• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

A few questions about joining the reserves

Hi,

I've been thinking about joining the Army reserves. I'm at the 50 age limit and need to work on my fitness/weight (just over on the BMI and working on my running speed).

Anyway, seeing that the RAF upper age limit is higher I'm thinking it will give me a little more time if needed and potentially longer in once trained.

The website says you commit for 12 years - so until I'm 62 if I joined now. The Army age limit to serve is 55 with potential annual extension until your 60th. Is the RAF 12 years whatever?

Should circumstances change, the Army reserves say you can leave at any time (as long as you're not deployed). What's the score with the RAF? It seems vague from what I can find on the website.

What's the typical contribution time wise? I know it's 27 days, with a two week 'camp' - do reserves spend a whole weekend at their base or do they have the choice to do a day at the weekends?

Finally, living in S London the nearest base is Northolt otherwise it's Benson. Presumably there's no weekday evening attendance required?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Mag2grid

Corporal
Hi,

I've been thinking about joining the Army reserves. I'm at the 50 age limit and need to work on my fitness/weight (just over on the BMI and working on my running speed).

Anyway, seeing that the RAF upper age limit is higher I'm thinking it will give me a little more time if needed and potentially longer in once trained.

The website says you commit for 12 years - so until I'm 62 if I joined now. The Army age limit to serve is 55 with potential annual extension until your 60th. Is the RAF 12 years whatever?

Should circumstances change, the Army reserves say you can leave at any time (as long as you're not deployed). What's the score with the RAF? It seems vague from what I can find on the website.

What's the typical contribution time wise? I know it's 27 days, with a two week 'camp' - do reserves spend a whole weekend at their base or do they have the choice to do a day at the weekends?

Finally, living in S London the nearest base is Northolt otherwise it's Benson. Presumably there's no weekday evening attendance required?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

ref commitment - you sign on for 12 years if something changes in your life or you just don't like it anymore you can resign from the squadron. I don't believe any of the trades carry a return of service once you are phase 2 trained but you're best to check.

depending on what trade you opt for depends what you will do at the weekends. At 606 the Regiment guys normally leave on a Friday evening and we don't see them again until final parade on the Sunday. Ops and the other trades normally do phase 3 or consolidation training.

The 27 days a year thing is a little bit of sore point for some people - yes your commitment is 27 days a year however to get your bounty payment you need to have done 12 days Normal Continious Training ( I've attend 6 training weekends or a combination of weekend training totalling 12 days) plus 14 days Annual Continuation Training ( 2 week camp or courses of more then 4 days ,totalling 14 days or more, in your first year BRTC at Halton ticks that box). Unlike the TA there is no week day commitment for training evenings.

both squadrons you are looking at are pretty much full depending on what trade you are looking at. 606 regularly has open days so get yourself booked on to one.

depending on what trade you opt for depends what you will do at the weekends. At 606 the Regiment guys normally leave on a Friday evening and we don't see them again until final parade on the Sunday. Ops and the other trades normally do phase 3 or consolidation training.

Thanks for the info, very helpful.

From what you said I take it weekends are full weekends away then, not just a Saturday or Sunday at base.

I will try to get to an open day soon, or one of the events where there's an RAF careers stand.

Stevienics

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
From what you said I take it weekends are full weekends away then, not just a Saturday or Sunday at base.

Again, it depends upon your choice of trade, but not in your first few months as you build up to BRT at Halton. Also, depending on the training and the trade, you may be on base or at another base.

Bear in mind also that your duty days are Sat and Sun, unless there is dispensation to be on duty for the extra 1/4 day in th Friday. This is important as it affects more than your pay. You cannot be on duty and not on duty at the same time.