

She will be feeling somewhat bittersweet regarding that compliment I feel.

But she is, very very good.

37isntOld

LAC
Update ... after my last call. I rang again to ask when the open day will be (yes I can be a tad pushy) and the lady who answered at the squadron I have to say was extremely helpful. In fact she offered to go through the checklist/ application they do on the open day over the phone to help me to the next step (the AST's in case you've forgotten?) which she's now booked me in for next month! :) Whoo Hoo. I can't comment on the management processes over there but I can say that the lady I spoke to was brilliant. Extremely helpful and understanding about my impatience to move this along. All I can say is 10/10 for effort on her part. Just hope I can get through these aptitude tests now? I got 42 out of 46 on the online mock - so hopefully all's good.