• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Airman denied cancer drug

Just seen in today's Express the story of Cpl Nick Lock who has been denied the drugs that will prolong his life. Its the usual shameful story of the NHS postcode lottery, made more disgraceful by the fact that he is not some dole-scrounging chav layabout barsteward but one of our own. No link to the story I'm afraid as I am a bit of a Ludite when it comes to computery stuff.

M

mcdoodle

typical! as you say its the postcode lottery!
did the report say how much the drug would cost?

FOMz

Warrant Officer
I'm totally disgusted by this. Whats the official RAF take on it? Deafened by silence I think.

shiny_arse

SAS Inspector
As much as it pains me to point out the fact that yet again the NHS decide again regardless of their fancy beating about the bush that they won't spend the money, my primary concern is that he is a serviceman. Why on earth is the MOD/RAF/RAFBF not getting involved to do something about it.

Ah well nevermind, lets go throw some more money at Typhoon, we may actually start using the damn thing for duties other than airshows!

Tashy_Man

Tashied Goatee
I'm totally disgusted by this. Whats the official RAF take on it? Deafened by silence I think.

Thats what i was thinking......If he is still a serving member then prescriptions are FREE so in effect the RAF should pay for his treatment (or his local health servce and claim the money back)

Any medics care to comment on how this works ?

Get Tae

Flight Sergeant
WTF!
This has made me feel totally ****ing sick. Best this gets sorted, anyone know how to start one of those petition thingys that go to 10 Downing Street?

Why isnt this guys SMO and funking Staishy doing something about this FFS!!!:pDT_Xtremez_25:

M

Mrs_Monobrow

Petition created. Waiting approval.

This is what it reads. I hope it gets approved.

We the undersigned petition the Prime Minister to Stop the
postcode lottery of life saving drugs

It has recently been in the news that an RAF airman has been
denied cancer drugs that could save his life. This drug is his
last chance at survival as he is immune to others. He has
already beaten cancer once but his local health trust is
denying him the chance to survive it this time round. You cant
play with peoples lives this way.

Tashy_Man

Tashied Goatee
Petition created. Waiting approval.

This is what it reads. I hope it gets approved.

We the undersigned petition the Prime Minister to Stop the
postcode lottery of life saving drugs

It has recently been in the news that an RAF airman has been
denied cancer drugs that could save his life. This drug is his
last chance at survival as he is immune to others. He has
already beaten cancer once but his local health trust is
denying him the chance to survive it this time round. You cant
play with peoples lives this way.

Nice one Mrs M......I'll sign once it's up !!

Crack on..............:pDT_Xtremez_09:

Soon To Leave

Proud To Serve
Thats what i was thinking......If he is still a serving member then prescriptions are FREE so in effect the RAF should pay for his treatment (or his local health servce and claim the money back)

Any medics care to comment on how this works ?

The problem isn't paying the prescription as he (or the RAF) would be able to pay an annual fee for prescriptions of less than £200, and as previously said, if in Wales he would receive it free.

The problem is, as said before, the postcode lottery in that some health authorities will provide these drugs and others won't depending on their budget and opinion on the drugs performance at differing stages of a disease's development etc.

Personally, I think that if there is even the slimmest chance that it can cure, prolong, or enhance the life of Cpl Lock then these drugs should be provided and if necessary, the RAF should pay the cost as I feel they are ultimately responsible.

One of the reasons I joined the RAF was the quality of health care I was promised at the time. Since moving to the NHS we've never had it so bad.

wolfy

Warrant Officer
Forces personnel should be exempt the postcode lottery because of the nature of thier job. If we had a more substantially funded medical service within the MoD (this is not a dig at the medical trade) this would not happen. As has been pointed out on threads of a similar nature we do not look after our servicemen like other countrys. Although it pains me to say it we should take a leaf out of the yanks book.

C

crabmabb

Forces personnel should be exempt the postcode lottery because of the nature of thier job. If we had a more substantially funded medical service within the MoD (this is not a dig at the medical trade) this would not happen. As has been pointed out on threads of a similar nature we do not look after our servicemen like other countrys. Although it pains me to say it we should take a leaf out of the yanks book.

Don't think you will get any complaints from anybody involved for saying that, we are understaffed, underfunded and overstretched. Its all the more frustrating for us to be involved in the shambles its turning out to be.

It mentions in the story that his sqn have started a fund for him to get treatment privately, does anybody know any details on this? There is already interest on arrse about donating and sure there would be on here!

Soon To Leave

Proud To Serve
I agree - the med trade do an excellent job but once diagnosed you are at the mercy of the NHS. Why couldn't we have had Bupa cover. Considering the size of the RAF now don't you think it is even more important that we are kept in good health.

C

crabmabb

I agree - the med trade do an excellent job but once diagnosed you are at the mercy of the NHS. Why couldn't we have had Bupa cover. Considering the size of the RAF now don't you think it is even more important that we are kept in good health.

Couldn't agree more, not just for RAF though, tri service as its the army bearing the brunt of the injuries at the minute. Our trade is, on the whole, disillusioned with the current issues and the more stories like this come out, the more it just lowers morale. Can't speak for all med staff but the network i work within are sick of it.

Last edited:
I know I saw it too. Absolutely disgusting. Here we go again with the "Abandoned Soldiers"!

Makes me so mad that the government are all willing to take you on into their armed forces and send you here there and everywhere, making you risk life and limb for queen and country, but the minute you want their help for something they just dont want to know and fob you off.

Imagine if this happened to a member of staff working for Tescos or something, there'd be lawsuits flying all over the place if they were NEGLECTED i.e from a work related injury and then given the boot!

It mentions in the story that his sqn have started a fund for him to get treatment privately, does anybody know any details on this? There is already interest on arrse about donating and sure there would be on here!

Thats nice at least they're looking out for him compared to what the top brass should be doing!

mad_collie

The Other Mods Made Me Do It
Surely the RAF could 'post' him to Saints/Valley?

It's a paperwork exercise. I have just had a bloke 'posted in' to my section. I'll never see him, but he's got a newly created overborne slot.

Why can't they do the same for this poor guy?

wolfy

Warrant Officer

Its great that they are doing this and If we get more info i will donate as I'm sure many others on the goat will, However this should be taken care of by the government. It sickens me that so much medical support relies on volunteers and charity like medical equipment, emergancy helicopters etc.