• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

ALM - should i?

D

Delta Bravo

Right,

Good evening peoples, as i sit ready to cut away to afghan i am currently considering applying for WSOp on my return in June.

Why after 10 years, who knows, but before i'm too old i have to give it a go...

My question is as such:

With the selection process being what it is, is it likely that i will get crewman, as im pretty blinkerd in what i want to do and rotary is the only job i want. Obviously there are loads of nimrod AA's knocking about at the mo, so my hope is that most of shiny fleet and other fixed wings are inundated with bodies.

Also, when would be the best time to put my papers in?

Any LM's, AFCO Goaters, advise would be appreciated

Ta

RAF Bird

Stacker *********
Right,

Good evening peoples, as i sit ready to cut away to afghan i am currently considering applying for WSOp on my return in June.

Why after 10 years, who knows, but before i'm too old i have to give it a go...

My question is as such:

With the selection process being what it is, is it likely that i will get crewman, as im pretty blinkerd in what i want to do and rotary is the only job i want. Obviously there are loads of nimrod AA's knocking about at the mo, so my hope is that most of shiny fleet and other fixed wings are inundated with bodies.

Also, when would be the best time to put my papers in?

Any LM's, AFCO Goaters, advise would be appreciated

Ta

You might want to revise before you ask... no such trade as ALM.

D

Delta Bravo

Cheers for the constructive feedback, clearly its WSOp as stated in the txt.

mild mannered janitor

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts
You might want to revise before you ask... no such trade as ALM.

you might want to revise !! im sure all the ALM's on hercs,tristars,VC10's,merlins,pumas,chinooks's and SAR will be sad to hear they no longer have a trade !!
the current system takes on WSOP but streams down to loadie be it fixed or rotary wing.

RAF Bird

Stacker *********
you might want to revise !! im sure all the ALM's on hercs,tristars,VC10's,merlins,pumas,chinooks's and SAR will be sad to hear they no longer have a trade !!
the current system takes on WSOP but streams down to loadie be it fixed or rotary wing.

There is NO such trade as ALM. They join as WSOp then they are streamed either WSOp(A) and WSOp(C) RW or WSOp(C) FW. There is also WSOp(L) however you are streamed that before you even go to Cranwell to start course.

Warwick Hunt

Persona Non-Grata
1000+ Posts
The vast majority of people coming through the 55 Sqn system now are being streamed into rotary, with FW being halted for a while and no sensor courses for the foreseeable future. However, that could change at any time - not likely to for a while but you never know. At this stage, whilst rotary is an aspiration for you, don't get too bogged down with being one. At OASC, they will ask you about ALL aspects of the WSOp branch, not just the area you are looking at, so you need to research FW, Aco and EW as well.

Snagsy

LAC
There is NO such trade as ALM. They join as WSOp then they are streamed either WSOp(A) and WSOp(C) RW or WSOp(C) FW. There is also WSOp(L) however you are streamed that before you even go to Cranwell to start course.

Yes there is. It just that you can't apply for it any more.

Thats like saying there are no JTs in the RAF because you can't obtain the rank anymore.

Anyway....

I would find out if they are actually taking aircrew on at the moment. With the amount of aircrew doing feck all at Kinloss at the moment, there will be a few that will retrade to loadies from AEOp, hence not as much of a requirement for the "new" WSOps. Its a shame you are just thinking about it now as in 2009 there was a BIG intake for WSOps, and they even had a fast-track recruitment scheme. From Initial interest to NCAITC in 2 months, yes that quick for some.

I can say its deffo worth doing, but OASC is not the only hurdle. Its just the first. As for age, all I know is that i know someone who was 34 and got accepted for training. Give me a PM if you have any q's

RAF Bird

Stacker *********
Yes there is. It just that you can't apply for it any more.

Thats like saying there are no JTs in the RAF because you can't obtain the rank anymore.

Anyway....

I would find out if they are actually taking aircrew on at the moment. With the amount of aircrew doing feck all at Kinloss at the moment, there will be a few that will retrade to loadies from AEOp, hence not as much of a requirement for the "new" WSOps. Its a shame you are just thinking about it now as in 2009 there was a BIG intake for WSOps, and they even had a fast-track recruitment scheme. From Initial interest to NCAITC in 2 months, yes that quick for some.

I can say its deffo worth doing, but OASC is not the only hurdle. Its just the first. As for age, all I know is that i know someone who was 34 and got accepted for training. Give me a PM if you have any q's

No there isn't. JT is a rank ALM was the trade name which changed to WSOp(C)RW and ALM is no longer. So it isn't like saying that at all.

The age, was, a couple of years ago raised (from 28 I think) to definately 34. You can also now apply to Cranwell as many times as you like, which has changed from only 2 as it was few years ago.

Snagsy

LAC
No there isn't. JT is a rank ALM was the trade name which changed to WSOp(C)RW and ALM is no longer. So it isn't like saying that at all.

The age, was, a couple of years ago raised (from 28 I think) to definately 34. You can also now apply to Cranwell as many times as you like, which has changed from only 2 as it was few years ago.

Im quite aware that JT is a rank as opposed to a trade, it was used for comparison purposes

:sigh:

Last edited:

RAF Bird

Stacker *********
Im quite aware that JT is a rank as opposed to a trade, it was used for comparison purposes

:sigh:

Off TopicOff TopicOff Topic How can you compare a rank to a trade? What are you sighing for? Is it easier than admitting you were wrong? In fact dont bother answering me as I'm sure you'll think you know a whole lot more about it then me. I'll give ** ****** on the recruiting team at Cranners a ring and let him know he was wrong with the information he gave me cos you said so and sighed! :pDT_Xtremez_32:

Realist78

Master of my destiny
Off TopicOff TopicOff Topic How can you compare a rank to a trade? What are you sighing for? Is it easier than admitting you were wrong? In fact dont bother answering me as I'm sure you'll think you know a whole lot more about it then me. I'll give ** ****** on the recruiting team at Cranners a ring and let him know he was wrong with the information he gave me cos you said so and sighed! :pDT_Xtremez_32:

Off TopicI bet you're more than sighing with all that kit on!:pDT_Xtremez_34:

FOGHORN LEGHORN

Sergeant

Would that be the same source who told you they were still recruiting linguists?

:pDT_Xtremez_42:

RAF Bird

Stacker *********
Would that be the same source who told you they were still recruiting linguists?

:pDT_Xtremez_42:

Where did I say we were recruiting Linguists? I simply said the name of the trade which at the minute there are still linguists in the RAF. AFAIK (but I could be wrong) they're not recruiting WSOp at all which is the reason why I haven't sat for ages typing out a lengthy reply to the OP's question.

FOGHORN LEGHORN

Sergeant
There is also WSOp(L) however you are streamed that before you even go to Cranwell to start course.

This was what I meant. It is worded as though they are still recruiting/training linguists, which they aren't. The linguist courses stopped tail end of 2009 and are not required for the future as it stands. That is what we were briefed on course, but then as we all know things could change.

RAF Bird

Stacker *********
This was what I meant. It is worded as though they are still recruiting/training linguists, which they aren't. The linguist courses stopped tail end of 2009 and are not required for the future as it stands. That is what we were briefed on course, but then as we all know things could change.

Sorry should have worded that better.

FOGHORN LEGHORN

Sergeant
No worries.

Back on topic though, to the OP, I would say go for it if there is the slightest chance you will regret it if you don't. One things certain, you cannot turn back time. Also if you do apply keep an open mind and prepare fully. The amount of people I met during my time at Cranwell who changed their mind (me included) is considerable.

When you get streamed what you want doesn't always count for much. Service requirement is the dominant factor, especially in the current climate. If I can help in any way with your preparation then pm me, failing that use the search button as there is plenty of info on here.

:pDT_Xtremez_30:

D

Delta Bravo

Cheers for the info,

Some of it anyway, the pedantic stuff i'll leave but it mad me chuckle,:pDT_Xtremez_30:

vim_fuego

Hung Like a Baboon.
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Cheers for the info,

Some of it anyway, the pedantic stuff i'll leave but it mad me chuckle,:pDT_Xtremez_30:

I'm sure in real life you're perfect in every way but you might want to work on your spelling and appropriate use of capital letters...we're really really finnicky about attention to detail.

Sorry I couldn't resist!