• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

15 hours Free Nursery

Downsizer

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Important thing to note is that it is only free during term time....

busby1971

Super Moderator
Staff member
1000+ Posts
It's a great way to get your kids into good social habits, mixing and interacting.

Where we lived there was a nursery opened just to provide this service, and having used both commercial day nurseries and this one the activities were much better.

beowulf

Sergeant
My daughter went through this 2 years ago and my boy is about to go through it next week. We are in Scotland, your experience may vary.

My nursery sends a nominal roll to the local council to claim the places on your behalf so we did not have to fill out any paperwork. My kids can claim it "from" the age of 3, but it ties in with school terms and is designed to give a year-ish of places. My boy was 3 at the end of March so his free place does not start next week (as pointed out it is only term time and scottish schools go back on Tuesday).

Now the small print that caught me out the first time.

You get 5 2.5 hour slots. At most 2 can be used in a single day. Myself and the wife works full time on those days so we pay a couple of quid a day for what they term "wrap around" to look after them between the morning and afternoon slots and at the end of the day. I don't know if this is specific to my council but I was annoyed that I could not get a whole extra "free" day out these slots.

Hope this helps. As I said, this is my personal experience of the situation, it may be specific to my local authority or to Scotland. But once you have them on it as others have said nursery is a real positive in junior's life and helps get them ready for school.

Good luck.

vim_fuego

Hung Like a Baboon.
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
The one on camp where you are heading is very good...also I know of one just off camp that is ran by a forces family that also excels...we used the one housed with total fitness down in Lincoln that meant we could go load the guns whilst the wee one was having fun...and they got to use the pool in there and the big dance rooms...used to come home knackered but happy! They all deal with the vouchers scheme very well.

Don't forget the scheme where you can buy nursery vouchers from your untaxed pay!

wolfy

Warrant Officer
My daughter went through this 2 years ago and my boy is about to go through it next week. We are in Scotland, your experience may vary.

My nursery sends a nominal roll to the local council to claim the places on your behalf so we did not have to fill out any paperwork. My kids can claim it "from" the age of 3, but it ties in with school terms and is designed to give a year-ish of places. My boy was 3 at the end of March so his free place does not start next week (as pointed out it is only term time and scottish schools go back on Tuesday).

Now the small print that caught me out the first time.

You get 5 2.5 hour slots. At most 2 can be used in a single day. Myself and the wife works full time on those days so we pay a couple of quid a day for what they term "wrap around" to look after them between the morning and afternoon slots and at the end of the day. I don't know if this is specific to my council but I was annoyed that I could not get a whole extra "free" day out these slots.

But don't forget that as soon as your child starts with a school even if it's only for mornings in reception or their pre school nursery. The funding then goes to the school from the council and you end up paying full wack at the nursery if they are used to care for the child in the afternoons

ScoobTech

Sergeant
The one on camp where you are heading is very good...also I know of one just off camp that is ran by a forces family that also excels...we used the one housed with total fitness down in Lincoln that meant we could go load the guns whilst the wee one was having fun...and they got to use the pool in there and the big dance rooms...used to come home knackered but happy! They all deal with the vouchers scheme very well.

Don't forget the scheme where you can buy nursery vouchers from your untaxed pay!

The one on camp has just changed hands, to a charity called 4 children.

So at the minute everything is bare, as the Company that did have the contract stripped all their stuff out of it. The staff are staying the same though, for now.

SirSaltyHelmet

Thoroughly Nice Chap
But don't forget that as soon as your child starts with a school even if it's only for mornings in reception or their pre school nursery. The funding then goes to the school from the council and you end up paying full wack at the nursery if they are used to care for the child in the afternoons

Confused by that one!

wolfy

Warrant Officer
SSH

Its simple really, the grant goes to the nursery which allows an element of free or cheap childcare.

As soon as the child goes to a school that has a pre school set up the funding then goes to the school.

If you then require child care to cover for when the child is "out of school" because the funding is now with the school you will have to pay the normal rate of the nursery. unless you can come to some sort of arrangement with the nursery providing care.