• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

A400m roll out (finally)

R

Rich_P

So how many years can we say before we get it? If it's anything like the Typhoon, place about 12 years, maybe a bit more, ontop of the maiden flight date for when the first deliveries begin. :pDT_Xtremez_09:

G

goatblower

UK delivery in 1st quarter 2011. Even if another 6 month delay announced, the Aircraft will still have been delivered quicker than any previous project. Metal only started to be cut in 2003. I wonder if the fabled MR4A will ever show its face?:pDT_Xtremez_28:

Attachments

• Imagen095.jpg
    Imagen095.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Realist78

Master of my destiny
So how many years can we say before we get it? If it's anything like the Typhoon, place about 12 years, maybe a bit more, ontop of the maiden flight date for when the first deliveries begin. :pDT_Xtremez_09:

Longer than that, Typhoon was supposed to be in Squadron service in 1995!

Parky

Corporal
I have one little worry about carbon fiber wings, It may be unfounded but bear with me.

A friend of mine wanted to buy a Carbon fiber Mountain bike but was told along the way that if it had a chip from a stone whilst downhilling this could compromise the whole structure.

What would happen in a bird strike?

big_dawg

LAC
From what my airbus mates have hold me the one of the biggest problems has been sorting out how a lightning strike would dissipate across the carbon fibre structures of the aircraft.

Ill ask them next time we are having a pint about the birdstrike issue, as id be intrested to know myself

G

goatblower

The L/E's are metallic and double skinned, so plenty of protection for the Leading edge spars which are also CFRP. The lightning strike protection is given by a bronze mesh that is laid over the CFRP but under the paint. This is a civil requirement IAW CS 25, so they have to do it. If you get damage to the bronze mesh, the simplest repair is to stick speed tape over it.

Last edited:

Ex-Bay

SNAFU master
Subscriber
I thought that lots of bits of the Airbus were carbon fibre.
Wings for the A300 and onwards ?

:pDT_Xtremez_42: