• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Your energy tips

Rocket_Ronster

You ain`t seen me.
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Not sure if I have said this before on here but it so genius that if I have you're welcome...

Since we were able to pay a bunch of people to stay at home for @18 months during a pandemic, we should spend a bit more to help solve a problem.

Give everyone who is in a situation to receive them some solar panels. 8 for a normal size roof and more if they can handle it. Plumb the whole lot into the grid. People use what they need from them and the excess from approx 35 million mini producers goes back into the grid to feed into those that can't have them, industry and battery farms for nocturnal use.

This may allow some of the more polluting power producers to switch off and the burden on others to reduce.

I get the supply chain and technical issues (including the carbon burden on production of that many items but you can't make an omelette without...etc) but over time all could be overcome.
Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear.
And how will the ruling party get its kick back if this happens ???

Cornish_Pikey

Sergeant
I'm buggered, no hot water tank.

I was asking about the full setup cost for your solar and then the £300 on top for the widget.

Rocket_Ronster

You ain`t seen me.
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
20 Panels and a 6kw battery pack was £10,800
Devil is in the detail, though.

How big (wattage) are the panels ?
Are they cheaply manufactured ? (Panels degrade over time, cheap Chinese tat will degrade faster than US market leaders, so in 10yrs time you may only be getting 40% of what you could be.)
Do the individual panels have a converter, or is it one central one for all 20 ? (If it's a single one, all 20 panels will each only provide what the lowest producer is making; whereas if it's a multi system, what you make you keep.)
What's the warranty ? (Some bits of the system may have suffered with cost cutting and only get a 10yr warranty.)

Rocket_Ronster

You ain`t seen me.
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
At my current rate, that's about a five year return. Not to shabby. Thanks for the info.
Don 't expect that to hold true.
Unless you go for a really big battery storage you'll never be "off grid". What you buy in costs 7x more than what you export. (Can you guess which joined up set of morons inflicted that upon us, yep, then that binned our gas storage tanks.) And you'll always be buying in, it's part of the battery protection, and to help with surges like the kettle etc.

kawoloki

Sergeant
Devil is in the detail, though.

How big (wattage) are the panels ?
Are they cheaply manufactured ? (Panels degrade over time, cheap Chinese tat will degrade faster than US market leaders, so in 10yrs time you may only be getting 40% of what you could be.)
Do the individual panels have a converter, or is it one central one for all 20 ? (If it's a single one, all 20 panels will each only provide what the lowest producer is making; whereas if it's a multi system, what you make you keep.)
What's the warranty ? (Some bits of the system may have suffered with cost cutting and only get a 10yr warranty.)
Yep good questions.

My main regret about the install I had was going too low with battery capacity (modular system, 3x 2.5kW for 7.5kW total). The battery quality from Sonnen is good if a little pricy but I only get a max of 3.5kW output which means I can't run tumble dryer / washing machine / oven all at once.

I'd have been better going with the bigger (non modular) 10kW battery that has max output of 4.5kW.

Solar panels are from JA solar which are the 2nd biggest Chinese manufacturer, efficiency is only 2.5% lower than Sunpower who look like the class leader... time will tell though, I track the usage and generation quite a lot, have one year of live data so far...

ady eflog

Harrier Mafia
1000+ Posts
Ive got a Growatt Inverter, Growatt battery pack and decent black panels, all with a 10 year warranty, 7 on the east ands 13 on the west to capture all day long, part of it is you have to change they way you use energy, washing machine and tumble dryer or heated towel rails on during the day, we also have a log burner and put a warm roof on the conservatory so have done about as much as we can. I was looking into grey water recycling at 5k its a bit pricey to get rid of the £50 a month water bill.