• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Your energy tips

Tin basher

Knackered Old ****
Staff member
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
With the current rise in energy prices what (If anything) are you doing at home to reduce your bills? Any good tips for the rest of your fellow goaters.

Here at TB Towers I have reduced by only 10 minutes per day the amount of time I heat the hot water. 10 minutes a day is 1 hour 10 minutes a week or 4 hours 40 minutes per month. So my costs are reduced by whatever it would cost to heat water for over 13 hours per quarter. I have noticed no failings in day to day availability of hot water.

Barch

Grim Reaper 2016
1000+ Posts
Wear a string vest under a tight shirt and wear a pullover in the house and turn the heating down by 3˚.

busby1971

Super Moderator
Staff member
1000+ Posts
Hot water tanks (Modern ones) once hot don’t really need much energy to keep warm, if you can turn down the water temperature that’ll save a bit more, if youve got mixer taps you won’t even notice.

Upstairs thermostat set lower than the downstairs one.

Put food in oven before it gets up to temperature, turn it off 5 mins before food done.

Led bulbs all round, timer switches where the lights can be accidently left on.

You can then get some more marginal savings by turning electrical items at the wall, it’s understood that modems and routers use quite a bit of juice, so turning them off can help.

Spearmint

Ex-Harrier Mafia Member
1000+ Posts
Open a Crematorium on your property and pipe the heat into your house.

With all the potential free fuel going round this Winter, you'll be quids in.

Barch

Grim Reaper 2016
1000+ Posts
Open a Crematorium on your property and pipe the heat into your house.

With all the potential free fuel going round this Winter, you'll be quids in.
There was a bit of controvesy a few years back about using the waste heat from a crematorium to heat a local swimming pool.

It was somewhere in the midlands IIRC.

Tin basher

Knackered Old ****
Staff member
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Led bulbs all round,
Thought that had been done here but checked this morning 4 bulbs not LED. 1 old style (understairs cupboard) and 3 more modern halogen jobs binned them all and fitted LED's all for less than £6.

foxOneFive

Corporal
Buy a wood and get a log burner…
Speaking to the owner of a wood burning stove shop today. She says there's massive demand for them at the moment, and she's having to wait for months for deliveries. All because....you've guessed it....bloody Putin invading Ukraine and a lack of steel ffs

Stevienics

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
Make use of your veterans ID Card. Gain access to the nearest RAF Base and kick the arse out of the singly blocks washing utility rooms.

..........have a bath filled right to overflow point while you are waiting.

ady eflog

Harrier Mafia
1000+ Posts
Invest 10k into 20 solar panels and a 6kw battery storage.(wallop energy highly recommended) im off grid, dont have a lecky bill and they owe me as once my battery is full it powers the house and feeds into the grid. it will be paid for in 3 years compared to the £300 a month bill. I also invested a couple of years ago in a 6kw wood stove in the conservatory. Double win as its 3m from the house the flue doesn't need to be massive which is the major cost of installing one, it heats the whole house and the conservatory is used all year round.

Cornish_Pikey

Sergeant
We passive cook our veg/pasta. Takes a few minutes longer but uses a little less gas on the hob.

Boil water in a kettle.
Chuck into pan with Veg.
Bring water back to boil and turn off heat.
Leave for an extra ten minutes.
Voila, perfectly cooked veg or pasta.

Barch

Grim Reaper 2016
1000+ Posts
Invest 10k into 20 solar panels and a 6kw battery storage.(wallop energy highly recommended) im off grid, dont have a lecky bill and they owe me as once my battery is full it powers the house and feeds into the grid. it will be paid for in 3 years compared to the £300 a month bill. I also invested a couple of years ago in a 6kw wood stove in the conservatory. Double win as its 3m from the house the flue doesn't need to be massive which is the major cost of installing one, it heats the whole house and the conservatory is used all year round.

I would but, my house is Grade II listed and I'm not allowed to alter the externals in any way shape or form.

The house is built of local stone (stolen from the local castle ruins I think) about30 inches thick with the insulation properties of an iron bar. I looked at external cladding insulation but not allowed, so looked at internal insulation panels but the cost recovery would be about 45 years and not worth it at my age.

muttywhitedog

Retired Rock Star 5.5.14
1000+ Posts
Plan meals so everything goes in oven whilst it is on - none of this separate meal times malarky that has gone on in days gone by.

Switching TV off at night instead of leaving it on standby.

Wearing a fleece indoors - I've been a bugger for walking around in shorts & t-shirt and then turning the heating up. Thermostat is at 18C and house is warm enough.