• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

2009 Singapore GP preview

MrMasher

Somewhere else now!
Subscriber
Right then, I haven't forgotten!
The preview will be posted this evening sometime. I did the written bit last week on a different PC and forgot to email it across on Friday! I need to add a few bits yet.
I havent got the time this afternoon so I'll finish it later and post it this evening.

In the meantime, we have a spare preview for the next race at Japan. Grumpy is very busy and doesnt have the time to do it.

I would like to offer this anyone who hasnt yet written a preview, perhaps one of the mods? Any takers?

MrMasher

Somewhere else now!
Subscriber
2009 Singapore GP

Last year saw an eventful race at Marina Bay. It was F1’s first ever night time race and much was made of the technology and number of lighting units used. We saw the electronic flag system, which has been carried forwards this season to many other circuits.

The 2008 race was actually announced in 2007 by Bernie. He had made a five year deal with an entrepreneur called Mr Ong Beng Seng (made up name?!). Much was made of the fact that a far eastern track would hold a night time race to be convenient for the European fans.

The track is made up mostly of public roads and 1/5th has been specifically made for the Grand Prix. Anti clockwise it consists of 24 turns (14 lefts and 10 rights) and has a length of 5.1km. Lots of slow speed corners make this a relatively slow track with an average speed of 110mph and full throttle over one lap being at around 50%. Tyre wear is noted as medium and as the last few tracks have shown the Bridgestones used recently seem capable. Brake wear is noted as being very high along with high downforce.
They reach 190mph on the fastest part of the track, Raffles Boulevard before and after turn 6. Most of the slow speed corners are 2nd gear corners and one lap will see 40 gear changes.

The lap record is held by Kimi Raikkonen on a 1m 45.599.

Here is a good interactive track layout.

This year the track has been reportedly altered:
“Organisers of last year’s inaugural Singapore Grand Prix have confirmed that changes will be made to the Marina Bay street circuit ahead of the 2009 race.
Turns 1, 13 and 14 will be modified to improve overtaking, a better road surface with fewer bumps installed between turns 5 and 7, and runoff reduced at turn 22 for the benefit of spectators.
The most significant addition will be a dedicated pit entry, with some drivers complaining last year about an unsafe exit speed differential between cars entering for service and those staying on track.
The pit exit will also be modified for safety reasons.”

Good news then. The track was seen to be very bumpy last year and the speed difference at the pit lane was scary.

Last year it was quite an eventful race. Alonso was light fuelled and, according to the recent radio transcripts, his first stint was shortened to gain some track space. Shortly afterwards Piquet crashed at turn 7, the only place on the track where access is poor to remove stricken cars. Allegedly, telemetry obtained from Renault shows that, Piquet’s car went light into turn 7 and he applied full throttle. Now to the layman this seems wrong, why would you apply full throttle when your car goes light you are at a street circuit enclosed by barriers? To me the maths seems quite simple. Spinny roundy and smash! Anyway, Fernando had already pitted and the pit lane was then closed for a few laps. Some others pitted and picked up penalties and when it all shook itself out, Fernando was in the lead and went on to win the race.
We all know what happened next.....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZrCVbU6pWQ

Also last year saw the infamous traffic light system at Ferrari undo Massa’s race win hopes. Remember him driving down the pit lane with the fuel hose attached??

A high downforce track may not be as kind as the last few to Force India. Have McLaren truly got more downforce? Will Vettel manage the weekend without blowing an engine?

More importantly are there any current drivers managed by Flavio? Kovy? Webber? Grosjean?

Today saw the world motor sports council hand out (in my opinion) a very lenient punishment. Renault have a suspended 2 year ban. Bear in mind that in 2007 Renault were found guilty after McLaren and evaded punishment. I think they have gotten away with it because the FIA realise that Renault would probably leave F1 if they received a massive fine. They lose ING as title sponsor at the end of this season and apparently they'll lose their star driver as well.

Here's a small bit of info shamelessy nicked from wiki
Allegations were subsequently made during November 2007 by the FIA against the Renault F1 team regarding information they were found to have in their possession concerning the 2006 and 2007 McLaren F1 cars. These allegations were also the subject of an FIA investigation, with an FIA hearing taking place 6 December 2007. Renault were found guilty of breaching the same regulation as McLaren, but were not punished.

Allegations against Renault F1
On 8 November 2007, the FIA announced that the Renault F1 team would be summoned before the FIA World Motorsport Council to answer a charge of possession of confidential information relating to the 2006 and 2007 McLarenFormula One cars. The statement issued by the FIA states that Renault F1 was found to have information "including, but not limited to the layout and critical dimensions of the McLaren F1 car, together with details of the McLaren fuelling system, gear assembly, oil cooling system, hydraulic control system and a novel suspension component used by the 2006 and 2007 McLaren F1 cars". The date for the hearing was set for December 6, 2007.[15] The espionage claims are thought to revolve around an employee, Philip Mackereth, who transferred from McLaren to Renault, according to FIA President Max Mosley.[16]

On 6 December, Renault were found guilty of breaching article 151(c) of the International Sporting Code by another FIA WMSC hearing, but escaped penalty.[31]

Elsewhere rumours are rife that McLaren will sign up Kimi. Ferrari are reportedly refusing to pay off his 2010 contract so he is adamantly staying at Ferrari until they pay him off! So.....if he goes to McLaren does that mean I'll have to buy McLaren merchandise?:pDT_Xtremez_42:

I suppose the next big announcement will be of Alonso going to Ferrari now that he has been cleared of any wrong doing by the WMSC.

Also today, there was an announcement of next years provisional calendar. 19 races including a new one in South Korea.
2010 FIA Formula One World Championship calendar
14 March - Bahrain
28 March - Australia
4 April - Malaysia
18 April - China
9 May - Spain
23 May - Monaco
30 May - Turkey
13 June - Canada*
27 June - Europe (Valencia)
11 July - Great Britain
25 July - Germany
1 August - Hungary
29 August - Belgium
12 September - Italy
26 September - Singapore
3 October - Japan
17 October - Korea
31 October - Abu Dhabi
14 November - Brazil

Viewing times for this weekend:

SINGAPORE
Friday 25 September
First practice: 1100-1230, BBC Red Button/online & BBC Radio 5 Live sports extra/online
Second practice: 1430-1600, BBC Red Button/online & BBC Radio 5 Live sports extra/online
Repeated on the Red Button service from 1600

Inside F1: 1830-1845, BBC News Channel, then repeated on the Red Button
Saturday 26 September
Third practice: 1155-1305, BBC Red Button/online & BBC Radio 5 Live sports extra/online

Qualifying: 1400-1615, BBC One/BBC Red Button/Radio 5 Live/online
Qualifying re-run: 1800-1200 Sunday, BBC Red Button (times and services vary on Freeview)
Sunday 27 September
Race: 1210-1500, BBC One/BBC Red Button/Radio 5 Live/online
Race re-run: 1600-1600 Tuesday, BBC Red Button (times and services vary on Freeview)
Interactive Forum: 1500-1600, BBC Red Button/online
Highlights: 1900-2000, BBC Three/BBC Red Button/online

High downforce should suit the Brawns. They'll probably tank up and one stop with the likes of McLaren (Lewis), Ferrari (Kimi) and Alonso (again!) going light.

I am assuming that the TV coverage will be absolutely full of this weeks news so I'll stop it here.

Enjoy the weekend boys n girls!:pDT_Xtremez_30: Don't forget the BBC red button!

MrMasher

Somewhere else now!
Subscriber
The track at Marinas Bay has been altered. Linky

With four race weekends left here are the engines used so far:
McLaren
Lewis Hamilton - 7
Heikki Kovalainen - 7

Ferrari
Giancarlo Fisichella - 6
Kimi Raikkonen - 6

BMW
Robert Kubica - 7
Nick Heidfeld - 7

Renault
Fernando Alonso - 6
Romain Grosjean - 6

Toyota
Jarno Trulli - 7
Timo Glock - 7

Toro Rosso
Jaime Alguersuari - 6
Sebastien Buemi - 6

Red Bull
Mark Webber - 7
Sebastian Vettel - 8

Williams
Nico Rosberg - 7
Kazuki Nakajima - 7

Alonso has set his sights on a podium finish. Linky
I would laugh my arse off if Grosjean happened to spin off just after Alonso pits:pDT_Xtremez_30:

More worrying though is the possibility that we might not see Spa for a while. Looks like the locals have been moaning about the noise so the circuit has had its operating licence suspended for a nice round 17 years. Linky

Ferrari are still considering their 2010 driver line up. Linky
Now I think there is something obvious here and Monte is lying.
They aren't 100% sure of Massa returning so they are keeping their options open just in case they need to keep Kimi. Another factor is that Kimi won't leave unless Ferrari pay him for his 2010 contract. Rumours are rife that he has an outline deal with McLaren.

Hamilton reckons that Piquet could return to F1. Linky
I very much doubt it for the near future!

MrMasher

Somewhere else now!
Subscriber
Excellent intro again. Roll on the weekend.

Cheers KQ. I didn't think anyone had bothered reading it!

Another little bit of news...Bob Bell has been appointed by Renault to be their new team principal. Bob has been Renault's technical director since 2002. Linky

Parky

Corporal
Another nice intro MM, I am looking forward to actually watching this one as it is on my swing shift. Slept through the last one it was between my night shifts.

Realist78

Master of my destiny
Excellent intro MM, another top weekend in the offing thanks to F1 & Stella.:pDT_Xtremez_19:

MrMasher

Somewhere else now!
Subscriber
Another nice intro MM, I am looking forward to actually watching this one as it is on my swing shift. Slept through the last one it was between my night shifts.

Unlucky mate. This one doesnt promise to be amazing to be honest, unless the track improvements really do make a difference.

The program, I suspect, will be full of the recent "news":pDT_Xtremez_30:

G

grumpyoldb

Unlucky mate. This one doesnt promise to be amazing to be honest, unless the track improvements really do make a difference.

What recent news? Has summat happened in F1 since the last race?

G

grumpyoldb

You been smoking pot up yer allotment/allottment/alottment/alotment* for the last 2 weeks?

* delete as fricking applicable!

No.............but there again, I don't go to Renault race weekends.................! :pDT_Xtremez_14:

MrMasher

Somewhere else now!
Subscriber
No.............but there again, I don't go to Renault race weekends.................! :pDT_Xtremez_14:
I only went once to see what is was like! Seeing as I havent lived that close to a decent racetrack before I am making the most of it!
I went to Rockingham last weekend for BTCC. It was brilliant. Safety car action in all 7 races due to smashy smashy!!

Anyway, thats all Off Topic

I read that Flavio is talking about setting up his own race series.

Also A1GP's future is uncertain. Something to do with the engine supplier.....:pDT_Xtremez_42:

G

grumpyoldb

I only went once to see what is was like! Seeing as I havent lived that close to a decent racetrack before I am making the most of it!
I went to Rockingham last weekend for BTCC. It was brilliant. Safety car action in all 7 races due to smashy smashy!!

Anyway, thats all Off Topic

I read that Flavio is talking about setting up his own race series.

Also A1GP's future is uncertain. Something to do with the engine supplier.....:pDT_Xtremez_42:

I seriously think that Flav is now finished as far as F1 is concerned.............

He's not skint by any means.

G

grumpyoldb

Masher, I have a McLaren shirt going cheap if you think you need it..........? :pDT_Xtremez_14:

MrMasher

Somewhere else now!
Subscriber
Ex-Bay you could have posted that in the general motorsport forums. It isn't really relevent to this particular thread!

It's fine in here grumps. It keeps it all together in one place rather than being scattered all over. That's one of the reasons I started these threads.

I Look Like Kevin Costner

Grand Prix fanatic..
Renault Sponsors pull the plug..

Renault Sponsors pull the plug..

In light of the cheating fisaco of last years Singapore GP, Renault have lost their title sponsor and one brought on by Alonso, with immediate effect..

Linky..

ING were going at the end of the year anyway..