• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

A Real 1st World Problem. Bar Ettiquette

G

Gord

You did well to see a pre-decimal two penny piece, As far as I am aware they were only minted for one year (1797) and were not used in circulation after 1860.

I can just remember seeing farthings but they were pulled from circulation when I was one year old.

To tell the truth I only ever saw one tupenny piece, a mate of mine showed it to me and said he had found it in a box of bits and pieces that had belonged to his grandfather who had recently passed away. I would have been about 11 or 12 yrs old at the time so that would be around 1955 or 1956. It looked like it was made of solid copper or possibly bronze, was slightly larger in diameter than a penny, a penny being also made of the same material (about the size of a 50P piece) but the tupenny piece was about 3/16 of an inch thick, perhaps almost 1/4"

Last edited:

Ronsuddes

SAC
If the Civilian Barman kept the bar open after his paid time finished it was only fair to add an additional drink if only to ensure he would do the same again another night.

Gonterseed

Flight Sergeant
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
There were also 80 thrupenny bits in a pound... 40 tanners or 8 half-crowns.

A 20p tip would have been equivalent to 16 thrupenny bits.

Digzster

Sergeant
Cheers Barch . I feel OK about my error as it demonstrates my ignorance on a subject that I'm too young to remember. :pDT_Xtremez_19:

Perhaps duty mess barman could be reintroduced got to be more interesting than orderly Sgt. Seriously, i wonder what era and place digster is talking about there. I certainly haven't seen that. And that takes us back to early to mid eighties.

RHRAM, First one was at Benbecula in 87, followed by Henlow. Last one I did was in Goose Bay 2001. My first week was not at actual workplace, but in the mess bar full time. This was where I met all and sundry (and them me). It was a great way to take the pulse of the unit.

rest have risen above me

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
Thinking back I recall goose doing it but as I only ever visited I never did it. Forgetting about goose is allowed due to milk and tia Maria abuse

Tips

Tips

I am always happy to say 'one for yourself' and all the Sgt's Mess bars I have been to have done the 10/20/round up to the nearest 50p thing.

In Akroitri however, after they went to the Euro, they suddenly started rounding up significantly taking at least a Euro or two everytime. Everyone then stopped using that saying and just taking their change.

Greedy .......

iainrm

Corporal
lots of scope

lots of scope

One of my jobs after leaving was installing point of sale systems in pubs including flow meters on the beer pumps.
Turnover increased an average of 30% overnight which gives you some idea of the potential profit/loss in any bar.
Therefore if its computerized give him a tip if not he is likely making more than you!

Sniffer

Super Moderator
Maybe if its the landlord, but we are talking about tipping bar staff whos wages generally arent affected by the profit and loss of the establishment. To some degree the same can be said for the landlord if he is on a set wage from the brewery.

G

Gord

Maybe if its the landlord, but we are talking about tipping bar staff whos wages generally arent affected by the profit and loss of the establishment. To some degree the same can be said for the landlord if he is on a set wage from the brewery.

I don't see the problem, if I get good service I give a tip, if I get crap service they can kiss my arse.

Sniffer

Super Moderator
I don't see the problem, if I get good service I give a tip, if I get crap service they can kiss my arse.

Fair point and I agree, my comment was aimed at iainrm though Gord.

Im unlikely to stop and ask if Im being served by the landlord before I say "take your own".

Biccys

LAC
I was always told the standard for NAAFI staff to take was 10p per round. In one mess I went to the bar staff was told "one for yourself" for a round of about £15 and she took the dearest drink of the whole round and took it up to over £17. That was the last tip she got that night....

G

Gord

In the workingman's club that my B-in-Law frequents, the term "And one for yourself" is usually answered with "Thanks, I'll have a half of shandy". Of course they don't pour themselves one or they'd be as p!ssed as rats halfway through the evening but it's a pretty cheap tip and all they expect. If anyone said they'd have a double Scotch, I'd stand there until the bloodywell poured and drank it and it would be the last time the offer was made to them.