• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Accidental Shootings

vim_fuego

Hung Like a Baboon.
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Seems to be quite a lot going on...

At least eight members of the armed forces were accidentally shot and injured in the past year, the Ministry of Defence has admitted.

The Royal Navy Assault ship HMS Bulwark and at the Army field training centre at Sennybridge in Powys, mid Wales, witnessed two injuries as a result of “accidental firearms discharges”.

There were further incidents at the Commando base in Lympstone, Devon, Bassingbourn Barracks in Cambridgeshire, Camp Bastion in Afghanistan and at the British Army Training Unit Suffield, in Alberta, Canada.

Anyone care to fess up to an ND?

Are we training people to hard or aiming for a little too realism?

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/eight-british-troops-shot-by-5334648?

Teh Wal

Flight Sergeant
Let's face it, we expect our troops to be the best and to acheive that they have to train hard in dangerous environments. I'm sure that risk management is undertaken extremely seriously in training areas but given some of the stuff they have to do I'd have thought only 8 incidents a year is relatively acceptable... it's hardly on the scale of Exercise Tiger.

FOMz

Warrant Officer
I witnessed a Lynx pilot have an ND in Iraq..... All covered up. The Sgt Rock that was with me at the time went mental when he heared.His protests were ignored...

iainrm

Corporal
Phantoms 1 Jaguars 0

Phantoms 1 Jaguars 0

Mid 80's, pilot got retrained.
Jag pilot got a award for waiting until the winder hit!!

Dragoon

Sergeant
Of the few joys of working in a Comcen, reading such reports was a highlight. (Assuming of course they weren't too serious)

I recall reading of at least two RAFP shooting themselves with holstered pistols in some AFG location, as well as the very unlucky story of a Pongo giving instruction on how to load a GPMG only for him to ND a live round in the process which then hit a poor sod in the back of the leg some distance away sat in a welfare tent.

An exercise in Sennybridge saw a tired airman ND a blank round when his barrel was mere inches from a sleeping FS. As there were no Rocks around the OC took the lad outside, admonished him then came in and addressed the group with "This didn't happen, alright?"

I'd say they were fairly common at all times, its just when a paper picks up on a few and makes a story out of it that it suddenly becomes a seemingly big issue.

Mustang

Corporal
Mid 80's, pilot got retrained.
Jag pilot got a award for waiting until the winder hit!!
If the incident you're referring to is the one I have in mind then the F4 pilot tried to warn the Jag pilot on guard, but he wasn't listening on guard, so the first thing he knew about it was when he heard a loud bang and his Jag fell apart at the seams. The crash site consisted of two black smoking holes in the ground.

Talk Wrench

E-Goat addict
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
I know of an ND from a Tonka. At the arming pan. At the secret area 52.

spike7451

Flight Sergeant
Snowdrops on the SSA site at Bruggen had a couple when I was there,we had to test & gauge the pistol's serviceability for the BOA to see if they were serviceable,which they were.

vim_fuego

Hung Like a Baboon.
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
I once shot a WRAF in the face at STM...It was thoroughly intentional though and no administrative action followed...

Warwick Hunt

Persona Non-Grata
1000+ Posts
I once shot a WRAF in the face at STM...It was thoroughly intentional though and no administrative action followed...

Yeah, but what happens in your room in the block after the Thursday Bop has little to do with this thread mate.......;-)