• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

You got to love this Vectra

SORRY CJ

Flight Sergeant
Hi there,

Can anyone cast some light on this troublesome Vectra?

1995 1600 N reg Vectra

Started ok this morning after a very short time noticed that the battery
light stayed on and brightness increased with rev's.

Check under the bonnet to no avail.

When I continued to drive the battery light still increased brightness with
revs also the speedo and rev counter seemed to go up at the sane rate until
about 25mph when the both went down to zero. I slowed down and they
returned to indicating speed and revs (but I don't think that the revs were
maatching the speed). As speed/revs increased they dropped down again, this
was accompanied with all the warning lights (air bag, eng management and
battery light) flashing independent of each other.

Can anybody out there point me it the right direction and please not to the
local scrap dealers.

Thanks in advance.

SCJ

sadscopie

SAC
Hi there,

Can anyone cast some light on this troublesome Vectra?

1995 1600 N reg Vectra

Started ok this morning after a very short time noticed that the battery
light stayed on and brightness increased with rev's.

Check under the bonnet to no avail.

When I continued to drive the battery light still increased brightness with
revs also the speedo and rev counter seemed to go up at the sane rate until
about 25mph when the both went down to zero. I slowed down and they
returned to indicating speed and revs (but I don't think that the revs were
maatching the speed). As speed/revs increased they dropped down again, this
was accompanied with all the warning lights (air bag, eng management and
battery light) flashing independent of each other.

Can anybody out there point me it the right direction and please not to the
local scrap dealers.

Thanks in advance.

SCJ

I had similar problems with my Scenic, the solution? A £600 new instrument panel. Check the Scrappies though, there are companies that will be able to correct the mileage TBH I did'nt bother as I have the paperwork showing that it was replaced and the mileage when it was done.

SORRY CJ

Flight Sergeant
I had similar problems with my Scenic, the solution? A £600 new instrument panel. Check the Scrappies though, there are companies that will be able to correct the mileage TBH I did'nt bother as I have the paperwork showing that it was replaced and the mileage when it was done.

Cheers for that mate the story goes on.

To continue
Just went out and started car, alternator whistling but the lights went out
and all seemed fine apart from the after driving for about 400mts noticed a
smell of burning so opened up and definite smell around alternator area.
Drove home as I was about to switch off engine batt light came back on. Oh
well sh1t happens off to sort me a new alternator.

Cheers

SCJ

G

gemarriott

To continue

Cheers

SCJ

Blame the hogwart's Bengo, he's responsible for all motoring faults suffered by goaters now.:pDT_Xtremez_42:

You may get a good deal on a new alternator at his one stop motor shop :pDT_Xtremez_14:

sadscopie

SAC

To continue

Cheers

SCJ

Hmmm, I'm by no means a Fat Wallet, but I did study Electronic and Electrical engineering for 2 years, but that doesn't qualify me make a diagnosis, but I find it strange that an alternator failure would cause such symptoms. My dad and I run a '79 Corvette L-82 and it had a fault with the Alternator which caused a 'Gen' light to illuminate on the cluster but that's fairly straight forward, what I cannot understand is why you are experiencing the other faults. As I say from someone with limited knowledge I would have a guess at a failure elsewhere - was it definately the alternater that the burning smell was coming from? As it would normally just fail, it should'nt cause the dash to show faults. The only other thing I can think is that the alternator has failed and the batt is draining, but If you can start the car then there is clearly enough power to run the instruments as the dash only has a few led's/bulbs and a couple of tiny motor/electro-magnets to run the dials, these will only draw a few miliamps of current. Could it be a failure on the computer and/or wiring loom?

E

enginesuck

Thats yer flux capacitor mate ......... its gonna cost yer....:pDT_Xtremez_30:

Lamptramp

An ex-DF - in dog rescue!
If the alternator has gone it could have been that causing the fluctuations.

The diode pack might have been dieing and the a/c component of the output could have set off the tacho and speedo which are frequency devices.

Just an idea that might be b0ll0x.

However, it might all go away when the new alternator fires up.

Penguins Suck

Snap yous spine
1000+ Posts
Right listen in yous soreear CJ yous want to get rid of that vectra thems jap cars are crap. get yous self a saxo

E

Edzar

Have to agree with Lamptramp on this one mate.

A new alternator will sort it out as the diode pack can give all sorts of weird things with the rev counter etc. Same thing happened on my old C-reg Orion years ago and once the alternator was replaced all was fine and dandy.

Hope this helps.

vim_fuego

Hung Like a Baboon.
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Thats yer flux capacitor mate ......... its gonna cost yer....:pDT_Xtremez_30:

Aaarrghh stop looking inside my head...I was sooo going to use that gag until you 'thought stole' again...

The Vectra? Just push it over a cliff/into a lake or pond...claim on the insurance and get another...jeeessh it's just basics man...:pDT_Xtremez_14:

Hu Jardon

GEM is a cheeky young fek
Surely your Fruit Segment can sort it?

Surely your Fruit Segment can sort it?

Sorry VJ

You should stick with the VW FFS - anyway surely Not So Tiny Tim your acting fruit segment can help he's got a mate in Wolves who owns a scrappy

:pDT_Xtremez_30:

T

TheHogwartsBEngO

A Sad case...

A Sad case...

And here we have another example of 'I thought I'd save a few quid and buy a Vauxhall syndrome". This appears to be a terminal case.

For just 2 pounds a month (or whatever you can afford) we can ensure these people listen to sage motoring advice from people who know what they're talking about. If only he had visited "BEngO's One Stop Motor Shop", he would have known what a bag of sh!te the first load of vectras were and would have bought a sensible German saloon.

Please, just 2 pounds a month, or a simple "after a new car mate? you need to ask BEngO!" and we can avoid all this pain and suffering...

:pDT_Xtremez_15:

SORRY CJ

Flight Sergeant
Thank you chaps for all the input, especially yous cumment Kevin.

Last night the alarm went off cos the diode/rectifier pack was sucking the power out of the battery. Once the voltage drops the alarm goes off (neighbours p1ssed off bout this lol, the c@cks). Disconnected said battery and let alarm internal capacitor discharge 45min later that stopped.

Just out of curiosity, cos I didn’t know how long the alarm would continue after the battery was disconnected I called out Alcoholics Anonymous. They said what I suspected the alternator was F#cked, and the plates on the battery had started to overheat and buckle.

So at Christmas time when all be eating, drinking and being merry, I’ll be sitting in the dark just like Scrooge. NOT

Merry Christmas to you all, and yous two Pingu.

Love and Kisses (Bah Humbug)

Sorry CJ