• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Another medical thread....

bezz01

LAC
Hi all,
I had my medical yesterday which was booked with CAPITA and, after reading past threads on forums, have began to realise my current situation. I was told that my hearing wasn't up to scratch for my chosen trade which is Flight Opps Assistant but I do feel that the results are unfair being an actual technical test. I feel it should be done a few times as I was feeling rather nervous and anxious at the time and have never done a hearing test before. I have just had my ears checked by my local GP and they believe that my hearing is absolutely fine. I am now playing the waiting game yet again. I just hope that I can do a retest and that this isn't the end of my application.

Warwick Hunt

Persona Non-Grata
1000+ Posts
Hi all,
I had my medical yesterday which was booked with CAPITA and, after reading past threads on forums, have began to realise my current situation. I was told that my hearing wasn't up to scratch for my chosen trade which is Flight Opps Assistant but I do feel that the results are unfair being an actual technical test. I feel it should be done a few times as I was feeling rather nervous and anxious at the time and have never done a hearing test before. I have just had my ears checked by my local GP and they believe that my hearing is absolutely fine. I am now playing the waiting game yet again. I just hope that I can do a retest and that this isn't the end of my application.

The fact that YOU feel it was unfair is neither here nor there (pardon the pun). What is it you're after, for them to keep doing the test until you get the result you want? What do you think should happen if you keep failing the hearing test? Of course it is an "actual technical test" - the RAF have neither the time, money or inclination to keep carrying out medicals on candidates. You are either medically fit or you're not - no amount of hearing tests are going to change that. The medical standards required for service are a lot higher than the accepted standards in civvy street. Sure, your GP may say that your hearing's "absolutely fine" but, by the sound of it, it isn't up to the required standard for the trade of FOA. Have a think about joining in another trade, if you're serious about joining the RAF. If you are dead set about being a FOA, then by all means try for a re-test after some treatment but, TBH, you are urinating into the wind.

Good luck.

Last edited:
I had 4 tests for FOA. Results:
Borderline. Pass 100% ~ this was questioned by RAF. Fail!
This was with Capita. RAF tested me with their medic: Pass.
Don't give up. I offered to pay for 4th test. One of Top medics in RAF rang me! Would have none of it. Guess what Capita have been recognised for generating revenue by messing with our Nations finest volunteers. Don't let them beat you.