• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

29 years ago

rocket scientist

Sergeant
Germany was re-unified, the hubble space telescope was launched, the USSR was in the process of dissolving and I stepped off the train at Newark railway station.

Awaiting replies of "get some time in" and "smally". :) :) :) :) :)

Last edited:

vim_fuego

Hung Like a Baboon.
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
I was on SAR standby (sleeping in a bunk in the flight building) at STM and woke up to switch in the crew room TV to see the scenes in Berlin. The elders there with me correctly predicted a grim future for the RAF based on those pictures.

Talk Wrench

E-Goat addict
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
And not long after, Options for Change was instigated and the downsizing began in earnest.

Oldstacker

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
I was in Germany at the time, posted to Gutersloh. The lead up to reunification, most particularly the initial bringing down of the wall, led to some nervousness as I recall because (other than Gatow) we were the nearest unit to East Germany and had Gorbachev decided to play the hard line and use force to bolster the border up again it could have all turned very nasty...… Even when it was clear that all was going to be ok and the Trabby's started heading west in big numbers the Germans on the Sqdn rapidly became nervous about the impact on the German economy since they were well aware of the disparity between East & West....