• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

A quart WILL fit into a pint pot

Barch

Grim Reaper 2016
1000+ Posts
It looks like 'change for the sake of change'

A few quotes lifted from a very well known and damning report about an aircraft crash ...

“There was no doubt that the culture at the time had switched. In the days of >> Sir Colin Terry << you had to be on top of airworthiness. By 2004, you had to be on top of your budget, if you wanted to get ahead”.
(Former Senior RAF Officer, 2008)

“Bureaucracy and process trumped thoroughness and reason.”
(Columbia Accident Investigation Board Report, 2003)

And my favourite:

“We trained hard, but it seemed that every time we were beginning to form up into teams, we would be reorganized. I was to learn later in life that we tend to meet any new situation by reorganizing; and a wonderful method it can be for creating the illusion of progress while producing confusion, inefficiency, and demoralization.”
(Gaius Petronius Arbiter, 210 BC)

Reading through this thread and numerous other threads on this forum it looks like a lot of the Haddon - Cave report have been ignored.

Last edited:

propersplitbrainme

Warrant Officer
Tagging this onto an existing thread about training rather than start a new one...

I watched the program about British Airways last night and was gobsmacked at their uncompromising approach to training their cabin crew. The staff are interested only in making sure the best people who are going to present the best, and safest, face of their company graduate from their training program. Any of the trainee cabin crew who fail an exam or commit any other minor misdemeanor such as arriving late (even a couple of minutes) or presenting themselves in anything other than 'regulation' style and manner receive a training snapshot to which they have no right to reply. Four training snapshots and their contract is terminated there and then, one lad was binned off for receiving his 4th snapshot (3 minutes late) and when the class reassembled after lunch there was an empty seat where he was sat - no concern about him now being unemployed, giving him another chance etc.

Instructors opinion trusted implicitly by the management, no 'other side to the story'. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm I wonder where the polar opposite situation occurs ATT2.gif

Tin basher

Knackered Old ****
Staff member
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Instructors opinion trusted implicitly by the management, no 'other side to the story'. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm I wonder where the polar opposite situation occurs View attachment 13378

Oh can I have a guess? Can I,:S can I:S, please.

On a more serious note it does appear that instituting wholesale changes to training courses without ensuring it all still joins together is child's play. Well at least when compared to the acres of rain forest that must be destroyed and multiplicity of meeting that must be held to even attempt to jettison an underperforming Brit student.

Harry B'Stard

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts
If course compression is what is required then it has to be driven through the right processes starting with a TNA - what does the sponsor want teaching and to what depth?; the latter never gets resolved. And then put a small team of currently serving SNCOs together, personnel who not only know the job that the trainees will be doing but also understand training, writing ISpecs etc and get them to write the whole thing - the technical part at least - from start to finish. That is the only way you will get something new, something streamlined, something joined up, something that positively discards outdated technology, rather than a regurgitation of all the previous iterations of the course that results from running the same idea through the same heads over and over.

OK, I'll get off my soapbox now.

Didn't they use this approach with the new 1235 Technicians course? What could possibly have gone wrong? :pDT_Xtremez_15:

HTB

Goatherdingsplitter

Rebel without a clue
Tagging this onto an existing thread about training rather than start a new one...

I watched the program about British Airways last night and was gobsmacked at their uncompromising approach to training their cabin crew. The staff are interested only in making sure the best people who are going to present the best, and safest, face of their company graduate from their training program. Any of the trainee cabin crew who fail an exam or commit any other minor misdemeanor such as arriving late (even a couple of minutes) or presenting themselves in anything other than 'regulation' style and manner receive a training snapshot to which they have no right to reply. Four training snapshots and their contract is terminated there and then, one lad was binned off for receiving his 4th snapshot (3 minutes late) and when the class reassembled after lunch there was an empty seat where he was sat - no concern about him now being unemployed, giving him another chance etc.

Instructors opinion trusted implicitly by the management, no 'other side to the story'. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm I wonder where the polar opposite situation occurs View attachment 13378

Nor any right of appeal, or taking the case to their MP. See the big yellow streak down the hierarchy's back is still evident at a certain establishment!