• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Another one goes to the graveyard

ady eflog

Harrier Mafia
1000+ Posts
The final jump into light speed, still the holder of the New York to London record for fastest subsonic crossing and currently the fastest airliner in the sky! not bad for something penned in the 40's!

justintime129

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
I remember as a Scaley brat living in Carterton in 1966 and going to bribe norton and watching the vc10s and belfasts take off and land. We lived next to a loadmaster on the 10s and he would always bring me back souvenirs from his travels. Still got souvenirs from expo 67 held in Montreal.

Fast forward to the early 80s and the same aircraft would be landing at Belize on a Tuesday afternoon, with butcher radar marking the landings out if 10 and the pilots getting quite cross if they scored low when they thought they'd done a good landing.

Lovely looking aircraft.

Could never get used to flying backwards though - threw my stomach into a right wobbler. But alas another one bites the dust, and travelled a fair few miles in the old girl.

Rocket_Ronster

You ain`t seen me.
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
The final jump into light speed, still the holder of the New York to London record for noisiest subsonic crossing and currently the noisiest airliner in the sky! not bad for something penned in the 40's!

Fixed that for you.

sulky

SAC
so it only flew past once, best i could get

last flyby of a VC10 at RAF Coningsby on 20/9/13

[video]http://s8.photobucket.com/user/canaryworf/media/20130920_125641_zps5a6f29a4.mp4.html?sort=3&o=0[/video]

Last edited:

Stevienics

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
Still pretty enought to make every other airliner look like a 50 year old welsh slapper

justintime129

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
Anybody remember the RAF buying up every VC10 going in the 80s from east African airlines and gulf air. Didn't they from 101 and the rest were used as spares. Werent they kept at Kemble? Might be wrong

What about this. If had gotten off the drawing board another V bomber

VC10 proffer designed to carry the skybolt

http://www.bisbos.com/air_canc_vc10.html

The one in the camouflage

Last edited:

Malesu

Corporal
Subscriber
There was also 10 Sqn :) , which had the mk C1k's (Pax & freight and other stuff) . Where as 101 Sqn :-( had all the K's (Tanker variant)

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 4

ady eflog

Harrier Mafia
1000+ Posts
Anybody remember the RAF buying up every VC10 going in the 80s from east African airlines and gulf air. Didn't they from 101 and the rest were used as spares. Werent they kept at Kemble? Might be wrong

What about this. If had gotten off the drawing board another V bomber

VC10 proffer designed to carry the skybolt

http://www.bisbos.com/air_canc_vc10.html

The one in the camouflage

These two last ones are from that bunch of jets, they were flown one flight only from Abingdon to filton by a crazy French barsteward for £100000 each.

techie_tubby

Warrant Officer
First ever experience of a combat landing was in one if those. Most terrifying thing I've ever done. Such a vital part of the RAF history but will never be forgotten.

jrc376

LAC
Worked on VC10s on LSS at Brize then at twin peaks at Saints lots of tales to tell and some pigs of jobs i.e brake control valve and undercarriage beam removal ( took 2 weeks just to get rear pin out!!! ) any more ex riggers out there!! CHIN

MingMong

Warrant Officer
I was 13 years on VC10s, 3 years in Base Hangar doing Minor servicing and 10 years on 10 Sqn. They were the best years of my RAF career. It's sad to see their time come to an end.

litterman

SAC
In my time i must have flown thousands of miles on VC10 both civel and RAF .They were one of the best most reliable aircraft that i can think of

Keyser Söze

Corporal
In my time i must have flown thousands of miles on VC10 both civel and RAF .They were one of the best most reliable aircraft that i can think of

'reliable' is not a word normally uttered in the same sentence as this ageing old girl, unless you're talking several decades ago :)

justintime129

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
Went to Belize in 79 flew from Brize on Tuesday arrived in Belize on the Saturday. Broke down in Dulles. The movers said it would only be an over night stop so just take a change of clothing. 4 days later still in the same clothes. The blokes from the embassy came to the hotel everyday to give us money and we were issued with vouchers for food in the hotel . Managed to do the touristy thing, FBI building the White House Capitol Hill smithsonian etc courtesy of the RAF

Malesu

Corporal
Subscriber
One of my first flights was a return to Cyprus, after a wedding in the UK. Nothing really unusual... But sat next to Terry Waite as he was flying out to the Middle East... At one stage whilst flying over Greek Islands, topic off conversation was "If you crash landed on a deserted island, how would you survive?". I was only 12 at the time, and the rest is history.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 4